$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Good News

Good News

This is a discussion for the topic Good News on the board Yorkshire 3.

Author Topic: Good News  (Read 6028 times)

YorkshireExile

• A little respect please...
on: April 26, 2012, 10:08:14 AM

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/ryedale/9665862.Rugby_player_fighting_for_life_after_collapsing_on_pitch___updated/?ref=mr

Very encouraging news of recovery, best wishes to Sam, his family and his teammates
Winner of the Pundits League 2012-13
Runner-up 2014-2015

SkippyScrum

• Forum old hand
  • We came, we saw, we had tea & scones.
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 10:18:15 AM
Very good news indeed.  I was speaking to a person who was at the match and the individuals who attended to the lad were excellent. It was suggested by the person I chatted to, that de-fibs machines should be available at games and this is being investigated.

Idle Jim

• Forum old hand
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:52:35 AM
Well done to all those who looked after him and good luck to the lad himself.

Last year at our annual tag rugby competition in July, one of the Bramley lads, Vic (some of you may know him), collapsed and had to be rescucitated on the field. One of the Grovians players on the day is a paramedic and provided immediate first aid and, as luck would have it, some spectators flagged down a passing ambulance who de-fibbed him and got him going again.

Frightening to be there as a witness, but that spirit of teamwork, cooperation and care is what makes rugby great.

Cheers
Jim

FaxFlyer

• One of the boys
    • Halifax Rugby
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 03:21:31 PM
It is good to hear he is making a recovery it wasn't nice to be there at the time. Our 2nd team were playing Vandals 2 on the opposite pitch and one of our supporters was walking past and first there to start the CPR until the Ambulance Responder took over, it shook her up especially when he was moved to Huddersfield and then Leeds overnight. I think everyone at Halifax and Halifax Vandals send their best to the player, his family and Northallerton. We were looking into cost of the defibs last week and no matter how much they are is it worth the risk not to if you have someone who is trained as it will save lives.

T Rex

Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 03:47:38 PM
This is reminder that there really should be a medically trained person at every game.  I hope he recovers quickly and I truly am bowled over by how people responded
ATTITUDE - life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it

Cas RUFC

• Forum old hand
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 04:30:46 PM
Trex I strongly agree but some clubs just cannot provide that. We at garforth struggle financially so having to pay for a medically trained person at every game is not viable.

SkippyScrum

• Forum old hand
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 04:42:16 PM
Trex I strongly agree but some clubs just cannot provide that. We at garforth struggle financially so having to pay for a medically trained person at every game is not viable.

Agreed, but a possible option is to collate a list of members who are by profession medically trained and who can assist in such an emergency.

We have a number of parents on a Sunday who are either nurses, doctors etc along with members/coaches/volunteers who have attended a 1st aid course, perhaps the club could look at that as an option.

It's is reasuring knowing that there are individuals available pitchside who know what they are doing.

Cas RUFC

• Forum old hand
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 04:48:54 PM
Is being first aid trained the same as medically trained? To me medically trained sounds more advanced than first aid...What would the minimum requirement be?

Totally agree in regards it being reassuring

SkippyScrum

• Forum old hand
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 04:53:51 PM
Is being first aid trained the same as medically trained? To me medically trained sounds more advanced than first aid...What would the minimum requirement be?

Totally agree in regards it being reassuring

Not an expert on the subject, but I am sure that there are levels of 1st aid training which include CPR etc.  There should be someone on the forum who will have a better idea, perhaps your RFU RDO might know.

T Rex

Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 04:58:39 PM
As part of first aid training there can be a bolt-on defib course. I help with the 2nds at Thorne but I do worry that we are woefully inadequate as far as this goes.

As far as costs are concerned I think the RFU should be helping the struggling clubs like garforth. There must be an emergency fund that can tapped into.

I like skippyscrum's idea of getting a list together of suitably trained people at your own club.
ATTITUDE - life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it

Sail By

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 07:22:23 PM
I am first aid trained for work and hoped I would never have to use it, however I did at home on my 2 year old son. We found him drowned in next doors pond.
Luckily the training enabled me to save his life and he now plays rugby for Selby and North Yorshirerugby U13's. ;D ;D

Moral of the story is, everyone should do some first aid as you never know when you will need it!!

Cas RUFC

• Forum old hand
Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 07:31:52 PM
Jesus I bet that was a scary incident

Sail By

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 09:59:32 PM
Yep, but it shows how important it is to have some first aid knowledge.
When you look around rugby it seems as though junior teams have it sorted by having appointed first aides, but senior teams struggle.

Maybe worth having a players session on basic aid, while waiting for the ambulance?

Ionlyplayfortheshowers

• One of the boys
Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 11:11:25 PM
Incidents like this seem to be happening far too often for my liking!  Best of luck to the lad and to his family and teammates.

Adi

silverback

• Forum old hand
  • Riverside
Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 09:48:19 AM
All at Hessle wish the lad a speedy recovery