$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Why did Sheff blow it at Percy Park

Why did Sheff blow it at Percy Park

This is a discussion for the topic Why did Sheff blow it at Percy Park on the board Regional Two (North & North East).

Author Topic: Why did Sheff blow it at Percy Park  (Read 14075 times)

YorkshireExile

• A little respect please...
on: April 12, 2015, 02:01:24 PM
Presumably, this may well be another week where Sheff are unable to write a report following their miserable encounter at Percy Park.

Kronos, can you tell us what went wrong and why?
Winner of the Pundits League 2012-13
Runner-up 2014-2015

Harry Hotspur

• Finding my feet
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 02:34:48 PM
Sheffield turned down at least 3 kickable penalties, one to the corner for a catch and drive which was turned over, and 2 quick taps near the line. If they had managed the game better they may have sneaked it. Park played with more spirit.

kronos47

Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 03:29:10 PM
Afternoon YEx have been in Bridlington with my wife and children at one of my fathers Garret's.

I heard pretty much the same as you, not good game management, not taking points when they're available.
The feeling was that we were in control for the first 50 and PP were lucky to still be in it. But the break never came.
PP played with a desire and desperation to defend, some of which we could have done with I guess.

Shame to have led the league for so long and slipped up at the penultimate fixture.

For my two penneth, I think the problem was the lack of bonus point wins in Dec onwards where for whatever reasons we stopped scoring and started defending and giving the opposition lots of possession (they may well have been taking that possession), the problem with that is whilst effective, you don't score lots of points and or win by big margins.

We have had a number of injuries to some of our backs, and our team back line is definitely a combination of athletes and a few with rugby brains and when the brains are missing your kind of screwed.

We have I think also struggled at the breakdown to do with interpretation or being out thought or out muscled or are not cynical enough, which is a surprise as we have real strength in depth in that area and some quality.

That and the loss at Old Crocs who we as a club have always struggled with.

To cap it all, Ilkley have played very well and have definitely been the form team, I don't know if they have great strength in depth , and you definitely need a bit of luck on your side in keeping all players fit and healthy, are well coached and are fortunate IMO that there hooker managed to not get sent off throughout the season.

Ilkley I think play the game in the right manner and attractively to but I am astonished that no one managed to stop there 3 stand out backs playing, maybe they were too good to let themselves be caught by some psychotic back row or maybe it's not possible any more?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:36:31 PM by kronos47 »
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the Stars.
*Oscar Wilde 1895

Pristine Shorts

Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 03:35:42 PM
A fair assessment, Kronos. As a matter of interest, who do you think are our three stand-out backs ? All yesterday's tries were scored by the backs by the way.

YorkshireExile

Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 03:42:15 PM
Due respect to you Kronos for a very honest assessment.

Do you think the team can rebuild some momentum to get them successfully through the play-off at Kirkby Lonsdale, if Ilkley get the 2 points they need next week?
Runner-up 2014-2015

kronos47

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 03:43:14 PM
Kimber, Baxter, Vincent, Nelson, McGee.

I realise that  there are 5 names, my understanding was your 10, one of your centres and the winger with big legs and gas to go with it, so 3 out of those guys or anyone else I have missed.
*Oscar Wilde 1895

kronos47

Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 03:56:48 PM
Due respect to you Kronos for a very honest assessment.

Do you think the team can rebuild some momentum to get them successfully through the play-off at Kirkby Lonsdale, if Ilkley get the 2 points they need next week?

Thanks YEX, I don't play any more and  have only limited involvement with the 1s, some of my pals still play, both props, the 10 and the 15, so it's basically feed back from them and watching the occasional game as I run the twos which I have stated many times. Oh and my best pal is our DOR.
I maybe miles off in my assessment but that's kind of a concentrated distillation, of comments I have received over the season.

You get what you deserve in this world and perhaps we needed to change tack as the intervention of Christmas definitely changed or affected the way we played(don't know why it happens every year).

It's very easy to comment on here and I do have a lot of faith and respect in the coaching and team management of our club.

There is IMO an advantage in playing at home equivalent to 10-15 points I believe, but yes I think we are good enough to beat KL, as I believe the conditioning of the league we play in and the guys we have puts in better shape to compete successfully.

All we need to do is focus and produce a performance.
*Oscar Wilde 1895

Pristine Shorts

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 03:57:32 PM
Tom Baxter is a prop. The backs are rotated, as we are fortunate to have strength in depth here.

Stuart Vincent is the Captain and Full-back.

The three wings are J-H Johnson ( big legs ! ) Paul Petchey and Ben Magee ( also plays FB )

The three centres are Alastair Monks, Steve Nolson and James Crossley ( also plays flanker )

Josh Kimber is the stand-off and goal-kicker.

Tom Collard has played all but one game as our scrum-half and we have enjoyed
an injury-free season in the backs. This consistency has enabled them to score so many tries.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 04:41:35 PM by Pristine Shorts »

Sergeant Stomp

• Forum old hand
Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 04:39:26 PM
I would like to think that we have good strength in depth too?

YorkshireExile

Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 06:14:25 PM
Kronos, if it is your club that is in the play-off, I reckon we will all be from Sheffield that day.

Good luck on Saturday and even better luck at Kirkby Lonsdale ;) ;) ;) ;)
Runner-up 2014-2015

Ribbflagman

Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 06:50:58 PM
You will comfortably beat K. Lonsdale, they haven't beaten us for more than 20 years. And we are not exactly world beaters. In fact if we are to traverse across to the NW division we would fancy our chances of progressing upwards. However we prefer it where we are. Y1 is THE league to be in for us????????

ManInTheMiddle

• Finding my feet
Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 12:49:25 PM
You will comfortably beat K. Lonsdale, they haven't beaten us for more than 20 years. And we are not exactly world beaters. In fact if we are to traverse across to the NW division we would fancy our chances of progressing upwards. However we prefer it where we are. Y1 is THE league to be in for us????????

When was the last time you played K. Lonsdale, Ribbflagman? Having encountered them on a couple of occasions this season with my refereeing kit on, your prediction of a comfortable win for Sheffield is fairly wide of the mark I feel. They haven't lost at home all season and I have refereed them against Broughton Park and Wilmslow where they have expertly controlled the match and looked every bit like a team destined for L5! Having said that, I hope it's a top match and may the best team win!

Pristine Shorts

Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 02:02:38 PM
Interesting point, MITM. Ilkley played KL in the quarter final of the Intermediate Cup a couple of years ago, when the Ilkley forwards proved far too strong for them.

It was one of those regular fixtures we had prior to leagues and I always enjoyed playing there.

They must be considerably stronger now if they're beating the likes of Kendal.

Sycamore

• Legend
Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 03:17:12 PM
Seen the Ilkley 1sts a few times this season and Kimber is a class act.

Ribbflagman

Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 04:56:15 PM
Always play them pre season and it always competitive but with consistently the same outcome. Was always a regular fixture that is now sadly missing due to leagues and cup fixtures. I think Sheffield will prevail with something to spare even having to travel up to Kirkby.
Watch this space.