$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Yorkshire (Leeds) Carnegie

Yorkshire (Leeds) Carnegie

This is a discussion for the topic Yorkshire (Leeds) Carnegie on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: Yorkshire (Leeds) Carnegie  (Read 29297 times)

nazir4

• Forum old hand
Reply #45 on: March 31, 2015, 07:35:10 PM
"Sir Kev" may be a little disappointed with the crowds, methinks. I think he's well within in his rights to top up his pension fund while he can before the new annual contribution cap comes into play. (BRB will be able to explain this.)

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #46 on: March 31, 2015, 08:25:37 PM
The annual allowance reduced from £255,000 to £50,000 from the start of the 2011/12 tax year and has recently been reduced again, to £40,000 from the start of the 2014/15 tax year.... the price of a good family ski holiday!
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #47 on: March 31, 2015, 10:37:28 PM
That groundsman bloke is on Look North. He could do with some elocution lessons!

Ribbflagman

Reply #48 on: April 01, 2015, 12:26:12 AM
I didn't realise that skiing in the Cairmgorms was so expensive. A pity we don't get more snow in Settle we then would have much greater resources to invest in players????????????

WL XIII

• "Not even noon shadows pass through Death Valley"
Reply #49 on: April 01, 2015, 08:30:55 AM
I heard YC are having another name change to Leeds Rhinos.

Sinfield will be really good for YC, if nothing else he doesn't miss at goal. He might even help with the appalling crowd. Great role model. He might even help attract talented younger RL players.
It's not just people with triskaidekaphobia that should fear Outside Centres. Everyone should.

Occasus Leodis sumus creber

Sycamore

• Legend
Reply #50 on: April 01, 2015, 10:15:34 AM
Hetherington perhaps shifting his focus to Rugby Union? I do believe Rugby League in this country is dying.......

Pomfresian

• Legend
  • duplex crucis
Reply #51 on: April 01, 2015, 04:29:45 PM
Hetherington perhaps shifting his focus to Rugby Union? I do believe Rugby League in this country is dying.......

I dont quite see it like you Sycamore! Hetherington will be laughing his head off with this bit of business dont you think? What do you think 18 months of his contract will be worth? Sinfield has done very well to last this long in rugby league but would not have lasted beyond this season in my opinion so the 18 months that was left on his contract has been shuffled sidewards to Carnegie.

What happened to the world class players that Carnegie were going to attract when Sir Ian took up his title?

If Rugby union wants to bring through rugby union players then this is a backward step, if rugby union want to attract good young rugby league players then this is a positive step; one that needs an open forum so that players dont leave rugby union at 14 years of age for the sparkling lights of scholarships within rugby league. They need to be told that there is an alternative!

Reading WL XIII post, I think he agrees but I dont see Sinfield being the difference between championship and premiership rugby for them. One thing is for sure though, Carnegie do need to tap into the junior talent what is out here playing either code in Yorkshire to be successful and if this is the first step in their master plan to do it? then fair play...

pinkshirtedwhistler

• Legend
Reply #52 on: April 02, 2015, 12:53:35 PM
Pom,

Carnegie.......Master Plan?........I didn't realise you had such a benevolent nature!

Sail By

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #53 on: April 02, 2015, 01:24:48 PM
Pom, Sinfield is world class and not only will be a draw but he will hopefully keep some of the young Carnegie lads at the club.

As for your comments regarding moving into the rugby league arena, I agree with you.
At Leeds it is currently one way where you see some RU academy lads going to train with the RL academy but not the other way round.
Will this now change? Personally I hope so.

The RL community needs to wake up regarding the financial future of their game. If only they opened their eyes and used a little bit of grey matter and realised that RU globally is by far better commercially than RL, and then learnt from it. When Leeds were last in the Premiership they wanted to sign a tight head prop from SA but he would have been on more than Sinfield, who at the time was one of the worlds best RL players. Therefore this shows the pricing power between both codes. So if Sinfield helps to spark interest in our game and inspires another Jason Robinson it would be great!

Lets hope that this gives more opportunity for young lads to play both codes without the tribal mindset of both camps.

Pomfresian

• Legend
  • duplex crucis
Reply #54 on: April 02, 2015, 05:05:36 PM
Citizen Smith comes to me for advice PSW  ;D

There was a time a few years ago Sail By that I thought the `tribal mindset` in both codes were being broken down but I am sad to say that in my experience at least it is as bad as ever it was (in most not all cases)

I would be quite happy with a 1970`s Leeds United situation where everyone outside Yorkshire hated us but we had success based upon not giving two hoots about what people thought and did it our way because it worked. Carnegie could quite easily tap into this by picking players for the youth system and beyond on ability only. And maybe just maybe folk would walk through the turnstiles to watch them.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #55 on: April 02, 2015, 06:24:31 PM
Within five years the financial difference between rugby and RL will be colossal. So much so that rugby will have the instant pick of any RL talent without question. Wait till Sky and BT start fighting over the Premiership, the huge numbers will all go to the top 12/14 clubs. One of those clubs will have more money than every RL club put together. In fact as most RL clubs are near bankrupt I think my kids money box will make richer pickings.

If RL wants to survive it needs to brush the chip off its shoulder and accept it will need to work with rugby or it will be night night..

Pomfresian

• Legend
  • duplex crucis
Reply #56 on: April 02, 2015, 06:48:23 PM
There isn't many times BRB that we actually agree but on this one I do totally.

Rugby League is a brilliant product but it is run by short sighted, career/self promoting folk who dont have the sport at heart.
My worry is SKY; due to the fact that without it RL definitely wouldn't survive and that isn't healthy in any business sense, relying solely on one paymaster

If the professional ranks (RFL) worked together with the amateur ranks (BARLA) the game would be so much better for it but inherent and historic differences destroy their own sport, so working with or communicating with the RFU is a million miles away at present!

And thats even if the RFU have an interest vested or otherwise...

kronos47

Reply #57 on: April 02, 2015, 08:40:44 PM
What sort of crowd numbers do YC get in the championship?
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the Stars.
*Oscar Wilde 1895

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #58 on: April 02, 2015, 09:10:00 PM
Next to nothing, about 1500 but if they get promoted the prize is the TV money not the gate..
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 06:45:38 AM by backrowbandit »

kronos47

Reply #59 on: April 03, 2015, 10:37:38 AM
I am genuinely surprised at that number.

With its location and facilities you would assume it would be difficult not to get better numbers than that.?

What sort of numbers did you get when they, YC came to Scarborough?

When Titans came to Abbeydale earlier this year, I believe the crowds both times were circa 3K.

I think the suggestion to take the academy away is not an unfounded one as they are not creating a successful team or brand.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the Stars.
*Oscar Wilde 1895