$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Are losing bonus points fair?

Are losing bonus points fair?

This is a discussion for the topic Are losing bonus points fair? on the board Regional Two (North & North East).

Author Topic: Are losing bonus points fair?  (Read 5244 times)

Burnsy

• A little respect please...
    • Twitter
on: December 21, 2010, 01:31:54 PM
Ok here goes, I'll make an attempt, hopefully it won't be me talking to myself for too long.

Bonus points were designed to make teams play for tries, but if a game finished 3-0 one team gains a bonus point for a non-entertaining game.

Any thoughts?
6 Nations Prediction League Winner Due To Botts Generosity 2011

The biggest downside of sudden unexpected death is being unable to delete your Internet search history.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 02:47:56 PM
Depends on your definition of 'entertaining'.
Some of the most 'entertaining' games I've ever seen have finished 3-0, 3-3, 6-0, 6-3 etc.
One of the worst games I've seen in recent times was the Super 14 game that ended something like 72-69. A horrible travesty of rugby.
There's so much more to our game than scoring tries.
Losing bonus points are a great innovation.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

FaxFlyer

• One of the boys
    • Halifax Rugby
Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 03:03:53 PM
All in favour of bonus points for tries scored as it should promote positive rugby but something doesn't sit right with a side coming away with at least a point having lost. I have seen sides losing by 4 and still going for a win in the dying seconds only to concede another try against the run of play and not come away with anything. Is this naive or positive play? Then i have seen the flip side with teams just sitting back hoping to hang on to a losing bonus point and being negative. I would do away with the losing bonus and let them all have a go at scoring 4 tries or more and you will see at the end of the season who plays the best rugby.

Burnsy

• Twitter
Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 03:25:19 PM
A good example of it not promoting positive play:
our last game against cleck, we're 9 points down, 5 points to play, penalty in clecks half we go for goal to get that losing point. We played in a negative style for a point.
6 Nations Prediction League Winner Due To Botts Generosity 2011

The biggest downside of sudden unexpected death is being unable to delete your Internet search history.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 05:23:55 PM
One point in the hand is worth four in the pint! I call that pragmatic. Could well prove to be a valuable point come April.....
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Simon Ball (AKA rugbyfatboy)

• Finding my feet
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 10:06:49 AM
I like the lossing bonus point.Whaat do not like is that all games now finish with someone huefing the ball out of the ground to end the game.

FaxFlyer

• One of the boys
    • Halifax Rugby
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 11:36:05 AM
If it was my team that had lost then i would feel a little aggrieved with them kicking it out to end the game but over the course of 80 mins+ you make your own luck. If my team had won i wouldn't give it a second thought but what we have now is teams in possession in the closing minutes happy with a win or a losing bonus point and just picking and driving from close in which is boring and negative. As a spectator it wouldn't exactly make it a great afternoon and as a coach it isn't the way i like to see the game being played.

Wheatley was your game against Cleck also a double header for the Yorkshire Cup? as a semi final spot was also at stake. I know the County Cup is taking a bashing at the moment

Richard Lowther

• One of the boys
    • National League Rugby Message Boards
Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 09:58:52 PM
I still haven't made my mind up over bonus points. I think they make a game interesting but can ruin a league - gone are the days when one loss in a tight league was a factor, as now bonus points can make up for that.

Unfortunelty, I don't have an answer to this dilemma.  ???

Another debate - Should bonus points go further - why not extra points for 8 tries or more or for scores leading at half time etc.
Remember Wakefield RFC
www.leaguerugby.co.uk

Simon Ball (AKA rugbyfatboy)

• Finding my feet
Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 10:06:25 AM
Would tht not kill the second half, as with 40+ points scored in first half teams would switch off in second.

Richard Lowther

• One of the boys
    • National League Rugby Message Boards
Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 07:44:15 PM
Would tht not kill the second half, as with 40+ points scored in first half teams would switch off in second.

Or knowing that the game was lost, would teams start to play adventurous rugby in the hope of getting something out of the game?
Remember Wakefield RFC
www.leaguerugby.co.uk

marky mark

• Legend
Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 11:28:18 AM
Stop the loosing bonus point it encourages negative boring play, too many teams kick for goal to end a game when last year they would have run sometimes scoring, reward valour and spirit not loosing, lets encourage positive play not negative, all for bonus points for trys scored but not for not trying to win and accepting defeat, Arise Sir Napolean youv'e won a box of biscuits for loosing at Waterloo, jolly well done, you couldnt make it up could you !
If at first you dont succeed give in your probably rubbish !