$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; New Scrum Laws, Introduction and Training Weds 28th August

New Scrum Laws, Introduction and Training Weds 28th August

This is a discussion for the topic New Scrum Laws, Introduction and Training Weds 28th August on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: New Scrum Laws, Introduction and Training Weds 28th August  (Read 2746 times)

pinkshirtedwhistler

• Legend
West Referees Society are holding their first meeting of the season on the above date at Keighley Rugby Club, and Chris Sharp our most senior referee will be holding a session on the new instructions at scrum engagement. We are making this evening available to all clubs, coaches, and indeed anyone interested in finding ways forward in getting these changes implemented smoothly.

If anyone is interested please PM me so I have an idea of how many of you want to come. details are as below:

Topic -             NEW Scrum Engagement Update (Part of West Yorks Refs Society Meeting)

Date –             Wed 28th August 2013

Time -              7.45pm- 9.00pm

Venue -            Keighley RUFC

http://www.rfu.com/thegame/laws/scrumtrial

The session will involve a short presentation by the Society and may involve some practical examples.

By the end of the session all referees and coaches will have:

·        Had the trial engagement sequence explained

·        Understood the rationale behind the changes

·        Discussed implications for referees; coaches; players and ‘the game’

·        Agreed a checklist for referees & coaches when working with the scrum –with a view to ensuring a safe and positive scrum

·        Identified a collective positive approach to the scrum

West Yorkshire Refs Society have agreed to open this session to all coaches and referees in the area and this is an ideal opportunity for Coaches and Referees at all ages and standards to attend.

No pre-registration is required, but it would help to have an idea of numbers from each club if possible.

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 11:46:03 AM
Many turn up?
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

pinkshirtedwhistler

• Legend
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 06:22:01 PM
Usual good show by the refs but very limited response from coaches.

Its quite frustrating, the coaches are invited to the Fed training day without any real luck as well.

I understand Dave Duxbury was helping Central refs do a practical session at West Park Leeds.

Good presentation by Chris Sharp at our meeting, which clarified a number of things for us refs, hopefully coaches and players will have done the same. I do wonder if the coaches will have understood how serious the IRB are about getting these methods enforced, and what will happen to players who fail to join the party in a game.

Sail By

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 06:43:22 PM
Nothing to do with coaches being prepared and dealt with this matter before 2 days before the start of the season.

A lot of this is available on the internet, with the Irish RFU being one of the best.

pinkshirtedwhistler

• Legend
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 07:46:51 PM
Sail By,  as referees we have been getting ready for this for a few months now.

Interaction with coaches and players would have eased the introduction, and also the understanding of these new applications.

It is a little unfortunate that clubs by and large have refused this chance to get together.

The RFU also view coaching and refereeing as integrated parts of the game, future training for coaches will have a refereeing content. Also coaching and refereeing comes under the same department at the RFU.

Your post leaves me with the feeling of frustration in that you think you can gather all you need off the internet, and that we are only dealing with this 2 days out from the start of the season.

I hope we don't get loads of posts complaining for example that refs are too harsh on scrum halfs when they get 10 minutes in the bin after three crooked feeds, we've had plenty of chance to get together before this.

Sail By

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 07:56:04 PM
PSW apologies if you thought that I would have thought you were only addressing this now.

What I was trying to get over was coaches have also been on this for over a month, using various society refs in training sessions.

Watched it for the first time yesterday and it went very well for the first 60 mins.

pinkshirtedwhistler

• Legend
Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 08:06:03 PM
I watched a game last Thursday and thought overall it went well.

There are some important parts of the implementation that do need to be understood by all parties, some of which we are not totally happy with. Even at this late stage clarifications are coming forward.

It would be an ideal scenario if we had all got together with the RFU and got the same message at the same time. That is how we should get consistency. It was interesting on Wednesday to hear that some refs and coaches are still balking against the new instructions, despite the firm stance from the IRB on how and why these measures will be used.

marky mark

• Legend
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 09:11:07 PM
Any refs coaches or players wanting some info on how scrums should be reffed you are all welcome to WPL for a brief session ( which we all know will go on for hrs ) this Thursday, all central refs should be aware of this already, see you there
If at first you dont succeed give in your probably rubbish !

pinkshirtedwhistler

• Legend
Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 09:52:53 PM
What time is the start Mark

ye olde 9

• A little respect please...
Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 10:10:31 PM
PSW 10 mins in bin, what are all the young 9s that know no different going to do ;)

pinkshirtedwhistler

• Legend
Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 07:01:25 AM
Learn very quickly!!!! :)

chester

Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 09:42:27 AM
Refs meet at 730 for a meeting then out on the pitch