$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Lies, damned lies and statistics........

Lies, damned lies and statistics........

This is a discussion for the topic Lies, damned lies and statistics........ on the board Yorkshire 1.

Author Topic: Lies, damned lies and statistics........  (Read 10739 times)

Phoenix Phantom

• Finding my feet
Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 01:14:34 PM
You there tomorrow Porkies?

porkies

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 01:20:23 PM
Yes, on match report duties......Ask and you shall find me  :D

Young Turk

• One of the boys
Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 01:32:44 PM
Just out of interest Rat, what is the average match fee for the ex champoinship contingent?

Rat

• One of the boys
  • facta non verba
Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 02:21:59 PM
For playing, Nothing
Coaching is another question, to which I don't know and if I did couldn't possibly comment
Just because nobody complains it doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect

NorthBayite

• One of the boys
Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 03:27:29 PM
It may be going off theme a little but from what I have seen Ilkley were a much better all round side than Pheonix  are this season.  Ilkley have good backs, I wouldn't know about Pheonix's as they never used them against us, but having watched Ireland play and beat England last week with a one dimension type of game i.e. kick the ball up in the air at every opportunity, Pheonix may have the answer as to how to progress up the leagues.  God help us all who pay to watch

Phoenix Phantom

• Finding my feet
Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 03:30:23 PM
Porkies ill be playing my good man
See you for a pint after
Haven't seen you for a while

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • A little respect please...
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 03:41:31 PM
Can't really criticise a side that plays to its strengths. Win ugly or lose gloriously? No brainer.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Ribb Exile in Lancs

Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 04:27:36 PM
I am new to the forum so I assume this point will have been debated at length in the past but why are Donny Phoenix in this league rather than the Premier Merit League along with Wharfedale Foresters etc. I realise they must have been set up as a club independent from the Knights but seems wrong to me. Is this the general feeling or have I got it all wrong?

You've got it all wrong.
Hmmm, seems opinions are divided on this one, anyway as I always like to see Yorkshire clubs prosper in the higher leagues I hope Phoenix go well next season.

Ribbflagman

Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 05:13:20 PM
stupid remarks or BAIT!!!!!!!!

porkies

Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 07:35:40 PM
Porkies ill be playing my good man
See you for a pint after
Haven't seen you for a while

Ahh think I can guess who you are Phantom ! Yes we'll have a pint, have a good game tomorrow but not too good .............. :D

omigidiant

• Legend
Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 10:57:52 PM
I am new to the forum so I assume this point will have been debated at length in the past but why are Donny Phoenix in this league rather than the Premier Merit League along with Wharfedale Foresters etc. I realise they must have been set up as a club independent from the Knights but seems wrong to me. Is this the general feeling or have I got it all wrong?

The problem with Donny Phoenix is not unique, several years ago Hartpury College joined the Gloucester league at it's lowest possible level, even though they had many potential international players. They spent the following years rising through the leagues often winning by 60, 70 or even more points on the way until they reached National 1 where they currently reside. Although they won't admit it they are to all intents and purposes a feeder side for Gloucester RFC, even though Gloucester's training grounds are at Hartpury College they still try to claim they are completely independant. On the way Hartpury have taken promotion places from many grassroots clubs who work hard to try and improve their clubs which means much more to their local communities than furthering the nests of the already successful pro clubs. This will never be resolved until the rugby powers that be recognise that these clubs are professional in everything but name and should not be allowed to compete at these lower levels. It's not rocket science, an idiot can identify these clubs that are understudies to pro clubs, so instead of letting them disrupt the grassroots leagues then why not simply provide them with a route to get to where they want to go. Unfortunately, the powers that be don't seem to possess the nouse to understand this so I expect nothing will change and we will be having this same conversation in 10 or 20 years time.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:00:49 PM by omigidiant »
Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 11:24:38 PM
The game went pro many years ago. Lot of folk taking a lot of time recognising that fact. Sigh.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

avinastella

Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 11:39:06 PM
Hartpury College even sponsor Gloucester. Certainly on their shirts.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Phoenix Phantom

• Finding my feet
Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 11:40:43 PM
Ill try not to
Honestly ????

old style prop

• anyone seen me tabs.
Reply #29 on: March 07, 2015, 12:28:09 AM
In response to Omni's point, I think the powers that be do recognise this - but recognising it and solving it are 2 completely different issues. For example if Leeds/Yorkshire carnegie decided to enter a new "club" into the leagues or "adopt" a current club to use as a feeder side then that club/team would have to enter the leagues at the bottom Y5 even if they were in reality a North 3 level team. To do otherwise and drop them into a higher level based on some educated guess work would mean instead of 2 spots for promotion for the rest of us there would only be 1 spot available which would mean a lot of disgruntled teams. So as far as i can see there ain't no easy solution.

Having experienced playing in leagues were a team is a lot more superior then the rest, far more so than donny have been, then you just grin and bear it at the end of the day its 2 fixtures and if you approach it in the right frame of mind of using it to set new standards for yourself and take on the challenge then it can be positive. Eventually the team finds their level (sometimes followed by them then folding or falling back down to the level they started at after the sugar daddy or senior club has a change of strategy).

Hopefully Rat will get someone at the club to correct the web site and I agree with him on fitness - that last 10 minutes, often of each half but certainly the 2nd half, are the ones were the better drilled and fitter teams pull away from the opposition, its also statistically were the most points are scored at all levels of the game.