$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; yorkshire cup

yorkshire cup

This is a discussion for the topic yorkshire cup on the board Yorkshire 3.

Author Topic: yorkshire cup  (Read 4613 times)

Boatracer

• Legend
  • Lose on the pitch, win by the bar.
on: May 22, 2016, 03:15:41 PM
Full time Thorne 18-13 Wetherby

Could have been different -Weth broke through with minutes to go only to be pulled back to take their own penalty. Some strange refereeing choices all round. Thorne more dominant - pressured Weth back line well and Weth never really looked like they got going
Yes, my scrum cap is wee coloured...

insider

• A little respect please...
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 06:17:52 PM
What is new in Y3 some terrible and strange refereeing goes on! Great result for or caravan friends down the road. Massive well done.
Look good, feel good, play good

old style prop

• anyone seen me tabs.
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 12:54:45 PM
Cheers Thorne well done on your result and great effort by your lads to shut our backs out hope you enjoyed the celebrations.

Also enjoyed watching the Shield game West Leeds looked a different class in the first half mullered B&B in the scrum and cut them to ribbons in the backs. In the second half the pace really slowed and Bradford came back into the game producing some Rugby that looked worthy of a top Y1 side. Well done West Leeds on a great season and commiserations to B&B who nearly came back to sneak the win.

Controversially i expect i must add that I think the microphone from the TJ to the ref must have been broken. In the second half i witnessed two prolonged, clear and obvious demonstration of tap dancing on a players back and legs from the same Bradford player directly in front of the TJ on the side i was watching game from. Both incidents were no were near the ball and would have been a straight red and 3-4 week ban in a televised game but as neither resulted in a penalty they clearly did not get a mention. If any one videoed the game it should be sent to disciplinary committee as the chap concerned seems to be a bad accident waiting to happen.

Boatracer

• Legend
  • Lose on the pitch, win by the bar.
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 08:18:02 PM
Cheers Thorne well done on your result and great effort by your lads to shut our backs out hope you enjoyed the celebrations.

Any more analysis on your team's performance osp? I'd be interested

Id agree with foul play from BnB - saw a lot of it. Glad we only have the likes of Stocks and Bramley to suffer. No need for it
Yes, my scrum cap is wee coloured...

old style prop

• anyone seen me tabs.
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 10:04:46 AM
I thought set piece went well for us and we did well at defending the strong Thorne Maul. When we did get the ball thought we kicked away too much possession when we should have kept it in hand to establish an attacking base and when we didnt kick it we often looked rushed as if we were trying too hard to force the game (possible nerves). Thorn seemed to have a game plan of getting back row out wide in defense to help the backs and coming up fast with sweeper behind to cover the chip over, which hey did effectively. To counter this we needed to run though phases until we sucked that back row in and gained quick ball at which point we could have pulled the trigger but it never seemed to happen. As with the last few games with Thorne it was very close with defense on top from both sides and in the last two games we have got the breakaway try to secure the win but this time round it was Thornes time with a great interception and then a nice pass from the second row.

A couple of occasions were we had a chance of a try scoring pass and it went forward (some days these all come off and some days they don't and also two occasions were we seemed to make a clean break through the line after Thorne committed a penalty and on both occasions the ref blew and pulled us back to award us the pen which was frustrating but i can only assume he spotted something we had done so went back to first pen as prior to these he had played out some long periods of advantage. 

Overall a close but scrappy game which Thorne edged and deserved their victory, but close and if like the last couple of games we had had the bounce of the ball we could have stolen it.

avinastella

Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 10:45:21 AM
I thought both Thorne and Wetherby were very good in the first up tackle and getting the ball carrier down. Both sides though were then constantly penalised at the breakdown. Whether they were genuinely infringing or ref was a bit keen on the whistle difficult to say but neither of them seemed to learn the lesson.
I found it to be an absorbing game with both sides showing full commitment. A couple of odd decisions by Wetherby in the 2nd half may well have been there undoing, but ifs and buts and maybe's.

Some big lads on show so will watc with interest how they go on in D2
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

old style prop

• anyone seen me tabs.
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 12:29:01 PM
Stella agree with you on the breakdown and in my opinion whilst the ref did seem a little bit keen on the whistle both sides were infringing regularly so i don't think he was making them up, more that he set his stall out that he would be strict at this aspect. Both sides would clearly benefit from being able to adapt how far they push it at the breakdown based on the ref on the day as one aspect of really good teams is they will push it till they find the line and then step back a little bit from that to maximise their advantage whilst limiting the number of pens they give and keeping the ref happy. But thats easy to say from the sideline.

silverback

• Forum old hand
  • Riverside
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 01:48:10 PM
well done to the men from the coalface      nice win after Wetherby have swept all before    and congrat to West Leeds not bad for a team of unpaid professionals