$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Yorkshire meeting

Yorkshire meeting

This is a discussion for the topic Yorkshire meeting on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: Yorkshire meeting  (Read 5744 times)

Caravanboys

• One of the boys
on: February 11, 2022, 08:12:11 AM
Well what’s everyone’s thoughts on last nights meeting.
North Rib your excused I know what you think 🤔
It looks like the premier sides 2nds are going to enter various divisions pending a vote !

Next season so don’t know what’s going to happen with promotion/relegation to keep the divisions at 12 as the RFU want.

Also don’t what’s going to happen say in 5 years time when all the 2nds teams from higher clubs are all in Yorkshire 1 and carnt get promoted.

And the last thing is Yorkshire have 97 clubs (not teams) what’s the chances of that becoming 60 or less. ?

Ribbflagman

• A little respect please...
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 09:14:28 AM
Well put. I cannot believe that there has not been one response from any club on 4 boards I posted on last night. Yorkshire 1 will become the equivalent of the premiership merit table in say 10 years that all the clubs higher up the league say isn't working at the moment.
This vote is a chance to galvanise the majority of grass roots clubs and maintain a status quo at least in Yorkshire.
PLEASE VOTE.

avinastella

Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 09:51:56 AM
Well put. I cannot believe that there has not been one response from any club on 4 boards I posted on last night. Yorkshire 1 will become the equivalent of the premiership merit table in say 10 years that all the clubs higher up the league say isn't working at the moment.
This vote is a chance to galvanise the majority of grass roots clubs and maintain a status quo at least in Yorkshire.
PLEASE VOTE.
We had already made our views known from an earlier communication.
Speaking to Barry on the subject a couple of weeks ago I think he said only 15 teams had responded.
He seemed concerned that many clubs weren’t giving this issue the attention it deserved, and rightly so.
For the avoidance of doubt, we are firmly against the idea. If this goes ahead we may as well all pack up and go home.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Pristine Shorts

Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 10:01:07 AM
Tomorrow, I’ll make sure the relevant people at IRFC are aware.

avinastella

Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 11:43:44 AM
Flaggy,
In case you missed it, there is this thread on the subject from last year.
http://yorkshirerugby.net/index.php?topic=11365.0
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

schming

• One of the boys
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 08:15:21 AM
Aireborough have voted No.

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 08:31:55 PM
Scarborough are voting no.

Whilst we can sympathise with some clubs who are struggling to get competitive 2nd team matches, putting smaller clubs at risk cannot be the answer. A club missing a few 2nd team fixtures is a price worth paying to save long established clubs.. Do we keep squeezing until there are only 10 teams left in Yorkshire?

We are one sport and we must stand together to protect all clubs at all levels. Our strength is our unity and rugby values should be cherished.

(My comments should be considered in the context of my club being able to, within reason, play at any level we want if a different strategy is followed. However we resolutely will always promote the importance of community grassroots sports ahead of the short term rush of a single team getting promoted. I urge all clubs to vote no)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 08:46:25 PM by backrowbandit »
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Ribbflagman

Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 10:22:09 PM
BRB
     On behalf of us at North Ribb  and all other clubs like us. We appreciate your support. If a go ahead club like Scarborough think it's a bad idea god only knows why anyone below your level would not vote against it.
To all you clubs not voicing your opinionew.
PLEASE VOTE AGAINST THIS.

BenFairclough

Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 10:14:40 AM
Would it not make more sense that second teams play the same side the first team is playing, in X league and above, to get more competitive matches and play different opposition.

I can only speak on behalf of Moortown, but our seconds started in the 'premier league' playing 7 matches, of which 5 of them were away, as the bigger clubs wouldn't travel. We then asked to move to the league below and played 8 games of which 3 have been against Keighley and we are playing Old Brods again this Saturday which will be the 3rd time of playing them in the 9 games.

If Moortown 1st team are playing Scarbrough away then take both 1st and 2nds up to play and make a day out of it, then vica vera on the return fixture, this giving more varied games for the 2nd teams but then also wouldn't effect the leagues below by entering second teams into Yorkshire 3/4 etc.

gateprop

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 10:22:22 AM
If there are so many 2nd teams desperate for regular competitive rugby why can’t we just stick them all in a league together rather than putting them in the league system?

BenFairclough

Reply #10 on: February 14, 2022, 11:09:15 AM
Teams bail too much unfortunately, our 2nds had Harrogate first game of the season and only brought 15 players with no front row, then had free weekends as Otley and Bradford both couldn't raise a side and this was in September.

Pristine Shorts

Reply #11 on: February 14, 2022, 01:31:48 PM
Moortown firsts and seconds came to Ilkley and it was a great day. I agree that it would probably help clubs if the forests and seconds always travelled together OR if the firsts are at home, the seconds go away to the same club - this might give more balanced bar-revenues.

gateprop

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
Reply #12 on: February 14, 2022, 01:37:37 PM
Teams bail too much unfortunately, our 2nds had Harrogate first game of the season and only brought 15 players with no front row, then had free weekends as Otley and Bradford both couldn't raise a side and this was in September.

I understand there are teams bailing out in the current system. My point is that surely the teams who want to join the leagues aren’t going to be bailing out of fixtures so why can’t they all play against each other?

NeilL

• Finding my feet
Reply #13 on: February 14, 2022, 03:14:15 PM
Cricket has operated this system for years. My clubs 3rd team play in a division with a mixture of 1st 2nd and 3rd teams. The important thing is that they get lots of competitive games. Our 1st team play in the championship (the second tier) there are 2 club 2nd XI's in that division. The rules don't allow them to get promoted, unless their 1st get relegated. The reality is, I can't remember that situation ever arising.
I think there's a lot of harking back to the good old days. I remember when clubs ran 4 teams and we all played the same team on the same day, 1sts and 3rds at one club, 2nds and 4ths at the other. But those are are long gone.
Can't remember the last time we actually played one of the sides from Yorks 3 or 4 (north or south) I'm sure our seconds and 3rds would really gain from playing fixtures against them. And some of those lads who aren't quite enough in number to make up a 4th teams might get to see some of those clubs because there's a better chance of getting a game if they move clubs.

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #14 on: February 14, 2022, 03:32:46 PM
Fair points however the cricket analogy doesn't hold up to scrutiny when the differences between the two sports are factored in.

Not sure there is any solution to this problem...we need to find the least bad.
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.