$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; KNOTTLA CONCEDE TO HARROGATE

KNOTTLA CONCEDE TO HARROGATE

This is a discussion for the topic KNOTTLA CONCEDE TO HARROGATE on the board Yorkshire 3.

Author Topic: KNOTTLA CONCEDE TO HARROGATE  (Read 4380 times)

gateprop

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
Reply #15 on: January 15, 2022, 11:18:02 AM
We’re disappointed as we were looking forward to the game and wanted the chance to avenge the defeat from earlier in the season. To be fair to Knotts they could have played the Covid card and got the game rearranged but then I suppose if they have got a few RL players it wouldn’t do them any favours to extend the end of this season.

Situations like this are what has changed my mind on the league restructuring to 12 teams. I was always against it but looking at availabilities now versus before Covid it’s just not comparable and not sustainable. For example we’ve gone from having 25 players in our 2nd team every week to struggling to put out a 2’s side. We’ve probably had as many new players join as we have lost but it’s noticeable that the ones we’ve lost tended to be more available than the ones we’ve gained.

I think the way forwards is to have one free weekend per month. There’s always going to be unavoidable commitments but if you could say to people at the start of the season ‘you have the last Saturday of every month free, plan all your lancashire for those weekends’ I think it would make a big difference. Those with a ‘Saturday is for rugby’ mentality appear to be a dying breed, we need to make sure the amateur game doesn’t die off at the same time.

Pomfresian

• Legend
  • duplex crucis
Reply #16 on: January 16, 2022, 09:51:47 AM
And its not only in rugby league strong areas its struggling Gate, as you have confirmed. Most RL clubs near to us are all saying the same things we are. Having a full contingency of age groups at junior level is a rarity in both codes as most just have better things to do; or at least the parents do.

A lot of unrest at Castleford over recent years with the old brigade of committee members bemoaning the diversity of the club. Had we have stuck to that mentality I am pretty sure we would have gone by now. We would have been a venue for three boot sales a year and nothing more.
 "its a rugby union club, nowt else" that's fine when you have three senior sides out and opposition to play....but we haven't

We have Masters rugby league, three junior rugby league teams and a senior football team running from the club now. Ten years ago this certainly wouldn't have been considered but without them the club would pretty much be mothballed and no revenue streams at all.

Beachy

• Forum old hand
Reply #17 on: January 17, 2022, 03:29:25 PM
I agree with you on that Gateprop, hopefully with the league restructuring and going down to 12 teams those extra free weekends can provide enough time for players to do what they want away from rugby and allow us to have more numbers available for the weekends with games. It seems the majority of clubs are struggling for one reason or another this season, not exactly comforting but doesn't make you feel as bad to know it's not just us.

We've had to do the same as well Pommie in regards to bringing other things in to the club to keep it ticking over with an American Football team playing out of the club along with Mr G starting up a rugby league juniors section which now has 3 teams which is great to see. Suppose times are changing and we have to change with them to keep things going.

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #18 on: January 17, 2022, 06:32:45 PM
I have a sneaky little admiration for knotla.... And I have to say some very honest posts on this thread.

It's in all of our interests that clubs/teams survive.
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

BEZ

• Forum old hand
Reply #19 on: January 17, 2022, 08:26:57 PM
I have a sneaky little admiration for knotla.... And I have to say some very honest posts on this thread.

It's in all of our interests that clubs/teams survive.

BRB. Now that’s a blast from the past. Aren’t we honoured to be graced with your great presence, in the  Y3 forum. Do miss our light and friendly exchanges

Hope you’re well and Scarborough are keeping you entertained on a weekend
When you venture out of your castle in your chauffeur driven rolls Royce on a Saturday afternoon.

Much love
Peasant

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #20 on: January 17, 2022, 10:34:48 PM
All good Lords pop down to the cottages now and again to chat to the common folk..

I miss standing near those lovely ladies with the agricultural language on your sidelines 😏😏
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Pomfresian

• Legend
  • duplex crucis
Reply #21 on: January 18, 2022, 07:13:03 AM
I concur with Bez

Are we really worthy BB of your gracious presence this far down the leagues!

Regrettably on such a sad topic of where the game is. The RFU have got a lot of things right over the years but alas with this situation even their Churchillian view of throwing money at it wont resolve the situation here or elsewhere for that matter. Work commitments will have a massive impact in making ends meet for players, volunteers & coaches alike the way the present economics are and are intending to be. I can only speak from a Castleford prospective with this but we have certainly got players that cannot commit to playing every week because economic demands dictate otherwise. Added to that the risk of injury and subsequently not being able to work.

Some tough times ahead for the game and the RFU needs to come out of their comfort zone and realise that people do have better things to do either by choice of necessity. The covid card has certainly been used in this league for lack of able players not through lack of numbers in some cases but the fact remains `lack of players` when and if we get the transparency on leagues next season, titles could be won and lost on HWO`s. We are where we are but there needs to be a radical approach and an incentive to give up Saturdays and twice weekly training for the love of the game.