$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Seasons predictions

Seasons predictions

This is a discussion for the topic Seasons predictions on the board Yorkshire 4.

Author Topic: Seasons predictions  (Read 5375 times)

Lock at last!

• One of the boys
on: August 27, 2014, 10:55:14 AM
Lets put the cat amongst the pigeons and start a little resentment and banter between clubs early this season.
Where do you predict we will all finish in April? Pending the re-structure!

Champions- Leeds Corinthians- Improved over last two seasons and look very good in our last encounter.
2nd-Wetherby- Knocking on the door last couple of years they need to start well.
3rd-Halifax- Look sharp in pre season until we met the grovians juggernaut last week and came down to earth with a real bump!! Strenght in depth could be a problem.
4th-Ossett- Always rate Ossett, wont lose many at home.
5th-Skipton- re-building year with a new coach, it wont take Mark long to establish himself, and his grandma!
6th-Sheff Oaks- Impressive side last game of the season, think they will struggle during non term time getting full team together, when at full strenth could beat anyone.
7th-Mosborough- These boys are un predictable, they could easilly win the league, but im judging on last year.
8th-York RI- Tough to beat away but not great on the road, have the potentional to surprise everyone.
9th-Wensleydale- Think they will do ok, but may need a season to adjust, will be difficult to beat at home.
10-Vandals- At 10th pruely on they struggling for numbers, if they get their act together top half side.
Relegated-Hornsea- Traveling will be too much and i can see them going down this time. Propper rugby club, looking forward to our trip.
Relegated-Knaresborough- Think it will be a tough season for Knares, but always enjoy a trip there and are a good set.

These are just my opinion based on my very limited knowledge and im sure team will prove me wrong!
To be honest any of my top 8 could get promotion, thats why Y4 is such a good league.

Young Hollisman

• Finding my feet
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 02:05:52 PM
Good post Lock, finally good to get the season underway!!

Champions - Leeds Corinthians - Agree with Lock, vast improvement over the last few years and certainly have good strength in depth.
2nd - Skipton - good hard working side from what I hear and I am sure they will want to be in it come the business end!!
3rd - Wetherby - Always seem to have a very strong side when we play them and are always threatening to take the step up, be interesting to see how they fair. (Great set of lads in the bar after as well)
4th- Halifax - Always look very good, put in strong performances wouldn't surprise me if they finish higher
5th - Ossett - Consistent performances all season, solid both home and away, if they get the rub of the green could place higher. Always a great away day to have a good beer!!
6th - Hornsea - Very tough season for us last year again, losing a few player and having a very young side. think we can have a good season this year, great attitude from all the new guys and the younger squad members in preseason. Hoping we can turn this into results this year. Lock - We pride ourselves on our after match hospitality and entertainment, hope we can do the same agin this year ;)
7th - Vandals - Again agreeing with Lock, when they have numbers, like ourselves really, they can beat anyone think they will struggle with strength in depth!
8th - Sheffield Oaks - Always a tough place to travel for us, a postage stamp of a pitch has made them solid at home could place higher with more consistency.
9th- York RI - Very solid physical side, be interesting to know how they get on. Could be a wild card for a place higher up the league.
10th- Mosborough - Another unpredictable side, we had some great games against these guys last season. Strong team just need to play to their strengths.
Relegated - Wensleydale - Will be very difficult at home but like ourselves away form lets them down.
Relegated - Knaresborough - Great place to play, great bunch of lads. Think they will find it tough if they don't have strength in depth.

These are only my opinions, think it will be very tight again throughout the season and its very hard to predict.

Makes this league what it is, a very good league.

looking forward to lots of away day welcomes, see the new and old faces.

Here's to a great year for everyone!

Ossett Coach (no more)

• Legend
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 03:51:59 PM
I don't think we will see any team dominate. The last 4 seasons there have been 1 or 2 teams from the outset that were better than the rest. Think the champions could come from Ossett, werherby, Corinthians, skipton, fax or York.

Lock at last!

• One of the boys
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 04:09:37 PM
Come on Ossett coach... Put your neck on the line!

Ossett Coach (no more)

• Legend
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 04:24:18 PM
Skipton champs. Wetherby 2nd

ye olde 9

• A little respect please...
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 04:43:12 PM
Chaps, I appreciate the confidence but me and grandma have  year first to sort, plus best 9 in Y4 is still in pot ;D. Runaway champs next year! I think all the usual suspects we be in the mix, but I will have a fiver with someone on Wensleydale taking one of the promotion spots. Also OC don't be coy some your guys looked the real deal on Saturday.

Ossett Coach (no more)

• Legend
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 05:35:51 PM
All looks good early doors but you need a bit of luck with injuries and availability and we have been dealt a blow already. Lost our centre (Andy Webber) who has had an operation on his hand after an injury against Skipton on Saturday. Out for 12-14 weeks. A big loss for us but its not a one man game and Im sure we can fill the void but not ideal!!!

ye olde 9

Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 06:18:00 PM
Daft as it sounds luck with injury is key at this level at least yours as an excuse lost my 2 centres this week to bingley festival. It ruddy 15 minutes away.

old style prop

• anyone seen me tabs.
Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 01:50:23 AM
Champs - Wetherby. Backing ourselves this season which i think is the first time i have done since we came into Y4. Best atmosphere, player commitment, training numbers ect for several years and feels like a club on the up. Keeping hold of the lads how in the past would have walked into our 1st team, and now will have to fight for a spot, will be a key factor for us.
2nd - Halifax. sounds on the grapevine seem promising and always been competitive.
3rd - Corinthians. Expecting a close top 3/4 and going on last season LC's lack of bonus points to keep them out.
4th - Skipton. The drop down from 3 may well be just the tonic they need to give their youngsters a bit of confidence and start gelling into a very difficult team to beat.
5th - Osset. Would have had them in top 4 but if they have lost the cannon ball of a number 12 they had last season for the first half of the season i could see this costing them a couple of the close games.
6th - York RI. They had a dreadful injury run last season which masked how good they can be at full strength.
7th - Mossborough. Solid Y4 team last year and expect them to be the same this year.
8th - Wenslydale. When we played them last season in the cup they did not look very good and on that game would have put them at bottom. But this was an away cup match, mid season and i expect they had several missing. Grapevine from Y5 is predicting good things so will be swayed by that and go for a mid table finish.
9th - Shef Oaks. Good solid team that locked like they would improve would be my outside bet for a shock top 4 spot.
10th - Vandalls. Conceding cup match at start of seasons to local neighbors does not look good and if they get on wrong end of injury run could well be struggling.
11th -Knaresborough - They had a couple of good quality players back towards the end of last season so i would expect them to be stronger then their last season in Y4, but against this a few of the strong big lads that gave their pack that extra umpth when they were last in Y4 will be retired, so expecting them to find it tough. That said i would expect a few shock wins most likely against us. This Saturday's cup game should be a good guide.
12th - Hornsea - Going on last season they seemed to really struggle in getting anywhere near a competitive side together for the away games. If they repeat that away form i think it will be the wooden spoon for them, if they can turn that round then they have as good a chance as anyone.

I echo above views expect another very close league and injuries or lack of them will probable be the key. Have fun all.

SCRAMBLED

• Finding my feet
Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 08:14:54 AM
Representing Skipton so new to this league so led by Mark and his grandma!! I think a year consolidating our position and finding our feet is key - lots of inexperienced youngsters who'll benefit from a steady season. Looking forward to travelling to new clubs.

Jimmy85

• Forum old hand
Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 09:15:38 AM
Impossible to predict in this division, so many teams can be awesome one week and poor the next depending on availability, home/away form etc. Here's my guess though!!

Champions- Halifax. Could go all season unbeaten. Should be dominating every game with the players they've signed this season.
2nd - Skipton. Big difference between Y3 and Y4 in my opinion and I think they will have enough to go straight back up.
Wetherby. Been very close to promotion last few seasons and I think they might just miss out again but will be up there challenging.
Corinthians. Improving year on year, just not quite at the level of the three above yet.
Ossett. Tough to beat at home but away form will keep them out of promotion race.
Wenslydale. Don't know anything about them so I'll say mid-table for now!
Sheff Oaks. Improved last year, another steady mid-table side.
York RI. Same as Sheffield. Very capable side but injuries, away form etc will keep them mid-table.
Mosborough. Again, capable of beating anyone but they were very weak in the backs when we played them last game of last season and if they lost their number 6 to injury, they would struggle.
Relegated- Hornsea. By no means nailed on to go down. It will be a real dog-fight between the bottom 6 sides to avoid the drop. Just putting them here as they have by far the most travelling to do which can affect availability etc.
Relegated- Knaresborough. Again, no disrespect intended as I'm sure they will be capable of beating most teams in this division. I just feel the standard has improved since Knares were last in Y4.

As for Vandals - I'm just going with 'unknown' for now!! Very promising display away at Aldwinians last night with a severly depleated squad. A 5-try, 35-19 win against a much bigger side, lots of positives!!

Will probably be completly wrong, and looking forward to seeing how the season goes.

Good luck to everyone involved.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:04:42 AM by Jimmy85 »

Lock at last!

• One of the boys
Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 10:03:46 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence Jimmy, but i doubt we have the strenth in depth needed to get promoted from Y4.
I predict no-one will go undeated in Y4, too many good teams on their own patch.
We did look to have a really strong 1XV, unfortunatley we already have 4 of those 15 injured, we are lucky to have a strong second team or we would be in trouble already!!
Tough sport and league!!

Vandals10

• One of the boys
Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 10:20:43 AM
All season unbeaten is very ambitious and slightly unrealistic with how tight i think the league will be this season!

Lock at last!

• One of the boys
Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 10:48:20 AM
Are you changing your profile name Fax10!! ;) ;D ;D

Vandals Lad

• Finding my feet
Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 10:53:14 AM
based on the league last year i think its next to impossible to predict this league as i think most could beat anyone on the day but here goes this is my stab at it

1st Wetherby. Been very close to promotion last few seasons and I think this year will be the one they push on an promote, always a good battle with them and a good set of lads   
2nd Halifax - i would have backed as champions however with news of injuries and personel changes i think they may see some of the tighter results fall away from them (i dont see them dropping many points mind you) be good to see them in action this year though 
3rd Skipton - i dont know much about skipton but based on what ive read i would say they may just fall short of bouncing straight back up with news faces at the club and looking to rebuild
4th Corinthians - another team that i think will just miss out i think they will battle all the way but i just dont think they will topple some of the teams above them
5th Ossett - much the same as corinths will battle and pick up points at home but just dont think it will be enough for the top spots
6th Sheff Oaks. improved last year but dont think they have enough just yet to be more than a mid table side
7th York RI. - only reason i would say mid table is because they seem to be injury prone and dont seem to have strength in depth 
8th Mosborough. much the same as york if they have a couple of injuries they dont seem to be able to fill the gaps however if they can keep lads fit i would expect them to much higher up the table
9th Wenslydale. Don't know anything about them but with the trek  to there spot i expect them to pick up enoug home wins to keep out of relegation
10th Vandals - pains me to place down here however with the ongoing rebuilding at the club i think its an honest opinion - i think they should pick up enough points to stay up but will need to scrap for some of them points
Relegated- Hornsea. - purely based on away form they dont seem to pick up enough points at home to drop as many as they do away - be a shame to see them relegate though as its usually a good battle and some cracking banter in the bar
Relegated- Knaresborough. based on last time i saw them i dont think they have enough to compete in yorks 4 some good individuals but overall not strong enough