$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; 10 Years Ago

10 Years Ago

This is a discussion for the topic 10 Years Ago on the board Yorkshire 2 .

Author Topic: 10 Years Ago  (Read 10900 times)

hoodie

• A little respect please...
  • 4TOTTY
Reply #30 on: December 02, 2014, 02:56:05 PM
A really interesting read rugby01 ...by far the best post on the forum for months ...especially for the now spectating generation.
A few ' I can remember them, and WHO !!!'

...I wonder how the leagues will look in another 10 or so years.

Well done Rugby01
Confront the fear, feel the courage, join the battle.

Shirt filler

Reply #31 on: December 03, 2014, 12:41:48 AM
Unbelievable to see that league rugby went down to level 14 in Yorkshire with full leagues especially when teams where still able to put out upto 5 sides too

kronos47

Reply #32 on: December 05, 2014, 09:16:34 PM

Level 14 Now no such level in North
Sheffield Oaks
Bridon
De La Salle
Sheffield Steels
Stocksbridge
Granville College
Sheffield Medicals
Adwick
Markham
Maltby OB
Armthorpe R

When I first started and was in Thorne's 4th and 5th team (I know hard to believe isn't it?) we played games against most of these (and won most! :))

If Bridon count as Doncaster Phoenix then they have progressed more than anyone in that division most of whom have disappeared - along with Thorne's 4 and 5th team and 3rds for that matter. De La Salle had a nice club house in lovely Victorian/Georgian House in some parkland - don't know where it was other than in Sheffield somewhere - Abbeydale or around there?

Looking further up the list it's hard to believe how much Thornensians managed to "punch above their weight" in those early days of the Leagues - population of 8,000 maximum and a RL club down the road in Moorends. In those days we were still an auto qualifier in the Yorkshire Cup.

Old Crossleyans don't seem to have moved at all in over 25 years.

The list makes interesting reading especially for us old 'uns who were around/playing when it all started.

From my point of view the downside of League Rugby was the loss of the fixtures in NLD (Mellish, Paviours, Notts Moderns, Amber Valley, Mansfield etc) which always meant a stop off at the Turnpike in Bawtry - ooooh my skull!
De la salle used to use the bar at was the beau chief hall hotel, in beau chief hall, just round the corner from Abbeydale. The pitch had a huge slope from touch line to touch line.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the Stars.
*Oscar Wilde 1895