$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; 10 Years Ago

10 Years Ago

This is a discussion for the topic 10 Years Ago on the board Yorkshire 2 .

Author Topic: 10 Years Ago  (Read 10910 times)

Its only a game

Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 01:42:53 PM
How can two sides who were in yorks 4 be bigger risers than a side who has got to yorks 2 from nowhere?  I.e. Had to start in y5.

Not all teams started in Yorkshire 5. When the leagues were formed back in 1987 teams were placed into a league based upon their perceived strength based upon previous results etc. Therefore a team could have been placed in Yorkshire 2 and never been promoted or relegated and therefore remained in Y2 all those years.

However another team could have risen from Yorkshire 5 upwards or fallen from above - the higher they rose or the further they fell gives you the best risers and biggest fallers.

You misunderstand me man from Wakefield.  If they weren't in the leagues or in existence prior to the leagues forming then by virtue they had to start at the bottom.  Given LMD weren't in existence 10 years ago then clearly the have risen the most.

Breakwell15

• Forum old hand
  • West Leeds 15
Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 02:03:15 PM
Such a Pedantic Poster haha. Leeds M&D win, my bad.

Richard Lowther

• One of the boys
    • National League Rugby Message Boards
Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 06:08:06 PM
How can two sides who were in yorks 4 be bigger risers than a side who has got to yorks 2 from nowhere?  I.e. Had to start in y5.

Not all teams started in Yorkshire 5. When the leagues were formed back in 1987 teams were placed into a league based upon their perceived strength based upon previous results etc. Therefore a team could have been placed in Yorkshire 2 and never been promoted or relegated and therefore remained in Y2 all those years.

However another team could have risen from Yorkshire 5 upwards or fallen from above - the higher they rose or the further they fell gives you the best risers and biggest fallers.

You misunderstand me man from Wakefield.  If they weren't in the leagues or in existence prior to the leagues forming then by virtue they had to start at the bottom.  Given LMD weren't in existence 10 years ago then clearly the have risen the most.

Still no.  Leeds Medics have been around for years and pre-date the leagues.  Likewise some other clubs.  What you don't understand is that they could have been at the level they now play in those pre-league days. For example their fixture list could have included teams in the current Y2 plus other teams in higher leagues and beat those clubs. But because of the way the leagues operate they couldn't just come into Y2, they had to start at the bottom Y5 (or Y6) and then in effect play below their standard before they got back to their normal standard. Therefore they haven't risen the most, they have just equalised out their position but now within the remit of the leagues.
Remember Wakefield RFC
www.leaguerugby.co.uk

Ribbflagman

• A little respect please...
Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 04:12:58 PM
Actually they have risen the most for whatever reason . Maybe we could see who has fallen the most. Thorne would be candidates  as would be Middlesborough and definitely Halifax. Correct me if I am wrong but I think Thonensians started in the same league as Wharfedale and Rotherham. The old N. east 1.
No disrespect meant but at least Thorne are still a club now back on the up not like Wakefield, Bradford, Headingley and Roundhay that have gone out of existence.

T Rex

Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 06:16:44 PM
I should know this already as Thornensians are my club but didn't we fall rather dramatically and I am sure not all of it was straight forward relegation. We are on the way back though and are looking quite strong in Y3
ATTITUDE - life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it

Radio Gnome

• Legend
  • I, for one, like Roman numerals.
Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 08:07:33 PM
Thornensians were in NE 1 when it all started in 1987 along with Rotherham. Wharfedale were supposed to be in NE 1 but I think they got kicked up into the division above just before it all started. I think Sandal started in NE1 too.

Thornensians were still in NE1 or NE2 in 1997/8 when I packed in and went into free fall after that - like TRex says I think there was a drop of a few divisions rather than year on year relegation.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 10:09:42 AM by Radio Gnome »
Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
That I got no cerebellum -  Ramones 1977

PercyR

• One of the boys
Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 08:39:12 PM
League reorganisation also gave some clubs a leg up and held others back depending on whether you were in the right place at the right time.

Pock won Yorkshire 1 in 1996, then won two more leagues in the next four years. We were never relegated, but reorganisation meant in 2000 we were in....Yorkshire 1.

Looks like the reorganisation proposed for 2016 will have a similar effect for some clubs.

Rugby01

• One of the boys
Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 08:57:33 PM
Not 100% sure, but think this is how leagues were immediately after the Big Bang

1987 - 1988

Level 1 - Currently Premiership
Leicester
Wasps
Harlequins
Bath
Gloucester
Orrell
Moseley
Nottingham
Bristol
Waterloo
Coventry
Sale

Level 2 - Currently Championship
Rosslyn Park
Liverpool St Helens
Saracens
Headingley
Bedford
Richmond
London Scottish
London Irish
London Welsh
Gosforth
Blackheath
Northampton

Level 3 - Currently National 1
Wakefield
West Hartlepool
Plymouth Albion
Sheffield
Vale of Lune
Fylde
Metropolitan Police
Maidstone
Exeter
Nuneaton
Morley
Birmingham

Level 4 - Currently N3N/M/LSE/SW : Think it was originally 2 Leagues N+M / LSE + SW
Rugby
Durham
Roundhay
Preston Grasshoppers
Northern
Broughton Park
Stourbridge
Lichfield
Birkenhead Park
Derby
Solihull

Level  5 Currently N3N / M / LSE / SW - Same as original?
Winnington Park
Kendal
West Park
Otley
Harrogate
Tynedale
Wigton
Hartlepool Rovers
Hull & East Riding
Widnes
Middlesbrough

Level 6  Currently N1E + N1W + 6 others : Think it was 4 leagues N / M / LSE / SW
Aspatria
Halifax
Bradford & Bingley
Sandal
Alnwick
Lymm
New Brighton
Huddersfield
Davenport
Manchester
Wilmslow

Level 7 - Currently Yorkshire 1 - Think it was 1 of 8 Regional leagues NE2 / NW2
Wharfedale
Rotherham
Gateshead Fell
Old Crossleyans
Morpeth
Thornensians
Old Brodleians
Westoe
Keighley
Blaydon
Ripon

Level 8 -currently Y2 - Again looks like a North East type league

Novocastrians
Stockton
Pontefract
Old Hymerians
Beverley
Selby
York
Ryton
Pocklington
Newcastle University
Barnsley

Level 9 -currently Y3 - Looks like original Y1
Roundhegians
Bramley
Hemsworth
West Park Bramhope
Driffield
Goole
Castleford
Cleckheaton
Moortown
York RI
Scarborough

Level 10 -Currently Y4 : Looks like original Y2

North Ribblesdale
Huddersfield YMCA
Doncaster
Wheatley Hills
Wath on Dearne
Malton and Norton
Ilkley
Sheffield Tigers
Ionians
Old Otliensisans
Leodiensians

Level 11 - Currently Y5 : Looks like the original Y3
Bridlington
Marist
Baildon
Knottingley
Heath
Leeds CSSA
Airebronians
Yarnbury
Rodillians
Bradford Salem
Northallerton

Level 12 - Now no such level in North
Wibsey
Old Modernians
Dinnington
Hessle
West Leeds
Hullensians
Wetherby
Leeds YMCA
Yorkshire CW
Burley
Skipton

Level 13 - Now no such level in North
Halifax Vandals
Old Rishworthians
Phoenix Park
Leeds Corinthians
Ossett
BP Chemicals
Yorkshire Main
Hornsea
Rowntrees
Withernsea
Knaresborough

Level 14 Now no such level in North
Sheffield Oaks
Bridon
De La Salle
Sheffield Steels
Stocksbridge
Granville College
Sheffield Medicals
Adwick
Markham
Maltby OB
Armthorpe R

Radio Gnome

• Legend
Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 10:37:19 AM

Level 14 Now no such level in North
Sheffield Oaks
Bridon
De La Salle
Sheffield Steels
Stocksbridge
Granville College
Sheffield Medicals
Adwick
Markham
Maltby OB
Armthorpe R

When I first started and was in Thorne's 4th and 5th team (I know hard to believe isn't it?) we played games against most of these (and won most! :))

If Bridon count as Doncaster Phoenix then they have progressed more than anyone in that division most of whom have disappeared - along with Thorne's 4 and 5th team and 3rds for that matter. De La Salle had a nice club house in lovely Victorian/Georgian House in some parkland - don't know where it was other than in Sheffield somewhere - Abbeydale or around there?

Looking further up the list it's hard to believe how much Thornensians managed to "punch above their weight" in those early days of the Leagues - population of 8,000 maximum and a RL club down the road in Moorends. In those days we were still an auto qualifier in the Yorkshire Cup.

Old Crossleyans don't seem to have moved at all in over 25 years.

The list makes interesting reading especially for us old 'uns who were around/playing when it all started.

From my point of view the downside of League Rugby was the loss of the fixtures in NLD (Mellish, Paviours, Notts Moderns, Amber Valley, Mansfield etc) which always meant a stop off at the Turnpike in Bawtry - ooooh my skull!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:20:06 PM by Radio Gnome »

Radio Gnome

• Legend
Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 11:58:16 AM
msf..

The Vole

• Conference Call
Reply #25 on: December 02, 2014, 12:09:32 PM
Doncaster I believe are the 'most promoted club' - or at least that is what they always say on their website, etc!

Radio Gnome

• Legend
Reply #26 on: December 02, 2014, 12:24:40 PM
Doncaster I believe are the 'most promoted club' - or at least that is what they always say on their website, etc!

If self promotion counts then yes they must be. ;)

bind up

• Forum old hand
Reply #27 on: December 02, 2014, 12:49:37 PM
Were Bridon (Level 14) not the starting point of Doncaster Phoenix?

The Mole

Reply #28 on: December 02, 2014, 01:42:30 PM
Yes they were.

Radio Gnome

• Legend
Reply #29 on: December 02, 2014, 01:53:05 PM
Money from old rope!!!

Badoom Tissss!

8)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 02:02:34 PM by Radio Gnome »