$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Two Y1 clubs in funding crisis.

Author Topic: Two Y1 clubs in funding crisis.  (Read 11368 times)

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
Two Y1 clubs in funding crisis.
« on: December 19, 2010, 07:23:16 AM »
I have it on good authority that two separate clubs over the last month have appealed to the RFU for emergency funding due to solvency issues. I genuinely don't know which clubs they are other than I was told they were "mid sized".

I obviously know its not Scarborough, as Brid are happy to point out in their local paper every week one thing we don't lack is cash......... So who is it??

Anyone any ideas? ???
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Offline Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
    • View Profile
Re: Two Y1 clubs in funding crisis.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 10:11:55 AM »
Easier to come from the other direction.
Malton/York/Scarb/Sheff/Selb always in the money whatever their league position.
Heath's enormous fan base ensures their stability.
Dinn/Keigh/Knott community clubs always with events on.
That leaves Brid (whose financial woes are well known), Cas (hut in the middle of nowhere, reliant on car boot sales), Ilk (in middle of expensive rebuild, income streams must have been damaged), Ribb (always in splendid isolation), and Salem (never understood how they survive anyway).
Brid - unlikely to want to admit the situation.
Ribb - don't really know enough about them.
My money is on Ilk and Salem, with Cas as first reserve, being clubs whose infrastructures seem to need the most support and who would be savvy enough to ask for help from RFU. 8)
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Offline Burnsy

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 12:20:24 PM »
Trust me, it's not Cas, far too much money goes on players.
6 Nations Prediction League Winner Due To Botts Generosity 2011

The biggest downside of sudden unexpected death is being unable to delete your Internet search history.

Offline backrowbandit

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 01:04:35 PM »
I'm sure once Ging has worked out the colour of the sun, he'll let us know.

Offline Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 01:24:41 PM »
Ginger people avoid the sun at all costs, so he won't have a clue and I suspect he'll be lost to us for ever. ::)

wheatley person - haven't you contradicted your own argument  ???

Offline His Lordship

• God
  • No need to kneel...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Twitter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 01:44:52 PM »
Whilst from my shaven head it might be difficult to tell, my 'goatie' gives away the fact that I too......am Ginger!  :'(

Anyway, we won't dwell on that...

Can't comment on the financials at Dinnington, I'm only there to save money by running the website and creating the match programmes plus any other media stuff that I'm asked to do. My lad plays in the 2nd XV on the odd occasion when he's back from University, so I spend very little time at the club these days and even less so around 1st XV circles.

However, whilst Dinnington do have the fair share of events, there are certainly less than a few years ago, and all are not that well attended - in fact a number have been cancelled due to low ticket sales. That said, some events are heaving - the carols and brass band night next week is now ticket only due to it's popularity.

Where Dinnington struggles (and possibly the same with some other clubs) is that the club is not on the doorstep of many of it's members - sitting a distance away from the edge of Dinnington as many of you will know. Therefore whereas some clubs will get a decent turn-out of regulars of an evening, the numbers at Dinnington can be counted on one hand.

I'm sure that renting the overflow car-park for car-boots in the summer does go a long way towards keeping the club afloat

Offline Burnsy

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 01:48:13 PM »
How have I contradicted it? When I say far too much, I mean far too much for the quality of player. £200 a game when Derek was there.

The biggest downside of sudden unexpected death is being unable to delete your Internet search history.

Offline backrowbandit

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 02:16:59 PM »
Tough times ahead for all sports clubs. From a business and trading perspecive there are only two places to be, 1) very small or 2) very big. Clubs that get stuck in the middle ground are will find it harder....

As for paying players at this level, there has to be a very sound sustainable reason for doing it.

Level 1  should be full time pro.
Leve 2 should be largely semi pro with small number of pro (top couple of teams)

Level 3, should have no full time teams, mostly match fee only

level 4 and below should be no payments  -not by ruling but by common sense....

Offline Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 08:51:32 AM »
Think about it wheatley - the question is about clubs in financial crisis - you say can't be Cas because they pay too much to players - with no other income being generated at present, isn't that a good reason for a touch of crisis ??? ??? ???

Am thinking of resigning from this new board - bumperson is starting to sound reasonable! :o

Offline backrowbandit

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 09:27:43 AM »
It wont last.... it never does  ;D

Offline Burnsy

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 11:16:23 AM »
Money that players receive generally doesn't come from the club itself but from 'sponsors'. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Offline backrowbandit

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 11:50:55 AM »
or a match fee, or win bonus. Either way, no play no pay!

Offline neverplayedstandoff

• Deputy Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 12:28:47 PM »
Cannot see financial difficulties being added to Ilks woes. They have no income stream from bar during rebuild as post match is at Ilkley CC acroos road from them. this they "surely" factored in to their rebuild plans.
Bradford Salem - yes very much out on a limb clubhouse looking very "tired" would indicate lack of funds.
North Ribb sold previous ground for housing, albeit a while ago,with price of land in Settle cant see them being stony just yet.
Cas ,yes out a limb ,but dont know about finances, they have had a bit of work done on changing rooms and stand recently,
again dont know how financed.C2N enlighten us???
Yes that just leaves Brid who are in financial trouble, how do we know, because they publish it on their website for all to see.Wait with interest for denials etc etc.
So for me its the 2 B's
Y1 Pundits league winner 2010/11 seems a long time ago

Offline heathen

• Forum old hand
  • DIGNI ESTE FAVORE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 12:44:33 PM »
didnt know you could apply to HQ for emergency funds,if there are 2 YI clubs in need of this funding how many more clubs from other divisions have applied?

i have no idea which clubs from Y1 have applied i know its not heath,(we didnt know you could).and i imagine that our overheads are amonst the lowest in the division.

Offline TopCat

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 02:13:18 PM »
Judging by what is happening higher up in the league structure it is very sad to see traditional clubs struggle financially but ask yourself why? Every club has sponsors who have stuck by their clubs and are now tightening their belts in the current climate. I am sure Ilkley would have taken that into account whilst their state of art complex is being built and if they are one of them then it will only be short term i am sure. If other clubs are still paying players and are now seeking help from the RFU then this is very short sighted and puts the whole club at risk. If they have genuine reasons for the shortfall then i am sure the RFU and their RDO's will help in some way. It is too easy for clubs to go out and sign 6 or 7 new players on the off chance that someone will pay for them but then when results don't go their way they blame the weather or lack of income for letting a few of them go.