$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Struggling Scarbs?

Struggling Scarbs?

This is a discussion for the topic Struggling Scarbs? on the board Yorkshire 1.

Author Topic: Struggling Scarbs?  (Read 6160 times)

get that into yer!

• Forum old hand
on: July 21, 2014, 03:23:38 PM
Scabs new captain appears to be a player who couldn't hold down a regular starting spot last year and is a 'utility man', does this signal a difficult season in store for the seasiders?

http://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/ratcliffe-honoured-as-he-lands-skipper-s-armband-1-6734629
*insert something profound here*

Mr C Gull

• Finding my feet
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 06:41:29 PM
Yes

NorthBayite

• One of the boys
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 07:30:41 PM
s you know we have been promised much in the past in the way of improvement without anything really happening.  We all live in hope once again

Rigel

Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 09:46:33 PM
All the best to the new Scarbs captain, and all other captains, new and old, for the coming season. It is indeed an honour and I'm sure they will all serve the position well.

get that into yer!

• Forum old hand
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 08:59:24 AM
agreed rigel, i'm sure the new scarbs captain will perform the role to the best of his ability, good luck to him.

Yes

interesting, mr c gull. i believe you're an avid follower of the men from silver royd, it doesn't sound like you hold out much hope for the forthcoming season?

*insert something profound here*

Ribbflagman

• A little respect please...
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:38:14 AM
Think we should all wait to hear comments from the maestro himself before putting Scarbs down.
Let's hear it from BRB!!

Its only a game

Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 10:30:35 AM
Let's not be quick to judge, it may be one of those cases where this lad has the potential but lacks the confidence while playing.  Perhaps the captaincy may well give him the confidence to step up to the plate.  Alternatively, it may well be sign of a desperate coach with no-one else to turn to!

porkies

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 11:50:53 AM
I think he's a stocky goal kicking 12 who has been one of the better Scarb players; think he was injured last season but imho he's a good player.

NorthBayite

• One of the boys
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 12:13:07 PM
All joking apart Tom is a fine all round player and will grow into the role without any trouble. A fine goal kicker and elusive runner I'm sure Scabs will have as good a set of backs as any this season.

Muted Response

• Calm on the surface, but paddling like crazy below
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 12:25:40 PM
I seem to remember Scarbs having rather a lot of captains last season, as the poisoned challis seemed to result in certain injury  :o
Was Tom a fill in captain at all last season? What has happened to the big lad who started as captain last year, but broke his arm? He seemed like a nice lad, if a bit unlucky  :-\

NorthBayite

• One of the boys
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 05:16:49 PM
Yes Phil Watson is his name, broke his arm against Bridlington early in the season and came back after Christmas but injured his knee late on and missed the Shield final. I have heard this afternoon that his knee is still giving him bother and it's unlikely he will be fit for the start of the new season.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 05:33:06 PM
Seems a shame the paper couldn't find a photo of the new Captain to go with the article - or has he decided on a low media profile?
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Oldandslow

Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 06:44:11 PM
Just had a few days In Scars at the cricket.

Just one thought in my playing days I played in some sides with the captain the outstanding player and it did not work, I also played under captains who were average players but had the respect of the rest of the team and as a result we had an outstanding season.

Good luck to Tom and Scars.

DAVE CAMPBELL The Boro Scribe

• One of the boys
  • nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 11:00:30 PM

TOM RATCLIFFE SCORES AGAINST YORK

Tom Ratcliffe has been an outstanding success following his arrival at Scarborough three seasons ago; he was a Rugby Union novice having played League at university. He has been a prolific try-scorer particularly playing in the centre and his goal-kicking last season saw him the club's leading points scorer. Only nearing the end of last season he missed a few games through injury. Tom's a whole hearted and committed lad and I'm sure he'll do a good job in the coming season. Oh yes and if you want more pictures and all the latest from Scarborough RUFC have a look on my on-line column at campbellrugby.com.

Have a great season everyone!

Craig Farrell

• Finding my feet
  • Faz-tastic
Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 11:36:16 PM
Ratty is a good lad and a good player who is well respected by his team mates. He'll do a good job for Scarbs this coming season. (so long as he stops blowing kisses at the photographers as he scores!)
"He's not as clever as he'd like to think, he's just ambitious with his arguing."