$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; The Season Ahead -

Author Topic: The Season Ahead -  (Read 2403 times)

Offline TalkIsCheap

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
The Season Ahead -
« on: July 06, 2022, 09:46:00 AM »
Next Season should be one of the more competitive leagues we have seen, hopefully we will be in for some well supported corkers.

Teams coming up:
Speaking to some friends who watched plenty of Yorkshire 1 last year, the arrogance that Crocs play with should prove them to be the strongest of the teams coming up, unless Billionaire Bridlington manage to sign well again. Pontefract will be tough to break down but expect them to run out of steam away from home.

Existing Teams:
Moortown and Brods should be strong, as they normally are, and if Scarbados can get some away form - these 3 seem the pick of the bunch. I think it'll come down to that Christmas Period with Brods and Moortown probably taking the edge here.

As for Bradford and Bingley - at least they'll have a cheap guest speaker every week in Brian Noble! Think they might have been better bringing in Lesley Vainikolo, they're going to need some help.

Malton vs Pock is always a great battle as to who can underperform the most. Destined for mid table, maybe this year they can push for a top 3/4 finish but its doubtful. These two would be best having 'It's the hope that kills you' plastered around their home changing rooms! But I do wish them well.

The enigma that is Dronfield. They could offer a few surprises this year, unlike Selby, who's 64-0 loss to Pontefract last year is paving the way for a long tough year.

Should be a great season, good luck to all involved. Let me know your thoughts!

Offline Divide

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
Re: The Season Ahead -
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 03:51:49 PM »
Am i right in thinking this forum is now a joint venture for Reg 2 North & Reg 2 N/E?

If so, below are the two current league for the coming season (which im sure you have all taken a look at since being released).

Two competitive leagues, No play offs, 1 team promoted and 2 relegated.
The cup set up looks a lot more enjoyable than previous... especially considering a lot of teams have pulled out of cup games in recent seasons.

Regional 2 North             Regional 2 North East        

Aspatria                                  Bradford & Bingley
Carlisle                                  Bridlington
Consett                                  Dronfield
Durham City                          Malton and Norton
Keswick                                  Moortown
Middlesbrough                          Morley
Morpeth                                  Old Brodleians
Northern                                  Old Crossleyans
Penrith                                  Pocklington
Percy Park                                  Pontefract
South Shields Westoe                  Scarborough
Stockton                                  Selby

Online backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 04:58:04 PM »
Yes it seemed to make sense to combine the two and members can start threads and comment on teams/league that interests them.

Some threads will be common to both leagues...
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Offline davie

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 07:07:57 AM »
Have any details been released about an end of season cup competition?

Offline Divide

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 11:54:23 AM »
Yes, your league position determines which cup you enter.

Winners from each of the leagues go into the Championship, our leagues would be entered into Pool 4.

Pool 4 (league of 3 games)
Regional 2 NE Winner
Regional 2 N Winner
Regional 2 NW Winner
Best 2nd Place.

This then moves to a semifinal (versus midlands team) & then final against a southern team.

Regional 2 North Plate (32 teams) Knockout only
2nd-6th place (if 2nd doesnt reach champonship)
& Top 4 7th placed teams.

Regional 2 North Shield (32 teams) Knockout only
remaining 7th place teams
8th-12th placed teams

Offline davie

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 08:55:45 AM »
Much appreciated. Couldn’t find this published anywhere.

Offline Rugby Convert

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 09:41:53 PM »
Can only speak for my own team Ponte. They are optimistic about holding their own against some tough competition.  I agree their away form has to be improved but should be OK overall.  They have a very good young team maturing by the day. Also, I understand,  they have a few new players coming in
Can't wait

Online backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2022, 07:11:09 AM »
Ive found that both Y1 and the league above (don't even know what we are going to call it- it's a bit of a loveless mouthful) have always been difficult to predict. So much recruitment goes on it's often the unexpected teams who surprise everyone.

This year more than ever I have no idea who will be strong (although I understand that Brid continue to recruit heavily overseas), even preseason friendlies are meaningless for assessing strength.

The reduction of two clubs is going make the season very strange. I just hope all these mysterious players flood back to the game as promised now that meaningful rugby finishes at the end of February/beginning of March.

Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Offline MORLEYBOI

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 04:06:33 PM »
All this will do is push players to rugby league in March.Shocking decision.Old farts with no idea making decisions.IMO

Offline avinastella

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2022, 09:30:50 PM »
All this will do is push players to rugby league in March.Shocking decision.Old farts with no idea making decisions.IMO
The RFU were made well aware of this fact when they were doing those regional meetings 3-4 years ago. They weren't listening then, they aren't listening now.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.