$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Next Season

Next Season

This is a discussion for the topic Next Season on the board Yorkshire 1.

Author Topic: Next Season  (Read 3973 times)

howzat

• One of the boys
on: April 12, 2022, 03:29:24 PM
Understand the season is not yet finished but it seems all the confirmed and potential promotion spots have been confirmed. Therefore we have a clearer view of what Yorkshire One will look like this year (if Selby do indeed secure promotion):

West Leeds
Goole
Dinnington
Old Rishworthians
Beverley
Roundhegians
Leodiensian
Salem
YMCA

Keighley
Wetherby
Hullensians

Think Goole will be serious contenders next year if their post Christmas form is anything to go by. Would be really interesting if anyone who has watched any of the Y2 teams thinks they will fare in Yorkshire One next year.

I also think Salem and YMCA will bounce back with some decent summer recruitment now that relegation returns.

Any other (very) earlier thoughts on the runners and riders for next year?

yorkshirewarrior

• Finding my feet
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 03:39:05 PM
I've Managed to see all 3 promotion sides play from Y2, but haven't seen any Y1 games so difficult to compare. Having said that Wetherby have a very big pack, I cant see many teams bullying them in the forwards, they also have some quick backs. Keighley and Hullensians I would say are quite the opposite great backs but maybe slightly light weight in the forwards.

Difficult to call, summer recruitment may see new players join with the prospect of Y1 rugby.

I'd be surprised to see any of the 3 newly promoted teams come straight back down.

Locked Out

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
  • Life is serious enough...
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 07:39:56 PM
I'd agree with YW as Keef and Hull have previous in Y1 and know the drill, so will seamlessly slip back in. Having watched Wetherby closely since they came up from Y3, they have the commitment and playing strength to do well without having to look outside of the club for succession planning. A good set up and wish them well in Y1. Nothing personal, but be good to see Roundhegians and Leos back in Y2, or whatever it gets called - saves a bundle on travel! 

Stevo

• One of the boys
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 10:10:29 PM
Roundhegians and Leos will be in Yorkshire 1 next season, there is no relegation as far as I'm aware

Locked Out

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
  • Life is serious enough...
Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 10:11:57 PM
Doh, keep forgetting!

ponte animal

• One of the boys
Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 10:59:42 PM
I would expect better from Beverley next season. Rish and Hegians might have a second season syndrome which often happens. Keighley and Hullensians know what to expect and should be ok on the back of playing winning rugby this year. Wetherby an interesting one, seems like a progressive club to me (from my armchair), so could go well, espicially if the have a big pack (did Ponte no harm this season). I expect Salem to improve their squad but not sure about YM, seemed like a strange carry on with the new ownership etc. Get the all weather sorted, look after the pitch more and a bit of investment, could soon turn round though. Apart from that I expect an ageing/experienced West Leeds squad to do well along with Dinnington and Goole, if they can build on the second half of this term. Don't think anyone will run away with it at this stage. Happy Easter one and all.

old style prop

• A little respect please...
  • anyone seen me tabs.
Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 11:06:47 PM
Fingers crossed the above is confirmed. It will be great to see Wetherby have their first ever season in Y1. Having been at the club for just over 25 years now, and having gone through the pain of traveling away with 12 men in Y5 to the giddy heights of Y1 it will make the last quarter of a century very worthwhile form the rugby front. The icing on the cake being to share that season with a couple of games with the club i started playing the game with as a youth over at Hullensians.

If the league is as above, as fix sec at Wetherby I would love to hear from my counterparts at any of the other clubs that fancy hosting both our 1s and 2s on the same day, and then returning the favour on the reverse fixture, always great for a social to get the 1s and the 2s playing together and good for the bar takings as well :)

However I wont be counting them chickens until the end of the season and the confirmation from the RFU.

Dead Ants

• Finding my feet
Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 04:21:15 PM
If 3 sides get promoted from Y2 I could see them all holding their own in Y1. The idea that a big pack and the ability not to be bulied is a good enough reason to do well is a little outdated and totally wrong. Wetherby have a big pack and were not bullied in their last game and they managed to "score" 2 penalty tries and a push over try, unfortunately the oppoisition scored 7 well crafted tries from variuos parts of the field! Dominant packs are indeed a great asset but let's try to develop how we play and make sure the lad on the wing, who also pays his subs, gets to touch the ball every now and then :)

Wilyjim

• Forum old hand
Reply #8 on: April 16, 2022, 05:50:39 PM
I just don't see how Goole are considered contenders for next season. Only won 11 of their 25 games and if you put their pack up against Wetherbys they'd be mincemeat. My money is on West Leeds.

ponte animal

• One of the boys
Reply #9 on: April 16, 2022, 08:13:49 PM
Think you are putting two and two together and making five there dants, the two young Ponte wingers are amongst the top try scorers in the league along with the number eight who has scored however many pushover tries. Having a dominant pack doesn't necessarily mean boring rugby, it means front foot ball which makes back play easier, always has. As for Goole ('if they can build on the second half of the season'), they got 12 points out of 65 before christmas and 45 out of sixty after which backs up my point. They are vulnerable in the scrum but have one of the best forwards in the league and are very well coached, so credit where its due. Look forward to seeing the Wetherby v Goole results next year

Dead Ants

• Finding my feet
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2022, 09:16:00 AM
Think you are putting two and two together and making five there dants, the two young Ponte wingers are amongst the top try scorers in the league along with the number eight who has scored however many pushover tries. Having a dominant pack doesn't necessarily mean boring rugby, it means front foot ball which makes back play easier, always has. As for Goole ('if they can build on the second half of the season'), they got 12 points out of 65 before christmas and 45 out of sixty after which backs up my point. They are vulnerable in the scrum but have one of the best forwards in the league and are very well coached, so credit where its due. Look forward to seeing the Wetherby v Goole results next year
I suppose this is a Y1 forum so it is reasonable for you to think I was referring to teams in Y1 when highlighting that a dominant pack on its own should not be enough to win rugby matched. If you have a quick peek at my previous post I actually highlighted Wetherby's shortcomings as opposed to commenting on Pomte. Sounds like Ponte are tring to play the game properly, well in.

yorkshirewarrior

• Finding my feet
Reply #11 on: April 19, 2022, 09:20:38 AM
I think more credits due to the teams being promoted. Wetherby's pack have set the bench mark all season for there backs to play some great rugby. they've only lost 3/4 games, lets not forget they also beat Hull and Keighley at home. yes Hull beat them by a fair margin at Hull, does that mean Wetherby's backs are not Y1 worthy?

all I was pointing out is they had a big pack, and a strong platform going into Y1, I think all 3 teams will stay up next year, I do believe the gap between y2/y1 is closing year on year so who knows, it could be anyone's game.

Dead Ants

• Finding my feet
Reply #12 on: April 19, 2022, 01:24:01 PM
I think more credits due to the teams being promoted. Wetherby's pack have set the bench mark all season for there backs to play some great rugby. they've only lost 3/4 games, lets not forget they also beat Hull and Keighley at home. yes Hull beat them by a fair margin at Hull, does that mean Wetherby's backs are not Y1 worthy?

all I was pointing out is they had a big pack, and a strong platform going into Y1, I think all 3 teams will stay up next year, I do believe the gap between y2/y1 is closing year on year so who knows, it could be anyone's game.
[Wetherby have indeed had a great season and fair play to them on gaining promotion to Y1. In terms of of the quality of their backs it is difficult to comment really as I have only seen them play twice and they have not featured at all.]

Dead Ants

• Finding my feet
Reply #13 on: April 19, 2022, 01:26:27 PM
Try again  :D

Wetherby have indeed had a great season and fair play to them on gaining promotion to Y1. In terms of of the quality of their backs it is difficult to comment really as I have only seen them play twice and they have not featured at all.

yorkshirewarrior

• Finding my feet
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2022, 11:52:00 AM
Try again  :D

Wetherby have indeed had a great season and fair play to them on gaining promotion to Y1. In terms of of the quality of their backs it is difficult to comment really as I have only seen them play twice and they have not featured at all.

You maybe right DA, I only saw them play against Thorne & Grovians, to which the backs shared the spoils with the forwards. probably not the best teams to bench mark them against in all honesty.