$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Week 11

Week 11

This is a discussion for the topic Week 11 on the board Regional Two (North & North East).

Author Topic: Week 11  (Read 3234 times)

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
on: November 23, 2022, 08:29:39 PM
Firstly please can I express my profound sadness and sympathy following the death of Tom Edwards, captain of Selby RUFC.

I think a minutes silence at every match in the league would be appropriate this weekend as a mark of respect at the loss of a member of the rugby family at such a young age.

Bradford & Bingley v Selby - RIP Tom Edwards, no prediction.

Bridlington v Scarborough
A typical local derby where all form goes out the window. Scarborough on a good run and Brid doing OK with a mixed bag of results. Few people will bet against Brid at home in a local derby - although I'll always back Scarborough. Should be a cracker.

Dronfield v Pontefract
Not sure about this but think Pnte should get a close win.

Malton and Norton v Pocklington
High scoring home win for Malton, not sure where Pocks next win is going to come from.

Moortown v Old Crossleyans
Interesting one here. I'm tempted to go for a draw but I think Moortown should just about pip it.

Old Brodleians v Morley
Easy win for Bords.

Good rugby everyone.
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

ponte animal

• One of the boys
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 09:50:53 PM
Nicely said BRB, very difficult to get the juices flowing for rugby again after the devastating news from Selby. This news hits home to everyone, RIP Tom.

With no enthusiasm, here we go.

Bradford & Bingley v Selby- Tough for both sides and bound to be an emotional occasion. Well done Selby for fulfilling the fixture and I hope our wonderful game provides some comfort to all whatever the result. Comfortable away win.

Bridlington v Scarborough- MOTD. Backing Brid for a five pointer. Nowt for Scarbs but Brid not unbeatable and a Scarbs victory would be a massive statement.

Malton and Norton v Pocklington - Comfortable home win unless Pock has used the break to invest in talent.

Dronfield v Pontefract- First ever visit to Drons for Ponte. No away game is easy and I expect a tough battle. Ponte with players back I hear so going for a five point away win.

Moortown v Old Crossleyans- Crocs revival has been impressive and Moortown's form has been suspect, but not terrible. Max points for town, but might take a few hits along the way.

Old Brodleians v Morley- For some reason I think Morley are better than their results suggest. They are doing their best to dispel that thought and no joy here on the slope against a team with much improved results of late.

Good luck all.

Ribbflagman

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 10:05:40 PM
Obviously not involved in this league but I would like to reiterate all of BRBs comments. coincidentally we at Ribb suffered the same thing on the same day with one of our 2004 Twickenham lads aged 54. It is a huge blow to all concerned and we from Ribb send our sincere condolances to all our friends from Selby. We are having our own minutes silence pre match tomorrow and I will make it my business as chair to make sure that it for the Selby lad as well.
Extremely sad times for all concerned.

omigidiant

• Legend
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 11:25:42 PM
A difficult time for rugby in this region especially for Selby and most of all for Tom's family who I know have all our depest sympathies. Whilst Selby quite rightly mourn, as we all do, I feel Tom would want us to carry on in the true rugby tradition. So with a heavy heart here are my forecasts for this weekend.

B & B v Selby.
Nobody wants this fixture but Tom's spirit is being honoured and Selby will do him proud.

Bridlington v Scarborough.
The match of the day for me and I think the foul mouthed Brid coach will be put in his place by what I consider to be a very competent Scarborough outfit.

Malton & Norton v Pocklington
Normally I would say this would be a cracking encounter but I have to say I think it will be a reasonably easy win for M&N.

Dronfield v Pontefract
On paper I would think Ponte should run out easy winnners but the game isn't played on paper and Dronfield have produced some good results so whilst I think it will be a Ponte win I think it will be close.

Moortown v Old Crossleyans
Even with some reasonable results Crocs are still finding their feet at this level and Moortown are difficult to beat at home even on an off day, so I take them to take the spoils but maybe a losing bonus point for Crocs.

Old Brodlieians v Morley
Not sure what to make of Morley so far this season and their away form seems to be a bit dire. Brods on the other hand keep claimimg they are a young team in the making but seem to keep pulling out the wins so with home advantage I take a Brods win.
Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!

Memory_Man

• Legend
Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 03:57:12 PM
Town - 51
Crocs - 15

Dominate performance from the first whistle. Crocs looked poor despite their 5 game win streak.

Memory_Man

• Legend
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 04:06:29 PM
Get in Brid!

No wonder BRB is quiet, he’s usually fastest finger first on FT scores.

omigidiant

• Legend
Reply #6 on: November 26, 2022, 04:30:36 PM
Bradford & Bingley 7 - 27 Selby
Bridlington 26 - 24 Scarborough
Dronfield 15 - 13 Pontefract
Malton and Norton 60 - 19 Pocklington
Moortown 51 - 15 Old Crossleyans
Old Brodleians 51 - 22 Morley

« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 04:33:18 PM by omigidiant »
Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #7 on: November 26, 2022, 04:58:30 PM
Firstly there was fitting respect shown today following the loss of Tom Edwards the Selby Captain. A minutes silence was observed and both teams laid up their number 7 shirts for the day.

Brid snatched the match with pretty much the last kick of the match with a penalty under the posts.

I'll post a full review after the England match.

omigidiant

• Legend
Reply #8 on: November 26, 2022, 11:12:10 PM
As a Scot and a rugby supporter it is another sad day today on the announcement of the death of Doddie Weir the Great Scottish International after a long fight with MND. Only last week he was at Murrayfield to see off Kevin Sinfield on his 7 Ultra marathons to raise money for MND on behalf of his great friend Leeds Rhino's Rugby League star Rob Burrows. Our two codes have not always seen eye to eye but on this issue no matter who you follow the rugby family of both codes have come together to try and beat this disease. I know all our clubs support great charities and hopefully small donations from them to help find a cure for  MND will help to remember those who have fought the disease and tried to find a cure like Rob and Doddie.Thank you for many great rugby memories Doddie and may you RIP.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #9 on: November 27, 2022, 07:58:06 AM
Yes was sad to hear of Doddie Weirs death. He was one of the most engaging and genuine speakers we have had a Silver Royd. Stayed till the early hours and then went around town with old boys and ended up sleeping in his car - or some such story. A real loss.

As for yesterday's match.
Excellent pre-match hospitality and food. Brid must have spent a fortune on the comedian they had in the room, it was like having Peter Kay in our presence 😉😁.

For the first 50 mins of the match Brid played really well and were clearly up for it. As is often the case in derbies Scarborough made a number of unforced errors and couldn't get into the match. Scabs not helped by having 3 different players carded. Im not entirely sure what any of them were for and that's not a criticism of the ref, I just wasn't close enough to see. They all seemed very minor. Either way it meant playing 30mins with 14 men.
Brid dominated the scrums and Scarborough dominated the lineouts (until the last one!).

In the last 20 mins with all players on the park Scarborough got their game going and moved into a 1 point lead. In all honesty the expectation was that we would score another couple of tries in the last 5 or 6 minutes we were so on top but those unforced errors came back. Dropped balls and kicking balls dead.
Having said all that, it was excellent play from Brid that stole them the game. They were dead on their feet and out of it but their fly half (I think) flowing another Scarborough error kicked a 50/22 giving them the throw in our 22 (last minute of the game). Having lost nearly every lineout they changed planned and throw it low into the belly of their front man who charged down the touchline. One way or another play ended up under the posts and an inevitable penalty was awarded which was kicked.

The kickoff was recovered and kicked into touch for the end of the match....you can imagine the celebrations!

All in all a fair result, likewise had they not scored it would have been.

Good day out, good rugby and good atmosphere....no complaints.

Memory_Man

• Legend
Reply #10 on: November 27, 2022, 04:09:31 PM
Ponte also seem quiet when you consider they are usually the first to pass comment on the days action. I’m sure it’s nothing to do with the result yesterday at Mount Dronfield.

ponte animal

• One of the boys
Reply #11 on: November 27, 2022, 08:47:19 PM
Tough game, Ponte scrum going forward like a high speed train but the team lacked discipline and did not have the composure to work position. Dronfield deserved it.

kingofthewingers

• Finding my feet
Reply #12 on: November 28, 2022, 01:35:44 PM
Surprised to see the Brods scoreline over the weekend, any insight into their/Morleys squad to suggest such a hammering on the hill?

Moortown bringing Crocs back down to earth with a bang probably shouldn't have surprised me as much as it did, have they remembered how to play winter rugby ready for a long run at the title? I don't see many being able to threaten them over the next couple of months.

Surprised Ponte slipped up down south, sounds as though they had the winning of the game up front so unless the weather has been much drier down their than elsewhere in the league I can't understand how they managed to let that result happen.

ponte animal

• One of the boys
Reply #13 on: November 28, 2022, 02:10:39 PM
Line outs and breakdown Ponte were second best. Penalties against relieved pressure time and again. Ponte bombed a couple of chances but so did Dronsfield. Played the slope very well, as you would expect.