$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Wharfedale 2's

Wharfedale 2's

This is a discussion for the topic Wharfedale 2's on the board Merit Leagues.

Author Topic: Wharfedale 2's  (Read 9319 times)

Sycamore

• Legend
on: October 13, 2014, 11:25:50 AM
After seeing these guys a few time's it got me thinking on the past argument on whether some 2nd teams would be better placed in the official league structure. After seeing the game against Ilkley on Saturday I can see why they smash most teams every week, a very well drilled side who have the privilege of playing a number of 1st team players either returning from injury or battling their way into the respective 1st team. Credit to Ilkley they battled and never gave in but you always felt Wharfedale had a couple more gears to go up and could have scored either more.

You read it regularly in the Wharfedale reports that they really struggle for opposition with teams regularly not honoring fixtures and those that do are put to the sword 99% of the time.

Kronos,SS what are your thoughts on them? I know they can only play what is in front of them but I do feel they could give Yorks 2 a real good go. Top set of lads too this isn't a criticism of them by any means.

Ribbflagman

• A little respect please...
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 12:00:03 PM
It would be impossible for them to enter the league structure with the current team as they need almost 30 players for the first team squad to confer for injuries, and dual registered players ( of which there is usually 5 or 6) being recalled to Leeds. That would mean that at least half of their third team would need to play in their 2s and therefore not be as impressive. However the foresters from Saturday would probably be ok in N.East 1. We play them every year and rarely win so that is a good guide.

Sergeant Stomp

• Forum old hand
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 04:34:47 PM
My thoughts are similar to yours....
A very good side, well drilled, executed everything they did with aplomb! I also feel they could have found another gear if needs be. They have the luxury of being able to call on players who are well capable of a far higher level of rugby, players of that calibre make a huge difference. On Saturday they had both first team props in, I think one of them is the First Team Captain, not to mention two backs and I think the six has played a fair bit? Correct me if I'm wrong but won't all of those be picking up a few £££? The afore mentioned players would expect a spot in the First XV at Ilkley, Sheffield, Wheatley Hills, WPL etc. Ilkley battled well and did the best they could, that's all I can ask. I understand why they couldn't go into Y3, but they would get better games. They would probably win Y3? Maybe not in the first season but in the second you wouldn't back against it! The return fixture in January will be fun. Many years ago I overheard the then Wharfedale Captain saying he felt they would give Bath or Leicester a game at Wharfedale in winter, he's probably right.

Ribbflagman

Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 06:45:14 PM
All first team and second team get a match fee for training and playing. They can also claim travelling expenses. We have currently at least four North Ribb boys up there. One injured, one a mainstay first teamer and two on the fringes of first team. They undoubtedly benefit from a senior coaching set up, but, if not IN the firstXV and rarely getting more than 20 fixtures a season due to opposition call offs etc. surely those players would be better off staying at their clubs at Y1 level and getting really competitive games EVERY week. Just my thoughts and I am obviously biased as a loyal North Ribber.

Sycamore

• Legend
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 08:39:30 PM
I take it your referring to the Davidson siblings?Totally agree Ribb they would have been better staying with you for a few seasons then looking to move on.

I recall Wharfedale Rams in Yorks 5 a few seasons back (Wharfedales 4th team) doing ok. I just don't see any benefit with their 2xv literally smashing everyone in there path and walking their league every season.Its not like anyone is close to them.

Ribbflagman

Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 11:20:26 PM
You are correct in your surname observation. Actually I know quite a bit about them as they are my nephews!!

Sergeant Stomp

• Forum old hand
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 06:20:58 AM
I Think something else to bear in mind is the lack of fixtures they have. Our fullback used to be a Forester however his family moved towards Ilkley so he joined us, he recalls one season were sides just didn't travel to The Dale. I am certain that can't happen in the Yorkshire Leagues?

Its only a game

Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 02:24:10 PM
They obviously have the formula exactly right at Wharfedale in that the lads in the second team obviously feel valued enough to want to remain part of the club rather than going off looking for first team rugby.  How would Ilkley/Ribb feel if half their second team left to go seek out first team rugby in Yorkshire 3/4/5?  The fact that they aren't doing means you guys must be doing something right.

There is something addictive about winning when you play and obviously the wharfedale lads enjoy it even though they aren't guaranteed a game every week.  Playing first team rugby isn't the be all and end all as was discussed on another thread.  You guys should be championing them remaining at their club.  It wouldn't work if they joined the league because you could only transfer between the clubs a few times to cover injuries etc so you would end up with half the first team squad not playing any game if not selected for a first tema as they couldn't play for their second team in the league.

TheSmash

• One of the boys
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 02:39:19 PM
Looking forward to playing them this Saturday. Will be a real challenge but always good to play against teams such as the Foresters.

I have played them a few times before and not yet managed to get a victory. Fingers crossed.

If selected.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:43:35 PM by TheSmash »

Sycamore

• Legend
Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 06:04:22 PM
Hope you've got a strong side out.

Shirt filler

Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 11:58:05 PM
Why don't the foresters play 2nd teams of other Nat 1 sides?? and the likes of Rotherham, Doncaster and Carnegie? surely a better challenge for them

kronos47

Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 12:08:56 AM
We play the Foresters on the 6th of December. To be honest they are a great team, with some very good players.
Like most they have battered us but we felt in the last couple of years we were getting closer with a 10-10 draw at our place in atrocious conditions being the highlight for us.
If like everybody else we could get our best XV on the pitch regularly I feel we could give them a game however saying that we just got thumped by Sandal so maybe I overestimate our prowess.
They Wharfedale 2s havena flag man who is always genial but a tad condescending and when we drew the mask slipped and he was not happy about several aspects of the game, I just had to laugh as he has been in the winning side for so many years he had forgotten what losing or in our case a draw was like.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the Stars.
*Oscar Wilde 1895

Sycamore

• Legend
Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 07:50:02 AM
Why don't the foresters play 2nd teams of other Nat 1 sides?? and the likes of Rotherham, Doncaster and Carnegie? surely a better challenge for them

I don't hink Doncatser run one and not so sure on Rotherham.

Ribbflagman

Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 08:55:56 AM
Most of their players come from Carnegie, Rotherham and Doncaster. Otherwise they wouldn't get much game time!!!

The Mole

Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 08:57:01 AM
Not so long ago (well, thinking about it probably 10 years ago) there was a Northern Division 2nd team league with the likes of Wharfdale, Doncaster, Otley, Preston Grasshoppers, Kendal and Sedgley Park. It was a great competition but eventually went down the pan for numerous reasons - However I believe there is still a strong 2nd team structure on the dark side of the Pennines.