$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Christmas Round Up

Christmas Round Up

This is a discussion for the topic Christmas Round Up on the board Regional Two (North & North East).

Author Topic: Christmas Round Up  (Read 3001 times)

TalkIsCheap

• Finding my feet
on: December 19, 2023, 01:00:43 PM
The table at Christmas:
1) Selby
2) Old Brodleians
3) Goole
4) Rochdale
5) Dronfield
6) Malton and Norton
7) Morley
8) Moortown
9) Bridlington
10) Old Crossleyans
11) Scarborough
12) Glossop

An excellent campaign so far with plenty to talk about. Goole playing out of their skin and over-achieving if you compare it with how many thought they would do this year, Moortown being the opposite, underperforming and unable to get a result.

If I was a bookmaker:

Win the league:

Selby 8/11

Old Brodleians 2/1

Goole 4/1

Other 8/1

Relegation:

Glossop 1/10

Scarborough 1/7

Other 3/1

Enjoy your Christmas all.

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 06:54:30 PM
Not the best first half of the season for Scarborough! Let’s see what 2024 brings…..are you taking bets…?
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 06:54:47 PM
Not the best first half of the season for Scarborough! Let’s see what 2024 brings…..are you taking bets…?
[that’s more like BRB]
Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.”

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 07:59:40 PM
Well the good news is I enjoyed watching my son's under 12s beat York at Clifton Park on Sunday..... Ah, I'll take small victories 🤣🤣🤣
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 04:52:18 PM
Well the good news is I enjoyed watching my son's under 12s beat York at Clifton Park on Sunday..... Ah, I'll take small victories 🤣🤣🤣
You see! feeling better already….
Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.”

Speccy

• Forum old hand
Reply #5 on: December 23, 2023, 10:13:49 AM

Surely, with Rochdale, Dronfield and Glossop in the league, all of whom I assume will return to their natural leagues, there wont be relegation for any of the 'Yorkshire ' clubs, or am I missing something ?

Rugby01

• One of the boys
Reply #6 on: December 23, 2023, 11:50:32 AM
Speccy,
As far as I know, their are no "natural" leagues at Level 6.

The top team in each of the 12 L6 leagues gets promoted to L5, the bottom 2 get relegated to L7.

All the remaining clubs, plus 12 relegated from L5 and 24 promoted from L7 are then allocated to the 12 leagues at L6 with a view to minimising the total distance travelled in each league.

I expect Glossop to be relegated to L7; Dronfield to  remain in N2E and I'm not sure what will happen to Rochdale.

Premier3

• Finding my feet
Reply #7 on: December 24, 2023, 12:43:06 PM
At the start of the season I did not see Selby and Brods at the top.
But they are and great for them.
Equally so did not see Moortown in the position they are.
Looking forward to the second half of the season.

Completely Neutral

• One of the boys
Reply #8 on: December 24, 2023, 06:10:33 PM
As a Goolie I never saw us in the top half let alone pushing for the top spots. I honestly thought we’d be too light weight in the pack and it would stave ourbacks of any ball. I was worried there might have been some cricket scores. I have to say the games against our local rivals in the league and cup have been a personal favourite, but also proving a lot of you on here wrong in the 1st few weeks made me smile a lot.

The pack have certainly had some hard games but we have been competitive, most games we seem to have 6 flankers on the pitch. Goes to show what fitness, togetherness and a team playing for each other can accomplish with excellent coaching who believe in them and let them express themselves.

Thanks for the warm welcome in your clubhouses this season and I look forward to trying to visit the rest of you in 2024.

Happy Christmas to you, your families  and your clubs. I hope 2024 is as kind to you as 2023 was to us Goolies.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 06:14:38 PM by Completely Neutral »

Red Rose Referee

• Finding my feet
Reply #9 on: January 05, 2024, 10:27:05 AM
I wonder if the end of January will be a good barometer as I'm not sure if many of you have noticed but after playing Crocs away on 6th Jan, Rochdale play Goole, Dronfield & Old Brods all at home on consecutive weekends.....

Add in to that equation that they also play Selby at home (who they beat away) on 17th Feb after a trip across to Scarbados....

Maybe a little too early to rule out the men from the west of the Pennines, TalkIsCheap?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 10:29:29 AM by Red Rose Referee »

kingofthewingers

• Finding my feet
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2024, 12:00:05 PM
That is a good spot RRR.

3 massive games at home, where they don't lose often. There could be a lot of movement coming this month as I would back Rochdale to win at least 2 of those 3 if not all of them.

Rob

• Finding my feet
Reply #11 on: January 05, 2024, 05:13:55 PM
It’s a blood-y wet olde hole to try get a result from too.

Dalesman

• Finding my feet
Reply #12 on: January 05, 2024, 06:55:17 PM
I wonder if the end of January will be a good barometer as I'm not sure if many of you have noticed but after playing Crocs away on 6th Jan, Rochdale play Goole, Dronfield & Old Brods all at home on consecutive weekends.....

Add in to that equation that they also play Selby at home (who they beat away) on 17th Feb after a trip across to Scarbados....

Maybe a little too early to rule out the men from the west of the Pennines, TalkIsCheap?

The Dronfield home fixture is the rearranged game from 2nd Dec that was off with a frozen pitch, and so they are the only team we haven't played so far.
We are not taking any games lightly but we have some players back now from injury. Crocs tomorrow are never easy to overcome on the postage stamp and we have been there quite a few times. Barring a couple of sides there has been no games that you could call comfortable victories.  We are really competing in this league not knowing what will become of us next season, there is no certainty, even if we won the league where we would be playing next season. It is a sort of strange situation what will become of us?  it depends largely I think on how other teams finish in the leagues.  Whatever the RFU dream up we will no doubt obey, we are a truly amateur grassroots club and our players have always strived to gain promotion whenever possible. The way the game is going we would find it difficult to keep expecting promotion as we could not hope to compete against teams paying players. We may do it for one season and then players are tempted away by the "Kings shilling" and to be fair, who can blame them. It wouldn't be too bad if teams were awarded compensation for bringing players through from a young age before they go onto hopefully bigger and better things. But that isn't going to happen, is it?

Happy New Year to you all, you will be most welcome at Moorgate Ave should you visit us this year.