$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; 5th February predictions

5th February predictions

This is a discussion for the topic 5th February predictions on the board Regional Two (North & North East).

Author Topic: 5th February predictions  (Read 8855 times)

MyPennysWorth

• Finding my feet
Reply #60 on: February 06, 2022, 06:26:26 PM
Thank you BRB. Clearly a very good club ethos!

carlthewlisjohns

• One of the boys
  • Rugby is always the winner
Reply #61 on: February 06, 2022, 06:27:14 PM
Good game yesterday at Morley with two sides of contrasting styles. Town with a "Bielsa Ball" approach and Morley with a traditional pick and go game which made sense in the conditions. I think on a dry track we would have scored a few more but it wasn't, it's February and Morley probably played the pitch better than we did. I thought the referee was top class and was very consistent at the breakdown. We've all been there when something goes wrong with lights, showers or power so I wouldn't be too hard on their facilities. Looking forward to Brods next week, always a tough place to go.

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #62 on: February 06, 2022, 07:10:27 PM
I'm not kicking Morley when they are down (ok maybe a little bit) but I watched some of the match yesterday with a friend of mine who played for Morley for a couple of seasons
. We both agreed that sadly they are stuck in a yesteryear in the fact they haven't found a way to create a club which is fit for 2022. Their facilities are falling down and don't seem to be able to plot a route through to sustainability. The fact that the Yorkshire RFU meet there doesn't make it anything other than a semi derelict ground.

With imagination and planning Morley could become one of the leading clubs in Yorkshire but it will take £1m - £2m and 5 years+ but they could do it.
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Wakefield4

• Finding my feet
Reply #63 on: February 06, 2022, 07:39:29 PM
Morley have 4 senior teams and v strong mini and juniors.  Rejected the choice to join up with the clubs that merged with leeds. Very popular club locally in the town and put on some good events. I would imagine they would have to consider greatly spending 1-2 million to get you where? Same league as the ever under achieving Scarborough and where does the money come from? Scabs and west park leeds, the two biggest under achieving clubs in yorkshire.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #64 on: February 06, 2022, 07:48:56 PM
You miss my point.... Morley are geography placed to be Yorkshires senior club. Or to fight it out to be so.

Imho if the ground isn't invested in Morley will disappear.

And to call Scarborough under achieving is to completely misunderstanding achievement.

P.s. great that you have 4 senior sides, that is a genuine achievement and something you should be proud of in these times.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #65 on: February 06, 2022, 07:53:28 PM
As for where the money comes...the fact you have to ask rather demonstrates the problem. Leeds as a city is awash with cash, with millionaires and billionaires dotted around.. As one of the nation's financial centres there is no shortage of corporate cash floating about. Many of these people will willingly invest in facilities but not payroll. 

Pristine Shorts

Reply #66 on: February 06, 2022, 08:41:24 PM
Couldn’t agree more, BRB. The potential is there, but some major clubhouse/stand/changing facilities wouldn’t go amiss.

Woody

• One of the boys
Reply #67 on: February 07, 2022, 01:29:18 PM
Made the trip to watch Scarborough vs Ilkley on Saturday. Scarborough forwards dominated and Ilkley backs were contained by some heroic defence from Scarborough. Ilkley looked tired and fed up after half time, it is a long season and we all know playing Scarborough at their own patch requires a lot of passion and energy. Ilkley unfortunately lacked both. However when Ilkley did get their chances they executed well, unfortunately missed their conversions due to a terrible wind. The Scarborough 10 clearly understands the ways of the wind, slotting all his kicks. A few regular faces missing from the Ilkley side, is this due to injures? Work? Stags?

Pristine Shorts

Reply #68 on: February 07, 2022, 02:38:09 PM
Made the trip to watch Scarborough vs Ilkley on Saturday. Scarborough forwards dominated and Ilkley backs were contained by some heroic defence from Scarborough. Ilkley looked tired and fed up after half time, it is a long season and we all know playing Scarborough at their own patch requires a lot of passion and energy. Ilkley unfortunately lacked both. However when Ilkley did get their chances they executed well, unfortunately missed their conversions due to a terrible wind. The Scarborough 10 clearly understands the ways of the wind, slotting all his kicks. A few regular faces missing from the Ilkley side, is this due to injures? Work? Stags?

Hi, Woody. If you would like to see an interpretation of how things went on Saturday, my report is one the IRFC FB page and website. I thought the quality of rugby was pretty good in those conditions.

Blimey

• Finding my feet
Reply #69 on: February 07, 2022, 03:32:13 PM
A very good win for Scarborough who seem to be having a superb second half of the season rally!

BRB - it would be nice to hear as to what has changed the fortunes at Silver Royd…. Player recruitment? Availability? Change of infrastructure?

This result no doubt poses a huge question - can Scarborough get themselves back in the hunt for the top 4? Aware they do have to travel to Ilkley and Heath, alongside fixtures against Cleckheaton and Driffield, however some more good results with games in hand may push them closer!

As for the other results, a good win for Morpeth on the road and a big win for Driffield. Great to hear the lads who came in for Driffield from the second team contributed to a successful day for the club. Have to say Driffield appear to be a club who seem to be getting things right!

The next few weeks no doubt appear to be heating up down the home stretch towards the end of the season!

First post for ages for me. It seems as soon as a contributors team are beaten we get all the injury/player availability excuses - done it myself.
Scarborough have had a few weeks with a settled side and most available and look really confident and comfortable with the game they are playing. Quietly confident this improvement will continue - if they stay fit!!

MyPennysWorth

• Finding my feet
Reply #70 on: February 07, 2022, 09:04:45 PM
Is this suggesting I myself are from Ilkley blimey? If so you couldn’t be more wrong…. Way too far adrift from my local area!

As for Scarborough, it’s fantastic to see them doing so well. Clearly led by their tallysman at 10 as described by Woody, I was personally very impressed with him earlier in the season on viewing!

Blimey

• Finding my feet
Reply #71 on: February 07, 2022, 10:37:38 PM
Is this suggesting I myself are from Ilkley blimey? If so you couldn’t be more wrong…. Way too far adrift from my local area!

As for Scarborough, it’s fantastic to see them doing so well. Clearly led by their tallysman at 10 as described by Woody, I was personally very impressed with him earlier in the season on viewing!

Apologies no I wasn’t implying that at all just making the point Scabs have had the benefit of most available since the NY  contributing to their form.

Whilst we are on though - their supporters were quick to tell us about a stag weekend on Saturday and losing 4 players but failed to mention the 2 ‘loanees’ from high flying Esher!
Not mentioned in the Ilkley website report either, just the disruption to the team.

You’d think 2 debutants for the club would get a mention?

MyPennysWorth

• Finding my feet
Reply #72 on: February 07, 2022, 11:05:00 PM
Ah no issues at all…. I was going to say my point wasn’t a slur at Scarborough, it was more an interest in the change in fortunes!

As for Ilkley, who knows what their next move may be. It will be very interesting to see what team they field this week given last weeks loanee’s in place. Will they go back to the corner stone of their team suggested to of gone on the stag weekend…. Or will the temptation of the loanee’s potentially still being in town mean a ‘normal’ first teamer or two will miss out this week  alongside the second team lads from last weekend who appear not to have been given an opportunity. .

I imagine the tensions behind closed doors could be running extremely high at Stacks Field this week in the lead up to selection night! 

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #73 on: February 08, 2022, 06:05:22 AM

Apologies no I wasn’t implying that at all just making the point Scabs have had the benefit of most available since the NY  contributing to their form.

Whilst we are on though - their supporters were quick to tell us about a stag weekend on Saturday and losing 4 players but failed to mention the 2 ‘loanees’ from high flying Esher!
Not mentioned in the Ilkley website report either, just the disruption to the team.

You’d think 2 debutants for the club would get a mention?

That's a very good point about no mention of two debutants in the match report....and the point of interest that they were players on loan from another club. Maybe PS can shed some light on the reluctance to celebrate new/unknown players?