$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Yorkshire meeting

Yorkshire meeting

This is a discussion for the topic Yorkshire meeting on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: Yorkshire meeting  (Read 5807 times)

gateprop

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
Reply #15 on: February 21, 2022, 11:21:56 AM
Clubs have voted against 2nd XV’s joining the league structure. Needed a 2/3rds majority against and it was just over. 19 for, 43 against so they won’t be joining the leagues, yet, Just one or two clubs could have made the difference either way so let’s make sure we don’t ignore important issues like this going forwards, your vote really does matter!

Russell Crow

• Finding my feet
Reply #16 on: February 21, 2022, 12:24:10 PM
Is there a visual on which club voted which way GateProp?
Ní dhéanfadh an soal capall rasa d’asal

gateprop

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
Reply #17 on: February 21, 2022, 02:37:25 PM
Is there a visual on which club voted which way GateProp?

No. Just going off the email from Barry Breakwell sent out to clubs today.

Needed to be 2/3rds against to prevent:
19 in favour (30.65%)
43 against (69.35%)
62 votes total so a lot of clubs didn’t bother. Would’ve only taken 3 more votes in favour to pass it through.

Hopefully now that is sorted they can get on with sorting out the league structure for next year and let teams know how many are going up and down from each league.

davie

• One of the boys
Reply #18 on: February 21, 2022, 04:02:25 PM
Isn’t this all dependent on how other constituent bodies vote? If the rest of the country voted for second teams being allowed into the league structure Yorkshire can’t go it alone. (Not that I want that to happen).

avinastella

• A little respect please...
Reply #19 on: February 21, 2022, 04:58:43 PM
Isn’t this all dependent on how other constituent bodies vote? If the rest of the country voted for second teams being allowed into the league structure Yorkshire can’t go it alone. (Not that I want that to happen).
Barry indicated in a chat the othe week that it was upto each CB and the relevant outcome of the votes stand.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Ribbflagman

Reply #20 on: February 22, 2022, 12:17:23 AM
Well said BRB.

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #21 on: February 22, 2022, 07:13:58 AM
I see that the premiership is looking to drop their 2nd teams into the championship. As you can imagine the championship is not happy.

It's very clear senior men's rugby is in a state of distress and something needs to be done. The RFU are right to identify the problem - the worry is that they have such a terrible record a implementing the right solutions.

The demise of the various cups has actually shown to me that 14 team leagues are absolutely fine (certainly at L6). There are plenty of blank weekends for either rest or replying fixtures.
Clubs also need to accept a new state of mind. We are an amateur sport so if players want to go on holiday or have a break then so be it! Clubs should get out of the mindset of having a best XV and accept that fielding the best available XV is now the only game in town. Covid in some ways has helped with this understanding.

Something Ive been making a case for 10 years now is that the game needs to be de-powered (certainly at community level). Return to a game of skill and evasion.

Not enough adults want to risk their health having someone shoulder charging them in a ruck or any other of the ridiculous practices which have drifted into the game.

We have 10 years to fix the game or it will be damaged beyond community repair.
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Pristine Shorts

Reply #22 on: February 22, 2022, 09:47:00 AM
Very well said. Another thing that should be stopped, or at least changed, is the Garryowen, I’m afraid. It’s so overused now and the potential for serious injury has increased dramatically. Perhaps allow a mark anywhere on the pitch ?

Oldandslow

Reply #23 on: February 22, 2022, 11:44:16 AM
Good post BRB

The one extra point I would add is let local clubs decide on how many teams per league.

This weekend I was away in the south east, had several sherbets with some rugby folks from Surrey. They are concerned that 12 team leagues won’t work for them. Some years ago to try to arrest the games decline they moved to 10 team leagues. That allows them to delay the start of the season to mid September and have a longer break over Christmas. This year for example there last game before Christmas was 11 December and the first game back was 15 January. These changes they believe have stabilised player numbers for them and they will strongly oppose any move to change a structure that works for them.

For Yorkshire I think 14 team leagues and no cup competitions is the answer.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #24 on: February 23, 2022, 07:17:03 AM
Good post BRB

The one extra point I would add is let local clubs decide on how many teams per league.

This weekend I was away in the south east, had several sherbets with some rugby folks from Surrey. They are concerned that 12 team leagues won’t work for them. Some years ago to try to arrest the games decline they moved to 10 team leagues. That allows them to delay the start of the season to mid September and have a longer break over Christmas. This year for example there last game before Christmas was 11 December and the first game back was 15 January. These changes they believe have stabilised player numbers for them and they will strongly oppose any move to change a structure that works for them.

For Yorkshire I think 14 team leagues and no cup competitions is the answer.

That's a very good point about leagues reflecting local needs.

I wonder if the preference for smaller leagues in the south is driving policy for the rest of the country?

I wonder if the whole Northern league structure was proposed to be left untouched whether it would find support?

I recall a few days ago one of the north east club forum members (either Consett or Morpeth), mentioned that the reorganisation worked well for them. Fair enough.  But how does it work for the majority?

Personally I would leave things exactly how they are from North Premier downwards.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #25 on: February 23, 2022, 07:18:42 AM
Very well said. Another thing that should be stopped, or at least changed, is the Garryowen, I’m afraid. It’s so overused now and the potential for serious injury has increased dramatically. Perhaps allow a mark anywhere on the pitch ?
I recognise the dangers but not sure how a high kick can be distinguished from a kick?

avinastella

Reply #26 on: February 23, 2022, 09:10:48 AM

That's a very good point about leagues reflecting local needs.

I wonder if the preference for smaller leagues in the south is driving policy for the rest of the country?

I wonder if the whole Northern league structure was proposed to be left untouched whether it would find support?

I recall a few days ago one of the north east club forum members (either Consett or Morpeth), mentioned that the reorganisation worked well for them. Fair enough.  But how does it work for the majority?

Personally I would leave things exactly how they are from North Premier downwards.
In a word, yes.
At those regional meetings held around 3 years ago, they touched on the issue several times.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Golferkev

• Finding my feet
Reply #27 on: February 23, 2022, 11:49:40 AM
Certain things seemed to have changed significantly since I last played in the late 90’s

The idea of a free weekend and resting would have been laughed at. We wanted to play every weekend without fail from September 1st until end of April. If we didn’t have a league match we would have matches against better clubs second and third teams

We would even arrange matches from the “pool” as late as Friday night to ensure we played. The idea that anyone would want to go on holiday in the rugby season. Well!!!

Rose tinted certainly but that’s what it seemed like

Some things don’t change though.  Stocksbridge had the biggest lads, Medics had the fittest  lads and Knottingley had the rough lads😂😂😂

ponte animal

• One of the boys
Reply #28 on: February 23, 2022, 04:19:03 PM
I bemoan the loss of midweek rugby in the spring.  Happy days playing y cup comps. and social rugby with a couple of pints afterwards.

Golferkev

• Finding my feet
Reply #29 on: February 23, 2022, 09:48:58 PM
I bemoan the loss of midweek rugby in the spring.  Happy days playing y cup comps. and social rugby with a couple of pints afterwards.

Oh god yes.  The Monday night South Yorkshire shield/ trophy?? was looked forward to every year. However it was a prime example of why second xv’s shouldn’t be allowed to join the leagues

One year we reached the semi final after beating the likes of Adwick and Yorkshire Main (long time ago) and came across Sheffield 2nd’s.  Cue a 64-0 drubbing. Afterwards they admitted they had watched us in a previous round and thought we had a strong front row ( bit of chest swelling) so put in their 1st team front row from the previous week along with three others in the backs

To be fair we fought well to keep it to 64 but it’s a sign of what could have happened had the vote gone the other way