$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Ban on player payments

Ban on player payments

This is a discussion for the topic Ban on player payments on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: Ban on player payments  (Read 3523 times)

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
on: October 20, 2014, 09:08:05 PM
At the latest East Yorkshire meeting it was reported that from next season the RFU are banning any payment to players at level 6 or lower. Points will be deducted.

Interesting one. I agree with the concept but doubt it will be legally enforceable?

Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

old style prop

• anyone seen me tabs.
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 09:53:58 PM
I seem to remember not too far back when union was an amateur sport were player payments were against all the rules. It did not stop it then, people just had a few notes stuck in back pocket at a lower level or other means from arranging legitimate jobs for players at a higher level.

So in reality whilst i totally agree with the sentiment of it being professional at the top level and amateur at lower levels (like rugby league is) it is totally unenforceable. All it will achieve is too drive it back underground and the clubs that pay players now will all of a sudden be paying development officers, coaches etc who then just happen to play for the club for free.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 08:28:37 AM
Well if they can't get paid here, they can always take up grid iron...

http://www.rugbyonslaught.com/2014/10/seattle-seahawks-headcoach-pete-carroll.html
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

NoNothing

• Forum old hand
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 09:12:22 AM
Just as enforceable as any other bye law or condition of membership the RFU decide to introduce.

If clubs cannot/will not comply they have the option to form their own governing body, set the laws of the game and policy on player payments. All it would take is the representatives of breakaway clubs to meet (possibly in a hotel somewhere central like Huddersfield) and form their body.

I find it amusing that so many on here talk about payments as if it all happens at other clubs.

Someone must be doing it but no one seems to want to address the real issue - the value those clubs get from paying individuals.

If it is league position and the associated ego stroking of the committee and financial backers - that is their choice, no matter how short sighted it may be.

If a club were to choose to pay coaches and YDOs it could be a reasonable long term option - as long as those being paid actually contribute to the coaching and development of Youth within that club.

I like to think that any club making the choice to pay would be able to and be honest about it. As long as they comply with HMRC rules and do not have CASC status there should be no reason why they shouldn't - even if their opponents disapprove or are jealous.

If this bye law came in it would be further proof that the RFU has not moved on since 1895. Clubs should be free to determine their own development strategy as they choose

Waj: We'll blow something up.
Omar: What we gonna blow up Waj?
Waj: Internet.

heathen

• Forum old hand
  • DIGNI ESTE FAVORE
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 10:14:24 AM
If this is true,we will need a special section for comments/accusations on this site,just look at the fuss it causes now even though payments are allowed by the rfu.what ever anyones views are regards payment to players a ban is completely unenforceable.

Oldandslow

Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 10:47:31 AM
Will not work so I guess the RFU will do it.

I’m old enough to remember when some cricket leagues banned paying players.

Firstly although you could not pay players you could have overseas amateurs (which still happens in some leagues to this day).

Secondly you could employ players to work for the club, assistant grounds man was a very common way to pay a star player.

I’m sure clubs would either be very creative in creating jobs (dog poo clearer) or a put few £5 notes in  someone's shoe.

rugby_ninja

Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 10:56:29 AM
I’m sure clubs would either be very creative in creating jobs (dog poo clearer) or a put few £5 notes in  someone's shoe.

They could pay a whole team at Wath with that job!

silverback

• Forum old hand
  • Riverside
Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 08:19:17 AM
I Was at the meeting and what I got from what was  implied that if clubs choose to go down the route of paying players   then the RFU would be entitled to refuse any funding the club may or may not wish to apply for   as if they can pay players they do not need funding for projects   payments to players should be spent on Facilty's and so forth

old style prop

• anyone seen me tabs.
Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 09:24:34 AM
silverback - think most will agree with that sentiment. Be interesting if the RFU stuck to the principle and pulled all funding and subsidies from the premiership clubs, be great to see that money cascade down to the grass roots instead.