$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Preview and reaction Sat 12th Feb

Preview and reaction Sat 12th Feb

This is a discussion for the topic Preview and reaction Sat 12th Feb on the board Regional Two (North & North East).

Author Topic: Preview and reaction Sat 12th Feb  (Read 8648 times)

carlthewlisjohns

• One of the boys
  • Rugby is always the winner
Reply #45 on: February 13, 2022, 11:15:08 AM
Good game yesterday away at Brods, second week in a row the Lads played in awful conditions so the fact both teams tried to play rugby was testimony to the level we are at. Town scored two lovely tries, one from their own half with some nice interplay and one from a lineout, quick ball and powerful running. Brods had some big lads who kept it nice and simple and at one point Town defended 23 phases of play to keep them out. Set piece about even but Town were denied a losing bonus point with the final kick of the game. I might start offering out the Town groundsman for free next season in January and February 🙊.

Woody

• One of the boys
Reply #46 on: February 13, 2022, 05:09:53 PM
Heath made the short journey to Ilkley yesterday with a coach full of supporters. With two late unavailabilities alongside other recent injuries it was a great to give other players a chance to impress and have a run out for the first team. The game started at break neck speed, Ilkley putting a lot of pressure on the heath defence and heath giving away multiple penalties attempting to keep up with Ilkley athletes. The bread and dripping shared on the bus still fresh in their belly. But they weathered the storm and pushed their way down to the Ilkley try line and secured a try from the base of a powerful scrum. Followed up by a fantastic kick from the 10. Heath conceded another penalty soon after resulting in 3 points for the home side. The two sides were ferocious in defence throughout the game, small breaks soon shut down and big hits preventing any momentum for both sides. Following an overthrow from a heath lineout Ilkley made a lot of ground and eventually scored in the corner. Heath had a penalty in front of the posts just before half-time. This was executed well by the heath 10. Score 8-10 at halftime. Ilkley went inside for their usual 10 minutes of rest. Heath opted to remain in the nice cold air allowing their large frames time to cool off. The second half was littered with missed opportunities for both sides and a yellow card for heath. Heath did well to keep Ilkley away from their try line during this period, the Ilkley players became extremely distressed as the full time whistle approached. With the last play of the game heath gave away a penalty when in possession, allowing Ilkley one last chance to score. They worked their way to the heath try line with a combination of flash back moves and forward carries. However when the Ilkley 6 took on a couple of the heath props they decided it was time to get showered and have a couple of pints. The ball was torn from the his hands and casually kicked into touch. Great game of rugby played on a superb pitch. Best of luck for the remainder of the season Ilkley. It’s been a pleasure

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #47 on: February 13, 2022, 05:18:57 PM
Good write up, excellent summary of the match. It's such a shame you felt the need to mention missing players. Every club has to content with this each week.

I congratulated Malton for their deserved win, end of. It would have been disingenuous to mention the multiple Saturday morning dropouts we suffered and changes including a forward in the backs and a coach on the bench. What's the point? We have benefited from other clubs being in the same position at other times.

Every club puts out the best side they have available on the day.

(Unless of course that was a match report which should rightly report the facts).

The main point is...it was a super win for Heath.

Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Woody

• One of the boys
Reply #48 on: February 13, 2022, 05:28:08 PM
I see the opportunity for new and upcoming players to play for the first team as a good thing. Do you not? Perhaps if Heath had lost the game it could be viewed as an excuse, like it would have been if you had mentioned this following Scarboroughs loss, but you have not (kind of). But Heath won and won and they thoroughly enjoyed the energy these players brought to the occasion.

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #49 on: February 13, 2022, 05:51:51 PM
Yes I agree about an opportunity for more players to experience 1st XV rugby. It always surprises me how some players can raise their game to the higher standard. In some cases players that it seemed unlikely they would be able to.

Sport is full of twists and turns...
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Woody

• One of the boys
Reply #50 on: February 13, 2022, 05:58:54 PM
All heath are missing now is oranges at half time, so refreshing.

Shed

• Forum old hand
Reply #51 on: February 14, 2022, 10:27:46 PM
Good game yesterday away at Brods, second week in a row the Lads played in awful conditions so the fact both teams tried to play rugby was testimony to the level we are at. Town scored two lovely tries, one from their own half with some nice interplay and one from a lineout, quick ball and powerful running. Brods had some big lads who kept it nice and simple and at one point Town defended 23 phases of play to keep them out. Set piece about even but Town were denied a losing bonus point with the final kick of the game. I might start offering out the Town groundsman for free next season in January and February 🙊.

Fair assessment Carl, ironic comment about your groundsman considering what’s happening this weekend haha!

Alf Hart

• Legend
Reply #52 on: February 15, 2022, 07:00:21 AM
In response to Curry 31 … and greetings dear boy .. if having played at a higher level means a persons views have more credibility and are entertsining … jonny Wilkinson is the best pundit on TV …  I’ll park that for now .

As for CTL …Brods don’t have a groundsnan .. they have a piste basher … that’s not a rugby pitch ! 

carlthewlisjohns

• One of the boys
  • Rugby is always the winner
Reply #53 on: February 15, 2022, 09:33:17 PM

Fair assessment Carl, ironic comment about your groundsman considering what’s happening this weekend haha!

An over exuberant Colts Coach brought the wrong spectacles Sunday morning when he advised us the pitch was "fine" to play on.....😨! It did some real damage so I took affirmative action and booked you guys a super surface while we repair it this week. The funny thing is it looks fine this morning, it's like Lazarus! But we are also upgrading lights on the far side so couldn't have guaranteed the machines were going to be out of the way. My team will have international cuisine ready back at Far Moss if you Lads are happy to come back ??

Shed

• Forum old hand
Reply #54 on: February 16, 2022, 09:51:15 AM

An over exuberant Colts Coach brought the wrong spectacles Sunday morning when he advised us the pitch was "fine" to play on.....😨! It did some real damage so I took affirmative action and booked you guys a super surface while we repair it this week. The funny thing is it looks fine this morning, it's like Lazarus! But we are also upgrading lights on the far side so couldn't have guaranteed the machines were going to be out of the way. My team will have international cuisine ready back at Far Moss if you Lads are happy to come back ??

haha we have all been there. I got a fair bit of blame for getting our game on against Cleck on Boxing Day! Boys will be back for food I think.

In all seriousness we have spent a lot of money on the pitch in recent years and its had two, sometimes three games a weekend this winter and is holding up well. Would be nice for a game to be played without the rain mind.