$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Saturday 2nd April preview

Saturday 2nd April preview

This is a discussion for the topic Saturday 2nd April preview on the board Regional Two (North & North East).

Author Topic: Saturday 2nd April preview  (Read 8475 times)

Pristine Shorts

• A little respect please...
Reply #30 on: April 03, 2022, 09:21:36 AM
Probs be easier if you two just text each other

Yeah sorry about that!

Some really close games in the league today! Really interested to hear about some of the games! Scarborough looks like a good game on paper, particularly if they got some young lads blooded?

Consett running brods close and M&N coming close to doing Driffield a massive favour!

Ilkley have to be massive favourites to finish as league winners now with remaining fixtures!

An interesting end to the Season approaches, with Driffield, Ilkley, Cleck and Heath all theoretically capable of finishing as Champions.

Driffield (91 points) have Pock at home and Scarbs away, neither of which I’m sure the Driff lads would describe as easy. I think Driff will win both, but not necessarily with maximum points, which would suit…

Ilkley (90 points) have Durham at home, followed by Consett and the Bees away. The three bottom Clubs, eh ? Banana skins lurking in the shadows ? Three 4-point wins would be enough for the Dalesmen, whatever Driff do.

Cleckheaton (85 points) have Malton and Norton home and Durham away. Ilkley have just found that M&N are no pushover, but Cleck have home advantage.

Heath (83 points) have Morley and Scabs at home, then Pock away. The Halifax boys should be well in charge at home, but Pock away won’t be a stroll in the park.

Assuming that the Bees will complete their season without handing out any more walkovers, I’ll stick my neck out and forecast…

Driffield - 10 more points to finish with 101.
Ilkley - 14 more points to finish with 104.
Cleckheaton - 10 more points to finish with 95.
Heath - 14 more points to finish with 97.

Which ( according to the RFU’s ‘plan’ ) would mean that Driffield, Ilkley and Heath would be ‘promoted’ and can look forward to trips to Alnwick and Derby next season. And the rest of NE1 will be in a superb-looking Yorkshire league.

neverplayedstandoff

• Deputy Moderator
Reply #31 on: April 03, 2022, 10:52:13 AM
PS surely you mean regional 2L .
Y1 Pundits league winner 2010/11 seems a long time ago

Pristine Shorts

Reply #32 on: April 03, 2022, 11:00:12 AM
NPSO - Is 2L the ‘superb-looking Yorkshire League’ ? Or the Alnwick to Derby ‘more local fixtures league’ ?

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #33 on: April 03, 2022, 11:49:00 AM
Let’s try this again,

Yesterdays game at Morley was a contest between 2 sides with differing styles, both playing to individual strengths. Morley’s had the size advantage and attacked around the breakdown and through the 10 channel. Driffield tried to stretch the game and move the bigger Morley players around the park. And it worked. They tired and the game opened up.

Morley had to slow the game down at the breakdown, and did so for most of the game. With only 2 penalties against them for not rolling away and non for hands in through the full 80minutes, so they played to the limits afforded to them.

Driffield dominated set piece, and showed great work rate throughout the game. However to many penalties at the breakdown for hands in or not rolling away. (Including a 2 yellow cards, one for each offence)

Pocklington at home next week looks a very interesting contest, recent results for Pock look impressive!

Good report...and readers can read between the lines...
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

neverplayedstandoff

• Deputy Moderator
Reply #34 on: April 03, 2022, 12:03:37 PM
PS I like that title “ the super looking Yorkshire league”
It’s a lot better than regional 2 L.
What do the viewers think? Maybe you could start a poll.
Y1 Pundits league winner 2010/11 seems a long time ago

Jim

• Finding my feet
Reply #35 on: April 04, 2022, 09:10:05 PM
I'm obviously new to the Forum, so apologise if I don't follow the protocols.
Having said that I read with interest the post from Differ Lid and the subsequent musings.

I have due to injury been able to watch Morley over the last two weeks; a fortuitous victory at Moortown and a brave yet doomed display against Driffield.
On each occasion the lasting feeling I have is that the memos sent to both these clubs with regards to the RFU's core values and the seemingly simple expectations with regards to referee abuse seem to lie unopened upon the Secretary's desk.

To be clear Driff were by far the better side and it showed in the last 20 minutes, their defence was better organised and crucially more efficient and their attack managed to punch through the Morley line relatively easily, and even more so as Morley tired.
However let us also be clear they had little more than parity in the line and for a substantial part of the game were going backwards in the scrum and must have been very relieved to go unpenalised for the large part.

Having taken time to speak to several Driff players after the game, who by the way spoke in positive terms about the referees performance (who I also spoke to), they are clear where they need to improve and where they need to recruit.

'The views are my own as a spectator from the touchline and I am not speaking for Driffield Rugby':
- Thankfully, however the behaviour of some of the Driff coaching staff would seem to indicate that it was club wide view. I thought one or two of them were fortunate not to be asked to leave the pitchside.

'It appeared that each team had a different level of tolerance for offence':
If it looks, acts and barks like a dog it's a dog!
The view that the referee could not keep up with play is a spurious cover for the misguided believe that the referee had a poor game, he didn't. The penalty count was a reasonably accurate guide to the discipline levels within each team as 'backrowbandit' suggested Morley frustrated Driffield for a large part of the game and it showed. However '... they played to the limits afforded to them' again, another 'dig'. These limits are called Laws.

I think Driff have the talent, the coaching and the game plan to compete next year, however they need to have a little more 'Old Man' about them.
Both Yellow Cards were clear and obvious, indeed the second one could easily have been red.

It's a horrible phrase to use that Driff were 'dragged down to Morley's level', I would rather say that they failed to adapt to Morley's game plan, but whichever phrase you use that was the story of the day and if Driff want to take the step up to the next level they will need to learn to adapt more quickly.

With regards to referees and their age. I've seen plenty of referees some good some not so good, it is rarely their age which decides the bracket in which they are put, more a genuine feel for the game. Experience or indeed age doesn't always provide this 'feel' however for the most part it helps.

If we keep on with this kind of Pythonesque criticism, 'Nudge, nudge, wink wink... say no more' we undermine the very game we say we love. 'No referee no game' is not a slogan, hopefully it's a warning let us hope that it is not a prognostication!

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #36 on: April 05, 2022, 06:39:05 AM
Great post Jim and welcome to the forum.

The people I know at Drif are good people who respect the core values of the game and all that good about it.

I'm sure they have realised that their club is attracting some negative vibes due to the attitude of some of their coaches and will be addressing it. They are far from a "problem" club...what they do right outweighs what they do wrong by 100 to 1. However referees need to be respected and protected full stop.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 08:33:14 AM by backrowbandit »

Differ Lid

• Forum old hand
Reply #37 on: April 05, 2022, 10:11:48 AM
Great post Jim enjoyed it and great example of what this forum is about. People being able to give an open opinion of events and how they feel things went on the day.

On reflection I was probably too hasty to post on Saturday following the game, and should of handle it a little more delicately, particularly given the extent of my opinions. However, my opinions are out now, and I am happy to take the backlash from the forum for speaking out of turn about a match official.
What I do have is the benefit of review, so not only can I give my personal opinions from the day as you have, but also statements based on review.

With regards to my statement of a dominant set piece the game had 19 scrums (11 for Morley, 8 for Driffield) Driffield won 2 scrums against the head, and Morley moving back behind the mark on 14 of the 19 scrums. One on the 80th minute which collapsed and resulted in a free kick against Driffield, and 4 scrums which Morley moved forward whilst Driffield was down to 7 forwards. At Lineout time Driffield won 2 of Morley’s lineouts with Morley not able to compete against Driffield taking none of Driffield’s or even disrupting, Morley had 2 questionable not straight decisions whilst Driffield had 1 (all of which in my opinion are perfectly acceptable throws down the middle, but it’s the referee’s opinion which matters)

I have the same information for penalty counts but don’t think I need to continue with that on the forum, as it was clearly too high by Driffield and only 3 Penalties against Morley in the 80 minutes clearly showed the exceptional standards Morley operate in the area – Eddie Jones would be incredibly happy with those numbers.

“If it looks, acts and barks like a dog it's a dog!” – I like this saying, Driffield No.8 penalised for calling an offside, and a quiet word with one of the Driffield coaching staff in the second half for being overly vocal on the touchline, both of which the referee handled brilliantly as not acceptable behaviour and showed zero tolerance in the area against Driffield during the game. Morley also challenged decision throughout the game, with one example of your very experience fly half aggressively challenging a try scored as he felt it was held up with not even a word about his conduct, zero penalties in this area for Morley, as it should be.

“It's a horrible phrase to use that Driff were 'dragged down to Morley's level', I would rather say that they failed to adapt to Morley's game plan” – Just tried to find when I made this statement, an unable to do so? Morley played some good rugby, and certainly league position does not reflect the quality of the Morley side, I did say they slowed the game down at the breakdown, which was clearly the game plan you speak of, executed well. However, they couldn’t sustain it for 80minutes, and believe if they had the score line would have been much tighter.

Also never mentioned the referees age, Saturday’s official is clearly highly experienced with a low tolerance for ill-discipline which is exactly how it should be, and Driffield had been slow to react to how they were being officiated. Learning opportunity for the Driffield players and coaching staff I believe.
I do agree appealing from the touchline can be an issue, but certainly not a problem club on this matter. However, this does not excuse this on the occasions it does happen and believe this is something that is easily addressed and corrected.

**I would also like to note the quality of the 3 young Morley players – Fullback, wing and flanker (believe 2 of which have only a couple of senior games between them) exceptional talents and show a bright future for the Maroons if this is the quality of player being produced **

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #38 on: April 05, 2022, 10:43:52 AM
Been a while since I contributed, but looks like it might be time to revive an old offer.

Available is a 30/40 minute seminar outlining the psychology of how to engage positively with match officials.

Compiled with the help of yorkshire rugby.net and rugby refs.com members, and based on the psychological principles of hostage negotiation, it is delivered by one of the UK's leading experts in that field.

It includes verbal and non verbal techniques, as well as an understanding of how players and spectators behave in the modern world - referred to by psychologists as 'Generation Me' - and gives an explanation of the utter short and long term folly of abusing match officials.

Target audience is club coaches and captains, but would also be beneficial to players and spectators in general.

Particularly useful as an inter or pre season event, now is the time to plan! The only costs involved would be mileage from Whitby. If you would like it delivered at your club, message me separately.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

avinastella

Reply #39 on: April 05, 2022, 10:50:59 AM
Been a while since I contributed, but looks like it might be time to revive an old offer.

Available is a 30/40 minute seminar outlining the psychology of how to engage positively with match officials.

Compiled with the help of yorkshire rugby.net and rugby refs.com members, and based on the psychological principles of hostage negotiation, it is delivered by one of the UK's leading experts in that field.

It includes verbal and non verbal techniques, as well as an understanding of how players and spectators behave in the modern world - referred to by psychologists as 'Generation Me' - and gives an explanation of the utter short and long term folly of abusing match officials.

Target audience is club coaches and captains, but would also be beneficial to players and spectators in general.

Particularly useful as an inter or pre season event, now is the time to plan! The only costs involved would be mileage from Whitby. If you would like it delivered at your club, message me separately.
I was just thinking it was time you made an appearance.
At our club we can 100% vouch for your presentation. Assuming people take the info on board it makes a massive difference to a teams performance/behaviour on the pitch.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #40 on: April 05, 2022, 11:38:03 AM
Kind words good Sir. Hope all is well with you and yours.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Kellythorpe

• One of the boys
Reply #41 on: April 05, 2022, 12:10:40 PM
As an ex player, YRS referee, administrator and assessor, I agree with most that has been said.
Players, coaches, spectators and referees certainly witness errors on rugby law enforcement. I was certainly responsible for some!
However, as differ lid says, coaches get very wound up in a game and do cross the line.
Certainly most refs are pretty thick skinned and ignore same, but that still doesn't make it acceptable.
The fact that Driffield give so many penalties away not only on Saturday but on other occasions, leads one to believe there is work to be done in the breakdown situation. All the referees cannot be wrong!
However it is not all room and gloom at Driffield. 4 senior teams took the field on Sat, 3rd beating Pock 2nds and 4ths beating Brid 2nds with hopefully play off places available. On Sunday a mini festival took place for hundreds of kids and in the afternoon the Ladies team secured a bonus point win in the league over Carlisle Cougers to ensure promotion for the second year running. Great weekend!

avinastella

Reply #42 on: April 05, 2022, 02:32:55 PM
Kind words good Sir. Hope all is well with you and yours.
Yes, all good this end. Not the best of seasons but the many youngsters stood up to the plate and should be better for it.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #43 on: April 05, 2022, 06:48:00 PM
As an ex player, YRS referee, administrator and assessor, I agree with most that has been said.
Players, coaches, spectators and referees certainly witness errors on rugby law enforcement. I was certainly responsible for some!
However, as differ lid says, coaches get very wound up in a game and do cross the line.
Certainly most refs are pretty thick skinned and ignore same, but that still doesn't make it acceptable.
The fact that Driffield give so many penalties away not only on Saturday but on other occasions, leads one to believe there is work to be done in the breakdown situation. All the referees cannot be wrong!
However it is not all room and gloom at Driffield. 4 senior teams took the field on Sat, 3rd beating Pock 2nds and 4ths beating Brid 2nds with hopefully play off places available. On Sunday a mini festival took place for hundreds of kids and in the afternoon the Ladies team secured a bonus point win in the league over Carlisle Cougers to ensure promotion for the second year running. Great weekend!

I don't think anyone has suggested its doom and gloom at Driffield....are from it, an excellent club. However you have some respect issues to deal with within your senior and junior coaching ranks.

Kellythorpe

• One of the boys
Reply #44 on: April 05, 2022, 07:20:07 PM
If that is so, you had better let me know what they are.