$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Wharfedale pull plug on 3rds

Wharfedale pull plug on 3rds

This is a discussion for the topic Wharfedale pull plug on 3rds on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: Wharfedale pull plug on 3rds  (Read 1861 times)

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
on: October 01, 2022, 06:49:30 AM
“After several weeks behind the scenes discussions, it has been agreed that The Development side, or The Thirds, will come out of their merit league for the rest of the season. Be assured that this decision hasn’t been taken lightly and re-entry into the merit table will be reviewed at the end of this season. Dwindling player numbers and availabilities has led us to this point.

So, moving forward, we are looking at playing friendly fixtures and also looking toward some Friday night fixtures. Ideally we would be looking to field aside twice a month.

If you feel you can …”

Lower team struggling across the game.
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Speccy

• Forum old hand
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 09:13:39 AM
In the various Yorks Merit Tables the position is truely dire.

In Central NW Merit Table, half of the supposed 31 sides havent yet played a game, whilst only 3, Huddersfield YM,Yarnbury and Leos have played on all four saturdays.

Much the same in South Merit Table, with half the sides mot yet playing, whilst in Eastern Merit Table, only 4of the11 sides have played a game.

Frankly many sides included in the Tables havent played a game for at least 3 seasons, with some clubs struggling to field a first XV, still having their 2nd and 3rd teams listed. Time for a little reality.

Russell Crow

• Finding my feet
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 09:22:35 AM
Sad to hear, Wharfedale 3’s have always been a very competitive side. Must be quite challenging recruiting players in that part of the world given the geography. Hopefully see them back up and running in the future.
Ní dhéanfadh an soal capall rasa d’asal

Rob13

• Forum old hand
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 10:05:21 AM
In the various Yorks Merit Tables the position is truely dire.

In Central NW Merit Table, half of the supposed 31 sides havent yet played a game, whilst only 3, Huddersfield YM,Yarnbury and Leos have played on all four saturdays.

Much the same in South Merit Table, with half the sides mot yet playing, whilst in Eastern Merit Table, only 4of the11 sides have played a game.

Frankly many sides included in the Tables havent played a game for at least 3 seasons, with some clubs struggling to field a first XV, still having their 2nd and 3rd teams listed. Time for a little reality.

The Central NW Merit Table (that we are in as well) is an after thought in my opinion. As you say a massive amount of sides accross the board either dont exist or are hoping week by week to raise a side.

Over the last five years we have had very strong numbers for a 3XV and pretty well in the league managing to go unbeaten on the field for two of those years yet somehow have never managed to be promoted...We are now in the postion where we are having sides give back word on us and lads are making other plans such as working, who can blame them? If we get 3/4 of our games played Ill be impressed and Im not going to be shocked if we follow suit as some of the other teams and fold because players have had enough.

Last season we had Selby cancel both our fixtures on the week yet played against another side on one of them? We then had Roundhegians decide that our home fixture would only go ahead if we agreed to reverse it to their place because one of their players was having a booze up due to him leaving...our lads refused. To my understanding neither club were pulled up over it. If people want to know why people are losing interest here is one of many examples.

All these meetings to discuss a way forward have been a waste of time in my opinion and simply an excuse to show who is in charge. If people were serious about sorting "things" out there would be a concentrated effort to bring together clubs who can put sides out and try put together competetive leagues.

I don't know what peoples opinions are but RU in the south is in no where near as much trouble as the North with playing numbers speaking to friends down there.Clubs still putting out 3-5 sides.

Ribbflagman

Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 12:12:30 AM
Rob
      there is a definite decline in playing numbers in Yorkshire. Our 2s had seven merit games off in succession after xmas (of which Ilkley 3s were one, not wanting to travel with 9 players). I dont know what the answer is but as I have said earlier re Wharfedale 3s pulling out, If they are down to two teams (not long ago they had six), god help the rest of us. Looking forward to your 3s bus trip to Ribb. Our 2s wont be on a bus for the reverse fixture but we are planning on another "call in" for a few pints on another coach journey home as we did last season.

Ribbflagman

Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 12:18:54 AM
Just as an example our 2s travelled to YMCA last season only to get a phonecall when 10 minutes away saying that the grounds were unfit. Thats fair enough BUT I believe when (as they had promised they would) It was their turn to travel to us they said they couldnt get a side to travel, even though we said we would have 6 or seven spare, and then played a 3s fixture. No doubt filled with lads who wouldnt travel.
THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

Rob13

• Forum old hand
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 12:51:55 PM
Hey up Ribb man, yes we had 9 players due to supporting the 2's. Calling a game off is not something I like doing and Ive made the point of our first game with yourselves to be at your place.

Looking forward to it.

YMCA are now Laund Hill if Im right? They seem to be playing a bit more this season so fingers crossed.

Ribbflagman

Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 09:05:32 PM
👍👍👍
Looking forward to seeing you and buying the beers.