$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Results today 29/10

Results today 29/10

This is a discussion for the topic Results today 29/10 on the board Yorkshire 4.

Author Topic: Results today 29/10  (Read 1927 times)

JB26

• Finding my feet
on: October 29, 2022, 06:52:43 PM
Pretty predictable results today. No shocks.
Aireborough 14-24 Halifax, really competitive game in the mud on the hill. It was our first real mud match, and I thought the boys did a sensational job.
First half was mainly Halifax playing really well. Aire had a really good second half, but our defence and the conditions often led to a mistake.
Aire have a really good group of youngsters and some experienced boys.
Today was our day. But it was our toughest game by some way.
Well done Aire

schming

• One of the boys
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 07:37:15 PM
I think that's a fair summary - more experience, fantastic defence and the ability to capitalise on mistakes proved the difference. Two good teams playing some competitive rugby in the mud with Halifax deserving the points whilst Aire should probably have got a bonus point.

UtilityBack

• Finding my feet
Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 12:24:37 PM
Mods travelled with 14 yesterday v Trees.  Uncontested scrums, no line out lifting and limited mauling played out under game on rules apparently

Russell Crow

• Finding my feet
Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 02:08:12 PM
Well done for travelling! Walkovers don’t do anybody any good.
Ní dhéanfadh an soal capall rasa d’asal

UtilityBack

• Finding my feet
Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 06:56:48 PM
Fully agree and well done to get a game on.  However, it’s not the rugby lads want to play. 

Massive confusion over rules etc and it’s just a hybrid ‘game’ you can play in training. 

Trees could have just put all their backs and back row subs on from the start but didn’t. So it wasn’t a cricket score but if the league eventually comes down to points difference etc I don’t think it’s fair for anyone especially the piano shifters. 

What’s to stop a team just picking backrow players up front and leaving the big boys in the bar?

No scrums, no real line outs, no real mauling, 10-13 men.  Results stand league wise inc. points and bonus points

Doesn’t feel right somehow

JB26

• Finding my feet
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 05:38:22 PM
I take it “utilityback” is from Nestle Rowntree??? Correct me if I’m wrong.
But if you are, we have already had a call from the Trees to say they have no front rows so will need to play under the “new” rules. We have offered to lend them some front rowers to make a game of it as we have 100+ people eating at the presidents luncheon. I hope they accept. Teams are struggling, and I agree that games should be played. So let’s get it on.

gateprop

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
Reply #6 on: November 01, 2022, 09:51:09 PM
Fully agree and well done to get a game on.  However, it’s not the rugby lads want to play. 

Massive confusion over rules etc and it’s just a hybrid ‘game’ you can play in training. 

Trees could have just put all their backs and back row subs on from the start but didn’t. So it wasn’t a cricket score but if the league eventually comes down to points difference etc I don’t think it’s fair for anyone especially the piano shifters. 

What’s to stop a team just picking backrow players up front and leaving the big boys in the bar?

No scrums, no real line outs, no real mauling, 10-13 men.  Results stand league wise inc. points and bonus points

Doesn’t feel right somehow

It might not be the rugby lads want to play, but it’s better than a walkover. You have to look at the financial impact as well. If a game is cancelled where there’s a pre match lunch for 100 people as we’ve seen a few times across various leagues how much could that impact a club in lost revenue? Not just for expense on the day and lost bar takings but the image it gives to sponsors and potential sponsors about how wise it is to invest in rugby at the moment.

Golferkev

• Finding my feet
Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 12:05:49 AM
Excuse my ignorance on the new front row rules but if a team travels with no front row and has uncontested scrums etc can they still receive league points if they win the game

UtilityBack

• Finding my feet
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 12:08:34 AM
I take it “utilityback” is from Nestle Rowntree??? Correct me if I’m wrong.
But if you are, we have already had a call from the Trees to say they have no front rows so will need to play under the “new” rules. We have offered to lend them some front rowers to make a game of it as we have 100+ people eating at the presidents luncheon. I hope they accept. Teams are struggling, and I agree that games should be played. So let’s get it on.

For the forum, JB knows who I am and has messaged me directly, unless it’s the other JB who’s coaching at Fax and not DoR JB! (I’m former coach, bottle washer and current committee and life member and Trees) but I think some context is required.  ‘Not rugby lads want to play’ was more to do with hybrid rules, no scrums, limited mauls and no line out lifting.  I also meant that if game on is applied that, even give potential FR issues for us this weekend, that perhaps a team accepting a game played as such might not benefit from playing against teams who need to, eg perhaps an extra point for a team accepting game on as a proposal from their opposition.  Currently a 12 v 12 for 60 mins with resrticted scrums, mauling and lineouts is the same as a full blooded XV v XV.  That can only be papering over cracks if the league structure? 

I sincerely hope we get the kind of game you want on for your lunch on Saturday, that it’s exciting, that c.40 guys get a game and that our travelling contingent make the most of your kind hospitality

UtilityBack

• Finding my feet
Reply #9 on: November 02, 2022, 12:10:29 AM
Excuse my ignorance on the new front row rules but if a team travels with no front row and has uncontested scrums etc can they still receive league points if they win the game

Yes they can, if agreed pre KO and 15 -20 guys get a game.  JB’s point I think was they’ve offered to lend so a ‘full on’ game can be played for their club celebrations having been cancelled 3 times previously

JB26

• Finding my feet
Reply #10 on: November 02, 2022, 03:19:20 PM
That was my point. I am the coach at Fax… and York RI cancelled on us with 200+ at a sponsors meal, we lost some but not loads of money, it was too late to get a replacement. We then changed the meal for this weekend, hoping for a tough game  against tough opposition, we have +~ 100 people attending this week for the president’s meal… we are happy to help out with front rowers for the game. We have two you could borrow, they are in our match day 20 every week, and would provide a tough test for us. We want to play, no matter what. And… hospitality is a given… you will not be disappointed.

Rob13

• Forum old hand
Reply #11 on: November 02, 2022, 05:50:19 PM
These hybrid rules leaves you shaking your head don’t they?Uncontested scrums I can understand but no line out jumping and limited mauls? How soft is this game getting?

Golferkev

• Finding my feet
Reply #12 on: November 02, 2022, 06:42:06 PM
These hybrid rules leaves you shaking your head don’t they?Uncontested scrums I can understand but no line out jumping and limited mauls? How soft is this game getting?

100% agree. I’m not for one minute suggesting rugby players of 20/30 years ago are tougher than now. However there is certainly a different mindset and direction

If we had 15 players back then we automatically had a front row. If we lost a front row player we put the next best option went in there

I remember our flanker spending a very uncomfortable afternoon up against Selwyn of Stocksbridge (some of you may remember him).  Despite this he would rather have quit rugby than go to uncontested scrums

Fully understand the rules dictate otherwise now and well done to Halifax offering players to the opposition to make sure the game goes ahead.