$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Old grovians

Author Topic: Old grovians  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Bastion

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
Old grovians
« on: July 26, 2022, 09:51:52 PM »
Can anyone from old grovians confirm if they are dropping out of Y2 this season ?

Offline Rob13

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
Re: Old grovians
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 08:25:49 AM »
Speaking with players/ex players it sounds like they are pulling out.

Offline Dan Nulty

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 12:42:59 PM »
Will know more after the meeting tonight. Unfortunately, you can't play without players. Doesn't help when some of the few who are left are being offered £100 per game to help a club in a similar predicament last season. As soon as we have anything concrete to say the RFU will be informed.

Really gutted.

Offline Caravanboys

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 05:04:31 PM »
Don’t think they will be the last before the season starts.

Offline Dan Nulty

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 07:21:54 PM »
Apparently 2 other clubs within a few miles are also struggling really badly according to the rfu.

Hope everyone manages to get through this period. Feel quite strongly thst something needs to change and fast or this could be a slow death of amateur rugby.

Offline Rob13

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 09:19:02 PM »
Wouldn't be Bees would it?

Spoke with a couple of players at Ilkley 7's and they say they are being offered 50-100 a game. Whether it's true or not who knows.

Offline Ribbflagman

• A little respect please...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 07:18:16 AM »
I would say it's true. Offers have been made to a few of our lads. They must be in a bad way. Have they not learnt that throwing money at players bankrupts the club and totally demoralises the local lads who get pushed out.

Offline Speccy

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 09:19:23 AM »
Unfortunately, I suspect that there are around 8/12 clubs on the edge due to shortage of players and another smaller group of clubs experiencing financial difficulties. The situation wont improve this coming season with increased heating and travel costs.

Online hobbo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 10:23:01 AM »
Hope you get this sorted Dan.  OG's have been a staple of Y2 for a number of season now - always enjoyed playing you boys.  Be a massive shame to see you drop out.

Offline Pristine Shorts

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2022, 12:17:10 PM »
Will know more after the meeting tonight. Unfortunately, you can't play without players. Doesn't help when some of the few who are left are being offered £100 per game to help a club in a similar predicament last season. As soon as we have anything concrete to say the RFU will be informed.

Really gutted.
That’s bad news, Dan. Sorry for the Club.

Offline KLY-LAD

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 02:25:40 PM »
I would say it's true. Offers have been made to a few of our lads. They must be in a bad way. Have they not learnt that throwing money at players bankrupts the club and totally demoralises the local lads who get pushed out.

We have seen them splashing the cash locally, will they ever learn?

Offline Ribbflagman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 11:40:45 PM »
Sorry Dan, it was very remiss of me not to wish you all the best as a club and hope you can find a way through this difficult time. Might sound like madness, and it probably is, but, with so many other clubs within a 10 mile radius, in an effort to save Grovians and give them a chance to sort out the problems could they not lend a player each to help keep them afloat.
Otherwise if we dont pull together i fear there may be several more casualties this season.
Just trying to be positive, I know its along shot.
THought Please.

Offline KLY-LAD

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2022, 12:07:50 PM »
Just seen a statement from Old Grovians on twitter saying they are pulling out of Y2, sad day for rugby, the clubs that contributed to that need to take a long hard look at themselves

https://twitter.com/oldgroviansrufc/status/1553330756914651137?s=21&t=YIW_rZtKdiilQAMGTOiXJg

Offline Dan Nulty

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2022, 12:35:47 PM »
Yes, was just going to post this. Unfortunately we have no choice.

It has been a brilliant ride, met some fantastic people over the years at clubs around Yorkshire. Thanks to those that welcomed us with open arms and respected what we were trying to do.

I dont think anyone realises how much work is involved in running a club unless they've done it. The men and women who have been involved and keeping it going for so long have been amazing so a massive thanks.

Will miss you all but will be hopefully see many of you about over the next few years.

Offline gateprop

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2022, 10:52:47 AM »
Terrible news. Won’t be the last either unfortunately. I think in Yorkshire 3 last year there was 6 out of the 14 teams giving walkovers at some point due to player unavailability, 3 of which were very regular in the 2nd half of the season. Hopefully having less games will reduce the strain on players but I still think player habits have changed over the last few years and it’s going to be horrendously difficult to reverse this. The mentality of ‘Saturdays are for rugby’ is dying out.

I hope Old Grovians can regroup and come back at some level in the future. They were always a good set of lads and you never want to see a club go under.