$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; 10 Years Ago

Author Topic: 10 Years Ago  (Read 5926 times)

Offline Breakwell15

• Forum old hand
  • West Leeds 15
    • View Profile
10 Years Ago
« on: November 24, 2014, 05:07:49 PM »
Like to look back over previous seasons I thought I would look back on all clubs and see where they were 10 years ago (2004/2005 Season). Wondered if you have any thoughts on your club, to why they have risen, fallen or sustained league status?

Bradford Salem       Finished 2nd in Y2
West Park Leeds      Finished 4th in Y2
Barnsley                 Finished Top of Y3
West Leeds             Finished 2nd in Y3
Knottingley             Finished 10th in Y2
Goole                   Finished 7th in Y1 (Second Biggest 'Fallers')
Old Rishworthians  Finished 4th in Y4 North West (Joint Biggest 'Risers')
Leodiensian           Finished 7th in Y2
Keighley               Finished 6th in Y1 (Biggest 'Fallers')
Roundhegians       Finished 4th in Y3
Moortown            Finished 7th in Y3
Ripon                  Finished 9th in Y2
Leeds M&             Not in Leagues
Sheffield Medicals   Finished 4th in Y4 South West (Joint Biggest 'Risers')

Offline Lost Welshman

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Years Ago
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 05:13:55 PM »
An intresting reflection, I'm sure your employer loved your productivity today!!  ;)

Offline Breakwell15

• Forum old hand
  • West Leeds 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:19:54 PM »
Seeing as my Employer is a member of this forum, I maybe should have waited until after work to post it...

Its only a game

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 05:30:59 PM »
How can two sides who were in yorks 4 be bigger risers than a side who has got to yorks 2 from nowhere?  I.e. Had to start in y5.

Offline Chiron

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 06:10:24 PM »
I put this article on my blog www.dropkickbooks.co.uk in 2011. A few changes since and quite a lot in the last 44 years!

1969/70 was my first season at Barnsley and when I recently looked at the fixture list for that season I was struck by how things have changed in rugby union over the past 40 years. Exactly why some clubs have disappeared, while others have improved their status and still another group has declined is hard to explain. Was the reason the impact of leagues, professionalism or the increasing range of leisure activities available? Notably, rugby union has suffered a decline in playing numbers. Clubs that once organised four or five teams now only organise two or three. Players can now move freely between the two codes but that hasn’t had a significant impact on player numbers.
The reality is that the reasons for the changes are complex. There isn’t just one reason for clubs disappearing, improving their status or declining. I have listed below the clubs that were in the 1969/70 Barnsley fixture list, the name they go by today and, if they are still in existence, which league they are in.

The situation as it was in 2011/12

HEATH OLD BOYS, HEATH RUFC, NORTH ONE EAST

YORKSHIRE COPPER WORKS, NO LONGER IN EXISTENCE

ROTHERHAM, ROTHERHAM TITANS, THE CHAMPIONSHIP

BRAMLEY BARBARIANS, BRAMLEY PHOENIX, YORKSHIRE THREE

RODILLIANS, STANLEY RODILLIANS, YORKSHIRE FOUR

STOCKSBRIDGE, YORKSHIRE FIVE

LEEDS CHIRONS, NO LONGER IN EXISTENCE

SHEFFIELD TIGERS, NATIONAL LEAGUE 2 (NORTH)

WEST PARK OLD BOYS, WEST PARK LEEDS, YORKSHIRE TWO

BEVERLEY, NATIONAL LEAGUE 3 (NORTH)

OLD WATHONIANS, WATH UPON DEARNE, YORKSHIRE TWO

YARNBURY, YORKSHIRE TWO

HUDDERSFIELD YMCA, YORKSHIRE ONE

CLECKHEATON, NORTH ONE EAST

OLD RISHWORTHIANS, YORKSHIRE THREE

LEEDS CORINTHIANS, YORKSHIRE FOUR

BAILDON, YORKSHIRE THREE

LEEDS ENGINEERS, NO LONGER IN EXISTENCE

BURLEY, YORKSHIRE THREE

HALIFAX VANDALS, YORKSHIRE THREE

OLD GRAMMARIANS, NO LONGER IN EXISTENCE

EAST REFORD, MIDLAND FOUR EAST (NORTH)

YORK, YORKSHIRE ONE

The clubs still in existence and their current name is in bold

Barnsley currently play in Yorkshire Two and in 2011/12 only have fixtures against three of the twenty three clubs listed above.

Offline Completely Neutral

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 06:22:53 PM »
Interesting artical. I'd have thought some of the reasons some teams have fallen down the league coinsides with some clubs 'new found wealth' and certain clubs rightly not following suit.
I'd rather watch my club with a bunch of home grown players in Yorkshire 5 than watch them in the Northern laugues with a bunch of mercenarys.
Thankfully I watch my club in Yorkshire 2 with 100% home grown players.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 06:26:41 PM by Completely Neutral »

Offline Breakwell15

• Forum old hand
  • West Leeds 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 07:49:16 PM »
Good plug Chiron...

and apologies IOAG I just used the example from the clubs who were there 10 years ago. When did Leeds M&D enter the leagues?

Offline intense1

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 08:10:27 PM »
LMD entered the league a year before my time so it'd be 08/09 I believe. Entered Yorks 5 and went up via a playoff with garforth...although lots went up due to a restructure I think...

Offline hoodie

• A little respect please...
  • 4TOTTY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 08:16:17 PM »
Interesting artical. I'd have thought some of the reasons some teams have fallen down the league coinsides with some clubs 'new found wealth' and certain clubs rightly not following suit.
I'd rather watch my club with a bunch of home grown players in Yorkshire 5 than watch them in the Northern laugues with a bunch of mercenarys.
Thankfully I watch my club in Yorkshire 2 with 100% home grown players.

Well said completely neutral ... totally agree with you .
I wonder if teams in Y1 could boast a claim ...begs the question if you need to recruit from abroad to progress up the league ... obviously not in Scarboroughs case
Confront the fear, feel the courage, join the battle.

Offline BEZ

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 09:10:47 PM »
Seeing as my Employer is a member of this forum, I maybe should have waited until after work to post it...

Hahahah

Offline Richard Lowther

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
    • National League Rugby Message Boards
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 09:54:30 PM »
How can two sides who were in yorks 4 be bigger risers than a side who has got to yorks 2 from nowhere?  I.e. Had to start in y5.

Not all teams started in Yorkshire 5. When the leagues were formed back in 1987 teams were placed into a league based upon their perceived strength based upon previous results etc. Therefore a team could have been placed in Yorkshire 2 and never been promoted or relegated and therefore remained in Y2 all those years.

However another team could have risen from Yorkshire 5 upwards or fallen from above - the higher they rose or the further they fell gives you the best risers and biggest fallers.
Remember Wakefield RFC
www.leaguerugby.co.uk

Offline Hatter

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 10:05:14 PM »
I would say that the reason for falling numbers is down to the playstation before that people would have to entertain themselves through sport!! I often play play World Cup rugby 2011, and I must say I'm a better kicker on that than any 10 in the world, if I didn't have to think up excuses to get away from the wife I would just play on that and get a decent nights sleep without every joint, shoulder, back, neck, leg and foot hurting!!

(This is all wensleydale I love it)

Offline WL XIII

• "Not even noon shadows pass through Death Valley"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 10:42:12 PM »
If he's not mad enough when he see's your post, I'd like to inform him that in last 10 years his club have risen 6 league places.
Unfortunately they have dropped 11places since September  :o
It's not just people with triskaidekaphobia that should fear Outside Centres. Everyone should.

Occasus Leodis sumus creber

Offline Shirt filler

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 12:06:09 AM »

Not all teams started in Yorkshire 5. When the leagues were formed back in 1987 teams were placed into a league based upon their perceived strength based upon previous results etc. Therefore a team could have been placed in Yorkshire 2 and never been promoted or relegated and therefore remained in Y2 all those years.

However another team could have risen from Yorkshire 5 upwards or fallen from above - the higher they rose or the further they fell gives you the best risers and biggest fallers.

There was also a Yorkshire 6 for a couple of years too

Offline Insider

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
I played for Goole back when we was in Yorkshire one 10 years ago and the slip down the ranks in my eyes was pulling our mini and junior section quite a few years previous to this (other may disagree) which didnt help Goole at all as there was a few people who retired and not many young ones coming through. Goole quickly sorted the junior section and is really making a huge difference to the club.
Look good, feel good, play good