$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Signings

Signings

This is a discussion for the topic Signings on the board Yorkshire 1.

Author Topic: Signings  (Read 25730 times)

Its only a game

Reply #45 on: May 20, 2014, 01:11:01 PM
http://www.drfc.co.uk/Library/EditorDownloads/Doncaster%20RFC%20and%20Doncaster%20Phoenix.pdf

I think this document sheds a bit more light on the proposed partnership between Knights and Phoenix.  It appears they are getting around the not paying players by the money actually coming from Knights coffers as 'bursaries'!!!  They are openly saying that Phoenix is no longer allowed to be referred to as 'amateur'!

So, I am guessing that Kettle is being employed by Knights as a future coach of the knights and to cut his teeth at Phoenix.  At the same time helping them to get within two leagues of Knights to allow a 'flow of players' to happen without issue.

Whilst I admire the brazenness of this, surely this is not in the spirit of the RFU's regulations. 

YorkshireExile

• A little respect please...
Reply #46 on: May 20, 2014, 01:29:21 PM
Obviously the very vocal £hoenix 'deniers' (you know who you are) are well out of the loop.

How long will it take to change the "£oncaster £hoenix R.U.F.C. stands as an independent amateur club" statement on their website?
Winner of the Pundits League 2012-13
Runner-up 2014-2015

The Mole

Reply #47 on: May 20, 2014, 01:50:59 PM
Without wishing to get involved in an extended debate which would almost certainly be a fruitless exercise I can confirm that the word 'Amateur' in this context is in reference to the former Yorkshire Division 5 club who carried the same name - see reference to 'pejorative connotations'.

YorkshireExile

Reply #48 on: May 20, 2014, 02:06:27 PM
Without wishing to get involved in an extended debate which would almost certainly be a fruitless exercise I can confirm that the word 'Amateur' in this context is in reference to the former Yorkshire Division 5 club who carried the same name - see reference to 'pejorative connotations'.

??? Do you mean there is another "Doncaster Phoenix" that you write about on your website, but it isn't the Doncaster Phoenix who finished third in Y1 in the season just finished?
Runner-up 2014-2015

The Mole

Reply #49 on: May 20, 2014, 02:16:50 PM

??? Do you mean there is another "Doncaster Phoenix" that you write about on your website, but it isn't the Doncaster Phoenix who finished third in Y1 in the season just finished?

Don't be pedantic, you know what I mean. 'this context' = the document linked previously in this thread.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #50 on: May 20, 2014, 02:22:22 PM
I think you'll find, YEx, that the former Y5 club has become the current Y1 club, courtesy of various promotions.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Rat

• One of the boys
  • facta non verba
Reply #51 on: May 20, 2014, 02:44:10 PM
My Dear Mole, there is no point in conversing with these people. They have no intention of trying to understand how Phoenix operates. If they want to believe that we are funded by the knights, they are going to think it. We know the truth and that is all that matters.
So we are controlled by the knights, have a wage bill of £100k, funded by the Knights and are purely there to blood future knights players. Also, when they think they have gleaned some poison, which they crow about, and subsequently realise how ridiculas it is, they then say it was just banter and have a bite. Pathetic. Think Poffle was right.
Look on the bright side, if what they say was true, we wont have to put up with them much longer.
Just because nobody complains it doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect

YorkshireExile

Reply #52 on: May 20, 2014, 02:47:51 PM
My Dear Mole, there is no point in conversing with these people. They have no intention of trying to understand how Phoenix operates. If they want to believe that we are funded by the knights, they are going to think it. We know the truth and that is all that matters.
So we are controlled by the knights, have a wage bill of £100k, funded by the Knights and are purely there to blood future knights players. Also, when they think they have gleaned some poison, which they crow about, and subsequently realise how ridiculas it is, they then say it was just banter and have a bite. Pathetic. Think Poffle was right.
Look on the bright side, if what they say was true, we wont have to put up with them much longer.

"Every effort should now be made to assist Doncaster Phoenix to rise up the leagues to get to within two leagues of the Knights allowing “free flow” of loan players between the two clubs."
Runner-up 2014-2015

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #53 on: May 20, 2014, 02:53:23 PM
I recall the "Hitler diaries" were also regarded as genuine. For a while....
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Burnsy

• Twitter
Reply #54 on: May 20, 2014, 03:01:50 PM
iv. To assist with the “vision” of young players, it may be best to avoid the term “amateurs” for Phoenix as it has a pejorative connotation.

Relating to the old club or the old ethos?
6 Nations Prediction League Winner Due To Botts Generosity 2011

The biggest downside of sudden unexpected death is being unable to delete your Internet search history.

Veritas

• Forum old hand
Reply #55 on: May 20, 2014, 03:03:51 PM
I recall the "Hitler diaries" were also regarded as genuine. For a while....

Suggest you look up Godwin's Law.

I think you have just proved it!
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't - you are right.

Its only a game

Reply #56 on: May 20, 2014, 03:13:09 PM
Rat, it is there in black and white matey, you are to be funded by the knights, and directly from the knights website!  You are using their facilities, they are giving you players in order to get to the point where you are two leagues below them.  They will then provide any decent players coming through from phoenix 'training bursaries' so they can train full time.

In no way am I criticising Phoenix here.  More the Knights and the way that document goes against the spirit of what rugby should be about.  Knights are basically taking over a junior 'amateur' club and using it for their own benefit.  What happens when the 'benefactors' mentioned in the above document remove their money?  Whilst there will be some good times for Phoenix over the next five years, will the club survive long term?  Will the Knights care or will they have gotten what they wanted out of the 'partnership'?

And Mole, what you have said is utter rubbish unless the current side in Yorkshire 1 are not the Doncaster Phoenix that the Knights are proposing a partnership with?!?!?  Especially given Peacey won the 'amateur coach of the year' in 2012/13!!!  http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/doncaster-free-press-sports-awards-2013-winners-1-5618605
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 03:15:30 PM by Its only a game »

The Vole

• Conference Call
Reply #57 on: May 20, 2014, 03:17:44 PM
Rat, it is there in black and white matey, you are to be funded by the knights, and directly from the knights website! 

Please can you tell me where in black and white it says we are to be funded by the Knights?

Its only a game

Reply #58 on: May 20, 2014, 03:31:03 PM
2 vi. For those who demonstrate a higher degree of potential, DRFC would be prepared to offer some “bursaries” (like college bursaries) which would be a basic financial payment allowing the player to trial at a full time level but not on a full-time contract.

Given you are using their facilities, whilst it says that there is a liability to Phoenix to fund some of the cost of playing there I would guess it is probably at a peppercorn rate and pretty much therefore funding your location and clearly willing to fund your playing staff!

The Mole

Reply #59 on: May 20, 2014, 03:34:44 PM
And Mole, what you have said is utter rubbish unless the current side in Yorkshire 1 are not the Doncaster Phoenix that the Knights are proposing a partnership with?!?!?  Especially given Peacey won the 'amateur coach of the year' in 2012/13!!!  http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/doncaster-free-press-sports-awards-2013-winners-1-5618605

You have misunderstood the point I was attempting to make. I referred to the following;

"iv. To assist with the “vision” of young players, it may be best to avoid the term “amateurs” for Phoenix as it has a pejorative connotation."

Which is in reference to the 'Doncaster Amateur' side which competed in Yorkshire 5 two seasons ago and created a degree of conflict at Castle Park. I know this as fact as I attended the original presentation of this document a fortnight ago.