$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Sportsmanship - very much alive and kicking in local rugby !

Author Topic: Sportsmanship - very much alive and kicking in local rugby !  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Broughton

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
Sportsmanship - very much alive and kicking in local rugby !
« on: December 13, 2021, 04:44:03 PM »
I thought I would share this good news story, after refereeing a splendid game of competitive rugby last Saturday 11.12.21

Rounghegians 2nds  travelled to Huddersfield YMCA 2nds with only 11 of their own men. Many sides would have bottled out and called the game off beforehand !
The YMCA captain was grateful for them coming without a full side , and sportingly agreed to provide enough players to Rounghegians, so that a 15 a side game could take place.  They even managed to find a spare prop, so the scums could be contested throughout the whole game !   

Despite the bitter cold conditions and driving rain, 7 tries were scored in an open game with some skilful handling. The final result of  YMCA 31 - 12 Roundhegians , was a fair result.

In these days of league rugby , where points are everything, it was refreshing to see the true spirit of the game !  well done to both teams !

Offline the blind ref

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
Re: Sportsmanship - very much alive and kicking in local rugby !
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 07:49:18 PM »
YMCA 2nds  good set of lads and i was well looked after in the bar when i did them this season

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 06:36:31 AM »
This will become more the standard form of rugby as playing numbers continue to drop.
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Offline Fredsbar

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 04:57:31 PM »
Congratulations Roundhegians and YM. As BRB has said this could happen more than we would like, but times are changing. Even World Rugby are realising that the regulations don’t fit into modern society.
Well done to Aireborough and Nestle Rowntree who played the first match under Game On principals in Yorkshire. Let’s adapt and adopt.

Offline gateprop

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 05:12:34 PM »
We’ve had it a few times this season with our 2nds travelling light and the majority of teams have been very accommodating and just happy to play. We’ve had a team travel to play our 1sts in Y3 without a front row and ended up with 4 of our lads pulling on a shirt for them during the game. There’s clubs in higher leagues than ours struggling to put 15 players on the pitch every week, we should all be pulling together to get games played. Well done to all those who do their best to get a game played on a Saturday afternoon!

Offline Ribbflagman

• A little respect please...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 01:19:24 AM »
Very well done to all concerned. Our 2s went to Yarnbury with 11 but were made up with Yarnburys bench players think the final score was 15-3 to the hosts. Only marred with one of their reserves having a fight with one of their players. Should bring a smile to some. Nonetheless at least 30 guys got a game of rugby when the easy option is to call it off.

Offline Oldandslow

• The lord of the Manor...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 06:31:50 AM »
Well done for Ribb travelling with 11 and for Yarnbury for levelling up both sides ensuring 30 players got a game.