$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Final season results

Final season results

This is a discussion for the topic Final season results on the board Merit Leagues.

Author Topic: Final season results  (Read 8779 times)

chriswarburton

• Finding my feet
  • captain of wetherby crusaders (2nds)
on: April 28, 2016, 08:12:11 PM
Can someone please explain to me how Moortown won merit 2? They have played 9 games less than Wetherby,  not beaten enough people,  and somehow win the league??
This is wrong.  If they can't play every game then they shouldn't be in with a chance, let alone a win.
Does this average points per game mean we could play one game, win 100 to nil and win the league.
 This is so disgraceful that it's not even a victory.. 
We should have a playoff for the league victory..

bind up

• Forum old hand
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 08:43:05 PM
So:
Wetherby.  P24.  W21.  104 points
Moortown.  P15.  W13.    66 points

But Wetherby given 2nd place........Is it me?

chriswarburton

• Finding my feet
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 09:00:08 PM
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender

Rob13

• Forum old hand
Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 09:06:37 PM
You ok?

chriswarburton

• Finding my feet
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 09:16:10 PM
Yes, just a bit miffed..

kronos47

• A little respect please...
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 08:01:19 AM
We Sheffield 2s won the YMP only because we played more games than anyone else in the league.

Tbh it's a very hollow victory and the league just fizzled out.
I am going to the meeting at Ponte on the 4/5 to discuss Merit league structure.

I hope someone has some good ideas.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the Stars.
*Oscar Wilde 1895

Gilly

• One of the boys
Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 11:39:32 AM
Personally I dont understand why the Merit League structure isn't using the exact same set of rules that seems to be working pretty well in the North West Leagues. A quick look at the tables there shows that the top league managed 150 matches of which 5 were conceeded. The Yorkshire Premiership only managed 44 of which 11 were conceeded. The NW sides have managed a full cup comp too with 3 finals to be held at Rochdale on 7th May.  I can't see why there should be such a difference. At this level the 1st teams are in the same leagues as the NW guys anyway. It can only be that there is a lack of interest and respect for the competition. This has a knock on effect down the merit leagues too as cancellations higher up mean mismatched games further down. Clubs have good years and bad years. If you aren't good enough then you should play lose and get relegated just like your 1st team would. Cancelling and boosting 3rds / 4ths etc doesnt help you in the long run.

I dont think the rules of the leagues are actually that far apart but the punishments for conceeding fixtures, playing a 3rd team but cancelling a 2nd team etc are handed out in the NW leagues whereas over here it doesnt seem to happen. I imagine it is easier for fixture secretaries and team captains / managers in the NW because the players are in the habit of turning out every week and they are almost certain the opposition is going to show up.

So Sheffield win the Premiership but only actually played 10 games and Wharfedale came second and only played 8? The NW sides had played this many league games by the end of November. If I was a young lad wanting to progress I know which comp I would rather be playing in.

kronos47

Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 08:51:48 PM
I'm with you Gilly.

My thoughts are that if teams Welch on a merit league game, the senior team would be fined 1 league point. Do people think for example if this had been enforced, Otley wouldn't have just put all there efforts into there 1s and would have ensured a competitive 2s. Perhaps a further knock on would encouraging more youth players into the set upto fill the team, retain more players, get more people playing rugby and lastly more monies for the RFU from sport England....simples.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:57:50 PM by kronos47 »
*Oscar Wilde 1895

avinastella

Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 08:58:48 PM
Isn't there a meeting coming up shortly regarding the future of the Merit leagues?

A chance for people to try and establish a working format, if only for those clubs interested.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

old style prop

• anyone seen me tabs.
Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 09:25:00 PM
Correct stella next week in ponty i think all the fix secs have been sent details and very much the place to raise suggestions of how things can be improved.

kronos47

Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
I am going to said meeting.
*Oscar Wilde 1895

ye olde 9

Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 11:11:08 PM
Gents I wish you luck ;D

avinastella

Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 09:17:39 AM
To be fair, the committee seemed to have identified the problem is predominantly with the higher leagues. I think we all know which clubs too. How often have we seen K47 on here looking for fixtures because their merit opposition have done one?
WPL sacking off their 2nds but retaining 3rds/4ths - contrary to the rules of the league.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

sjg

• One of the boys
Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 09:46:35 AM
To be fair, the committee seemed to have identified the problem is predominantly with the higher leagues. I think we all know which clubs too. How often have we seen K47 on here looking for fixtures because their merit opposition have done one?
WPL sacking off their 2nds but retaining 3rds/4ths - contrary to the rules of the league.

Was on the end of a hammering at wpl at end of year due to this

Supposed to play 3rds but wpl openly admitted it was 2nd/1st squad, poor form

Ohhhh and they played a banned player but ill keep his name to myself

FrontRowHG

• Finding my feet
Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 08:35:45 AM
sjg - you played a 3rd team with a couple of returning 1st/2nd team players which isn't that what merit league rugby is? Development and bringing players back in.

I can't see any mention about the tactics you guys had to play with constant high tackles and wrap around the neck. Even giving our fly half a broken nose with can only be described as a clothesline with every intention as you werenot getting your own way. If we had a different ref on the day, they would have been a few sinbins and a sending off. But he wanted the game to carry on as you were already getting a right pummelling.

We nearly beat you at your place with 14 players too, it's just a shame we were struggling for numbers like we have done all season. It's just good to see these players coming back and playing for the shirt.

Would like to know who this 'banned player' is too.

Good luck in the league next year, I'm sure we will be seeing you all again soon :)