$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; barnsley worried !!!

barnsley worried !!!

This is a discussion for the topic barnsley worried !!! on the board Yorkshire 1.

Author Topic: barnsley worried !!!  (Read 12282 times)

hoodie

• A little respect please...
  • 4TOTTY
on: February 09, 2013, 06:08:28 PM
Getting tight at the bottom of Y1. Knott'la with back to back wins puts pressure on the south Yorkshire outfit. On today's performance Barnsley didn't use their heavy forwards to their full advantage and even with the rose tinted glasses wearing supporters shouting for every decision to go their way were lucky not to be romped by the under strengthened Wath side. With wath not having their Kicker playing decided not to take 3 pts for every penalty they had in the second half as the poor Barnsley were hanging by the short and curlys right to the final whistle. Apples tried his best with mazey runs to get into the wath half but with more school boy mistakes by barnsley ended up camped in their own half. Wath looked poor for their highly place in the league and Barnsley out of ideas.  Saying that ...it was a good local derby and loved the Barnsley supporters they have to be the best in the league ...for all the wrong reasons.
Confront the fear, feel the courage, join the battle.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 08:45:44 AM
As two go down, shouldn't it read "Brods worried" ? :P
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Grumpy1

• One of the boys
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 10:58:00 AM
Nice try Hoodie - wind up us Barns lads, but we know your game!
Seriously, there is a 3 for 2 going on at the bottom, and all to play for.
Either Knottla or Brods will lose ground next Sat- it might just be them, I think, and then
Barns have to play both...so wait and see.
We liked the back handed compliment about our spectators, by the way
and thought it was ironic that CW got red carded for offside- which was a constant feature of both sides
play during the game. Its hard to find fault with Wath - 3rd in the league but this was a poor performance
with a lot of bickering you might have noticed!
You'd also see our props off - that makes 6 damaged this season!
Next up is Driff then YMCA - but don't write us off yet! 

Pristine Shorts

Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 11:42:17 AM
If Brods play as well next week as they did against Ilkley yesterday, I can't see them going down. Their tackling was ferocious and on attack, their ball-retention was exemplary. Ilkley were deservedly 7.0 up at half-time, but at the final whistle were grateful for the draw, such was Brods' domination of the second half, possibly aided and abetted by playing with that horrendous slope.

Is there a less level playing field in Y1 ? 

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 12:12:31 PM
Is there a less level field ANYwhere?  :o
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Road runner

• Finding my feet
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 01:04:46 PM
Old stocksbridge pitch??

Chiron

• One of the boys
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 01:29:20 PM
Is there a less level field ANYwhere?  :o
You should have played against Leeds Chirons in the olden days! Sloping and with nice little undulations in parts that really helped the home team kicker!

bobtheguilder

• One of the boys
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 01:50:37 PM
Old Yorkshire Main pitch at Edlington took some beating, shaped like a WOK, always seemed to be running up hill, never noticed downhill runs. Don't know if still used. Halifax Vandals second pitch used to be a fair slope as well needed a handrail to get from bottom touch to top.

Chiron

• One of the boys
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 05:38:04 PM
Old Yorkshire Main pitch at Edlington took some beating, shaped like a WOK, always seemed to be running up hill, never noticed downhill runs. Don't know if still used. Halifax Vandals second pitch used to be a fair slope as well needed a handrail to get from bottom touch to top.
The worst ever must have been one that Wetherby used in the late 60s. It was in a village just off the A1, you changed in the gym at the borstal and had to drive to it. The pitch was in a U shaped valley, very small and uphill at both ends and up to the touchlines. I think they used this pitch before moving to a ground on the other side of the A1 that had probably the most ramshackle changing rooms I have ever been in.
Anyone old enough to remember it?

hoodie

• 4TOTTY
Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 07:58:08 PM
Edlington by far especially at half time when the locals ride on the pitch with their Honda 90's....quality !!!
Confront the fear, feel the courage, join the battle.

Brodsboys

• Finding my feet
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 11:19:06 AM
We understand we are in a relegation battle and we have to build on our recent performances. Our 4 games since Christmas have been against YMCA, Wath, Driffield and Ilkley which was unfortunate in one way but the good thing is our fixture list looks a little better until the end of the season. We have competed well against all those teams and in fact we should really have beaten Driff and Ilkley although silly mistakes are costing us. It would be a real shame if we were relegated as I believe if we stayed up we could really compete at the top end of the table next season, although a little recruitment of some experience in key areas may be required. Next Saturday v Knottingley will be an interesting game, we kept there 8 pretty quiet at our place so hopefully we can do that again. We need to now start picking up wins against the teams that are around us.

nazir4

• Forum old hand
Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 12:02:42 PM
Burley 2nds pitch is an adventure - you can't see the opposite crossbar from the bottom end!

Chiron

• One of the boys
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 12:06:50 PM
Having followed the distraction of sloping pitches I will get back to the main point of the thread. I agree with Grumpy1 Barnsley should not be written off yet. They gave Driffield, acknowledged by many as the best team in Yorkshire 1, a good run for their money at home and if luck goes their way in the game at Driffield, and they sneak a win, then there is all to play for.

Grumpy1

• One of the boys
Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 12:54:12 PM
Thanks Chiron - SS?
Worst pitch in my time was Vandals - sloping, just
below the summit of Everest and always freezing.
My 'otugh guy' son came to watch once and lasted all of ten minuites before he retreated
to his car and the warmth. Having said that, always a very warm welcome there!

Anyone got a prop to spare?

Chiron

• One of the boys
Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 04:49:37 PM
Thanks Chiron - SS?
Worst pitch in my time was Vandals - sloping, just
below the summit of Everest and always freezing.
My 'otugh guy' son came to watch once and lasted all of ten minuites before he retreated
to his car and the warmth. Having said that, always a very warm welcome there!

Anyone got a prop to spare?

You could be correct Grumpy 1!! I think that you may have suggested that I sign up.
To return to the worst pitch distraction I once played at Baildon on a pitch that was so muddy that it was like running through treacle, or what I imagine running through treacle would be like. One of our players lost a contact lens, we spent 10 minutes looking for it, didn't find it and carried on with the game much to his disgust!!