$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Round 12

Round 12

This is a discussion for the topic Round 12 on the board Regional One (North East).

Author Topic: Round 12  (Read 2150 times)

Differ Lid

• Forum old hand
on: December 02, 2022, 12:48:59 PM
Let’s see if predicting this week’s figures gets a little more involvement than the final league standing.

Alnwick Vs Ilkley
Ilkley tested Driffield last weekend for 60 minutes, but they fell away in the last part of the game. If they had made it count for 80-minutes, then would have been a nervy game for both sides. However, don’t believe an 80-minute performance will be enough to beat Alnwick away – Alnwick Win

Paviors Vs Heath
Paviors seemed to test teams at home, beating Alnwick and York is no small feat. Think they will certainly test Heath who are coming into this game on the back of last weeks loss, but with the confidence of the high scoring result against Paviors earlier in the season. Think this will be a close game. Going for the 1st upset of the day – Paviors Win.

Scunthorpe Vs Donny
Scunny desperate for a win, even with 5 points not being enough to get them out of the bottom 2 they are going to need a strong second half to the season to stay in the league. I think they will be up for this game and will certainly run Phoenix close but not have enough - Donny Win

West Bridgford Vs Cleckheaton
I Imagine Cleckheaton will be disappointed dropping points last weekend and wanting to get back to winning ways quickly. The Nottingham sides certainly seem to prefer playing at home with Bridgford 2 wins of the season coming on home soil. Will go for a double Nottingham upset – West Win

York Vs Billingham
York only lost the reverse fixture by 10 points away on the 4g earlier in the season conceding 24 points, which has been the smallest winning margin for the Billingham boys at home. Think only a handful of fixtures left for Billingham that will be a real test and believe this will be one of them. If anyone else is to have a shot at the top spot then they will be hoping for York to get a result here. Think it will be a big ask but 3 wins in a row for York might have given them enough confidence to pull it off. 3rd Upset of the day – York Win

Sandal Vs Driffield
The reverse fixture Driffield got off to a flying start and Sandal were chasing the game, and they ultimately ran out of puff. After a slow start to the season Sandal have been competitive with a notable win at home against Alnwick and then last week's draw against Cleckheaton. So they will certainly give Driffield a close game, but the Woldsmen should have enough – Driffield Win

Kellythorpe

• One of the boys
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 04:27:22 PM
Here is another go. Nearly right last week!
Alnwick v Ilkley. Have to go for home win. I will be surprised if any other result.
Paviors v Heath. I cannot see Heath slipping up unless they have men missing. Away win.
Scunthorpe v DP. I go for home win, on the basis that Scunny will be throwing everything for a result before it gets to a desperate situation.
WB v Cleck. I have only seen WB when they got their worst result v Driff. They seem to have improved but away win.
York v Billingham. I am sure Billingham will be up for this. Very close game as York much improved results of late. Very close away win.
Sandal v Driffield.  This could be close as Sandal surely must improve. I will give an away win, just!

Pristine Shorts

• A little respect please...
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 04:29:20 PM
Alnwick v Ilkley - a losing bonus point at home and an encouraging performance at Driffield last week lead me to believe a similar result is on the cards. If we’re talking upsets, this would be the one !

Paviors v Heath - purely on league positions, I have to go for an away win, but certainly a close one.

Scunthorpe v Phoenix - from my point of view, I’d be happy if they drew. Failing that, I’ll go for a home win.

West Bridgford v Cleckheaton - I have to go for Cleck for this one. I suspect the conditions will suit them more.

York v Billingham - this should be a cracking game. York are more inconsistent though, so it’s another for the Champs in waiting.

Sandal v Driffield - simply on the basis that I feel the Woldsmen are the better side, an away win.

Differ Lid

• Forum old hand
Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 08:12:55 PM
So none of my upset results came through and all results as league positions suggested they would be.

Driffield had possibly the worst performance I’ve seen this season. (For 60 minutes)
Some poor defence in the wide channels gave the Sandal 15 (who is a very good player) far too much room and he made ground at ease, putting driffield 12-0 down very quickly. Another try for Sandal and a penalty for Driffield left the half time score 17-3.
Driffield created very few chances early in the second half and quickly found themselves 29-3 down.
A Red card for Sandal seemed to be the wake up call Driffield needed and offered some hope as they started to take chances.
It was painful to watch at times, 4 forward passes which would have been certain tries, dominated the scrum and lineout all game but unable to capitalise on the dominant set piece until late in the game. Ultimately the Woldsmen left themselves too much to do, and not enough time.
3 points away from home on the back of a poor performance has to be a small positive. But hopefully not to many more performances like that this season

Wakefield4

• Finding my feet
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 08:19:13 PM
A good summary. Thought both 15s were very good as were th Driffield's away support for both their ones and twos. Also a v good try saving tackle from sandal 15 just b4 half time which may have changed game a bit if driffield had got one back before playing down the slope.

Differ Lid

• Forum old hand
Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 08:28:26 PM
A good summary. Thought both 15s were very good as were th Driffield's away support for both their ones and twos. Also a v good try saving tackle from sandal 15 just b4 half time which may have changed game a bit if driffield had got one back before playing down the slope.

That was some tackle, he made a similar tackle in the second half in the corner which stopped another certain try.
Ultimately on the back of Driffields poor performance and the red card for Sandal it felt like a fair result. Neither side looked happy with the draw and going for the win in the final minutes

Wakefield4

• Finding my feet
Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 08:31:57 PM

That was some tackle, he made a similar tackle in the second half in the corner which stopped another certain try.
Ultimately on the back of Driffields poor performance and the red card for Sandal it felt like a fair result. Neither side looked happy with the draw and going for the win in the final minutes

Would fully agree. Think driff 2s had a good game as well. Sandal normally puy the highlights of the first team games on their youtube channel on a sunday morning.

Kellythorpe

• One of the boys
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2022, 01:08:28 PM
Agree with DL with regard to Driff's poor performance for most of the game. Unable to hang onto the ball. In first few minutes they missed two certain tries due to silly mistakes and it was only after the red card did they really look as though they wanted to pull themselves up and play some sharp rugby. The final minutes were exciting. Driff missed a difficult conversion to snatch the game which would have been hard on Sandal.
Nearly the final act brought up an interesting situation. Sandal awarded a penalty just in Driff's half. Whilst the referee explained the decision to the Driff captain with his back to the Sandal kicker, the kicker eased the ball forward on the floor with his foot three times. The Driff. 15 ran up to protest. The referee turned round and advanced the kick 10 metres forward despite protestations from the Driff captain. That meant the kick was now approx 12 metres nearer to the posts! Luckily for Driff the kick missed. Lessons to be learnt - if you give a penalty make sure you scratch the turf to mark the spot before you turn away.
Having watched Driff f in all their games this season but one, I agree this was one of their poorest and were lucky to get away with three points. However, they showed guts to lift their game in the final quarter.