$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Yorkshire Shield

Yorkshire Shield

This is a discussion for the topic Yorkshire Shield on the board Yorkshire 1.

Author Topic: Yorkshire Shield  (Read 62491 times)

ac/dc

• Forum old hand
on: April 25, 2016, 08:27:18 PM
West Leeds vs Bradford Salem - Tomorrow (Tuesday 25th) 6:30pm KO
Should be a good game, West Leeds Favourites?

When are the other ties being played?

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 09:58:38 PM
I think Skpiton 2nd XV playing with 12 man would be favourites against BS right now.....

No contest..
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

WL XIII

• "Not even noon shadows pass through Death Valley"
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 10:56:15 PM
We are happy to wait and play Salem either two weeks on Saturday or (less preferably) even Tuesday 10th (after Twickenham)

Bored of talking about cup format, but it's certainly not very supportive of Yorkshires national cup representatives.

What a real shame that arguably the strongest county in the country has to have the business end of its cups played mid week like its the Micky mouse chocolate ash tray. And teams are forced to prioritised competitions. Our County Cup shouldn't be stretching squads at the end of a long season, two days after a championship decider, and forcing us to play 3 competitive games in 8days, heightening the chance of injury, so close to a final.

Madness when they're are alternatives.
It's not just people with triskaidekaphobia that should fear Outside Centres. Everyone should.

Occasus Leodis sumus creber

avinastella

Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 11:51:39 PM
Yore not allowing for the semi finals, they're on the 14th with the final on the 22nd. Double header again I understand.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Oldandslow

Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 07:27:53 AM
Correct semis on the 14 May. Winners of tonight's game @ home to  Ponte in the semi.

Muted Response

• Calm on the surface, but paddling like crazy below
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 09:23:30 AM
We are happy to wait and play Salem either two weeks on Saturday or (less preferably) even Tuesday 10th (after Twickenham)

Bored of talking about cup format, but it's certainly not very supportive of Yorkshires national cup representatives.

What a real shame that arguably the strongest county in the country has to have the business end of its cups played mid week like its the Micky mouse chocolate ash tray. And teams are forced to prioritised competitions. Our County Cup shouldn't be stretching squads at the end of a long season, two days after a championship decider, and forcing us to play 3 competitive games in 8days, heightening the chance of injury, so close to a final.

Madness when they're are alternatives.

Absolutely crazy!!
But in fairness to Salem, Ponte and other teams still remaining in the competition, they don't want to have to wait weeks after the end of the season before completing this competition. Match fitness soon drops off without competitive games.
If Yorkshire are going to persist in choosing the Yorkshire representatives for the national competition from the results of the previous year of the county cups, then I think they should consider the following . . . .
1. representatives chosen for the national cups DON'T play in the county cups that year.
2. weekends set aside for national cup games should be county cup weekends too.
3. the county cup, like the national cup, should take precedence over league games, ensuring the cup competition keeps moving on (league games can be slotted in later in the season).

thoughts?

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 09:32:38 AM
The problem with the County Cup taking precedence over the league is the high number of walk overs....and yes, they will still happen..
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

krisleeds

• One of the boys
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 09:33:43 AM
Would potentially ruin West Leeds unbeaten season too.

WL XIII

Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 09:34:37 AM
Yore not allowing for the semi finals, they're on the 14th with the final on the 22nd. Double header again I understand.
What I'm saying is why?
What's difference playing quarter on the Wednesday 11th and semi on 14th?
It's not just people with triskaidekaphobia that should fear Outside Centres. Everyone should.

avinastella

Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 10:02:40 AM
What I'm saying is why?
What's difference playing quarter on the Wednesday 11th and semi on 14th?
Answered above Sam. Potential for teams who managed to complete their season on schedule then potentially hanging around for weeks for a game that may not go ahead.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:04:23 AM by avinastella »

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 10:16:33 AM
12 team leagues = meaningful cup comp.

14 team leagues = joke.

Life is all about choices.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

WL XIII

Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 10:22:52 AM
I agree it would be pooy for you. I don't think there's a solution that's perfect for all. This is just pooy for us. I am disappointed in what side of the fence Yorkshire came down on.
What are you gunna do about the lay off after tonight's game if you win.

You about tonight? I'd offer to buy you a pint but not sure if bar staff are talking to me after Saturday.

avinastella

Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 11:13:36 AM
Down in Southampton so can't make it.

Regarding cup comps. The national setup has been something of a poisoned chalice for the County comps.
The RFU have turned a blind eye to the problem in their desire to railroad through their plans to establish their next format of the national comps - one that the majority didn't seem to want.

Given the choice I'd sack it off and allow the county comps to develop again.

Muted Response

Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 12:03:45 PM
12 team leagues = meaningful cup comp.

14 team leagues = joke.

Life is all about choices.
Did you get permission from BRB to write this !!  :o

Muted Response

Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 12:07:57 PM
I agree it would be pooy for you. I don't think there's a solution that's perfect for all. This is just pooy for us. I am disappointed in what side of the fence Yorkshire came down on.
What are you gunna do about the lay off after tonight's game if you win.

You about tonight? I'd offer to buy you a pint but not sure if bar staff are talking to me after Saturday.
I might have mentioned this before, but when Selby got to Twickenham a couple of seasons ago, Donny Phoenix had the rules bent to suit them and YRFU agreed with them so we had to play a title decider against them (instead of the scheduled game v sheff medics) the week before Twickers. THEN they insisted we play Sheff Medics the Thursday after the final.
Luckily we won them all  ;D . . . . but it was close v Sheff Medics