$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Yorkshire One 2011

Author Topic: Yorkshire One 2011  (Read 4025 times)

King John

Yorkshire One 2011
« on: December 19, 2010, 07:05:46 PM »
With the current bad weather, many clubs will now have 4 games outstanding.
We still have, potentially, 6 free Saturdays until the end of season, as follows:
Feb 12 & 26 
March 19
April 2, 23 & 30
(These dates include Easter Saturday but do not allow for a playoff game)
Possibly there may be a 7th Saturday if RFU designate May 7 to be included.
However, the weather has been grim and we may have more in the New Year, which will lead to further postponements.

Consequently, I thought I ought to keep you informed of what could happen so that you can give me your thoughts and preferences
There are the following possibilities:
1)       Some outstanding games are played mid-week in April or even March for those clubs with floodlights.2)       The season is extended so that we finish the league programme in May (will need RFU approval for this)
3)       Priority is given to games which are likely to affect promotion and relegation and mid-table games are not played.
4)       The league programme is not finished and positions in the league are calculated based on results earlier in the season.

I will take it as read that most of you will want to avoid 4) above, but if any of you are willing to accept this option, then please let me know.

What I propose is as follows:
1)       towards end of January, I assess what games are outstanding and for first free Sat (Feb 12th) I try to make up 6 games where the opponents are geographically separated by some distance. (There can only be 6 games because Bridlington are involved in National Cup – so one team in Yorkshire 1 will not play that day)
2)       the same may have to happen on Feb 26th.
3)       Thus, the majority of games still outstanding will be between teams who are geographically close and so the possibility of playing these midweek in April will be the preferred option, with the aim of completing the league fixtures by the end of April.
4)       These proposals will mean that ALL games postponed on Nov 27 will not necessarily be played on Feb 12th and similarly for Dec4/Feb 26; Dec11/ Mar19 and Dec18/Apr2.

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
Re: Yorkshire One 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 07:29:15 AM »
Our league secretary, Alden Philips, is doing his best to get on top of the difficult situation. As it happens I think a  combination some of the geographically close games being played mid week and use of all the free Saturdays we should just about get the league programme completed without too much trouble. If the cold spell ends over Christmas that is!

As for next season it may be a thought for Alden Philips to be permitted to 'play' with the fixtures before they are sent to clubs. i.e. very long trips for Sept, Oct, march and april....
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:36:29 AM by backrowbandit »
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Offline His Lordship

• God
  • No need to kneel...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Twitter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 10:36:21 AM »
That's a good point BRB, I wonder if anyone actually looks at the journeys when planning the fixtures. I can guess the answer!

Offline Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 11:37:03 AM »
I'm sure I speak for the whole of Yorkshire in expressing the pride we feel, and the expectations of success we share, in knowing we are being represented by Brid in the national cup!  :-\
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Offline medici

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 04:44:56 PM »
haha yea...

Offline Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 05:04:26 PM »
Back to the question - there has to be a better way. (This is the league, as I recall, that suggested Ribb v Scarb as a midweek fixture last season was a viable proposition!)

Each club to nominate a Spoof champion, who will all meet up on 31st April in the car park of the nearest M1 service station to Leeds. First two out get relegated. Last one in gets promoted.

Any other ideas?

Offline cauliflower_ear

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 08:27:33 PM »
ideas have come about starting season even earlier more "summer rugby".

what does everyone else think?

Offline His Lordship

• God
  • No need to kneel...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Twitter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 08:40:14 PM »
I'd suggest a later finish to the season with a break, as starting earlier will cause problems with it being school holidays.

Offline cauliflower_ear

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 08:43:01 PM »
yeah your mabye right there steve. but still something needs to be done.

Offline Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 09:41:01 AM »
Let's not go down the summer rugby route. League went there for the sole reason that they couldn't compete with Union for spectator attraction and wanted to try and wean some to watch league when there wasn't any Union around.
It's a winter sport, and at our level folk will be wanting to play cricket in the summer.
Would any of this fixture crisis be happening if we were still a 12-club league?
Anyway, rejoice - today may be the official start of winter, but the days are now getting longer. 8)

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 09:50:43 AM »
Whats the panic, there are plenty of spare Saturdays before the end of April.....
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Offline Sneakyweasel

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 09:59:24 AM »
I am all in favour of having a break in December and January, allowing more rugby to be played in good conditions - would improve the standard no end and be far more entertaining to play in and watch. Mid winter break would avoid the majority of cancelled fixtures and allow players to have some weekends off in the middle of the season. 

Offline get that into yer!

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 11:29:30 AM »
allowing more rugby to be played in good conditions - would improve the standard no end and be far more entertaining to play in and watch.

agree totally katieweasel. now, sing us a song
*insert something profound here*

Offline Simon Ball (AKA rugbyfatboy)

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 10:01:41 AM »
Only problem I see is wages and other commitments of players such as returning home after the season finishes

Offline Sneakyweasel

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 11:46:11 AM »
Which will work to the advantage of teams with a higher proportion of local-based players, which is surely generally desireable.

Players who are away from home would either have to miss the extended portion of the season, or else return home during the winter break, and come back wehn the season resumes. Either way, I cant see that as a problem, and it is most certainly outweighed by the advantages of more rugby played on better surfaces in better conditions, allowing more running, more open play, more entertainment, and more fun for the players. 

Re the earlier point about rugby league turning to a summer season at the top levels to try to attract more spectators, this is very true, but I hardly think such considerations will affect us at Y1 level.