$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; New scrum and maul Laws - do they come into effect for us next season

New scrum and maul Laws - do they come into effect for us next season

This is a discussion for the topic New scrum and maul Laws - do they come into effect for us next season on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: New scrum and maul Laws - do they come into effect for us next season  (Read 4464 times)

old style prop

• A little respect please...
  • anyone seen me tabs.
Big changes especially at the scrum my thoughts in brackets and if someone knows if they will be coming in for us next season be good to know. I reckon they will need a lot of work on training paddock and i really hope they change their minds about the collapsed scrum, as this will only end one way - just a matter of will it be months or a few years before someone gets paralysed before its changed back.

The replacement of a player injured following foul play does not count as one of the allotted number of replacements available to that team (makes sense to me)

Advantage may be played following a scrum collapse, if there is no risk to player safety (makes sense at first reading but thinking about it i can see this changing back after a bad incident were the ref thought it was safe and ended up in spinal injury)

Play acting or “simulation” is specifically outlawed in the game in a move that formalises resistance to a practice that has been creeping into the game in recent years. Any player who dives or feigns injury in an effort to influence the match officials will be liable for sanction (about time hate seeing this - be a brave ref to call it though as its usually not clear cut to anyone other then the monoculled brigade on touchline)

Teams must be ready to form a scrum within 30 seconds of the scrum being awarded, unless the referee stops the clock for an injury or another stoppage (thats me screwed)

At a re-set scrum following a 90-degree wheel, the ball is thrown in by the team that previously threw it in rather than the team not in possession (could lead to intentional wheeling from the side who have lost the ball)

The scrum-half of the team not in possession at a scrum may not move into the space between the flanker and number eight (massive change will make it far easier for the not so good scrum halfs who can only pass off one hand)

When the ball has been at the number eight’s feet in a stationary scrum for 3-5 seconds, the referee will call “use it” and the attacking team must use the ball immediately (can see the sense in this would prefer time to be more 5-7 seconds but will see how it goes)

Upon the formation of a maul, the player in possession of the ball cannot ‘swim’ to the back of the engagement. Instead, the ball must be transferred ‘hand to hand’ to the back of the maul by the ripper, who must remain in contact with the initial receiver at all times (bet a lot get caught out with this at start of season as most team and coaches have based maul technique on player with ball moving backwards)

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
I like the "monoculled" bit. About time there was a bit more touchline culling. ;D ;D ;D
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

oneoftheoldfarts

• One of the boys
Might be a good idea for a referee to respond on these points,so coaches can begin working on these points.

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Some interesting changes there. Correctly implemented and refereed they should make a positive contribution...
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Ripit

• Forum old hand
Comes into effect from 1st June 16

Radio Gnome

• Legend
  • I, for one, like Roman numerals.
Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
That I got no cerebellum -  Ramones 1977

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
As with all law issues, we need to see the exact wording rather than summaries / précis before deciding how to approach them.

kronos47

OSP I think the rules are fine, I don't see where your concern regarding injury at scrum time comes from?
It just seems to me if you go 90' you get the ball back, nothing too dramatic for me pal.
Hope your well?
K
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the Stars.
*Oscar Wilde 1895

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
I suspect he is referring to the collapsed scrum and play on if safe rule....
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
...which in real terms only applies to the pro level where collapsing a scrum is virtually a formality in UK rugby (see many previous threads) and anything that can help speed the game up in that respect has to be welcomed.

old style prop

• anyone seen me tabs.
Kronos yes well thank you and as BRB pointed out concern was in reference to the ref allowing play to carry on after a collapsed scrum if he deemed it safe - firstly it is hard for anyone to know if it is safe and secondly whilst it may be safe at first some movement or further pressure can mean it no longer is. Never had any issues with the wheeling part of the scrum and i can see the benefit of that change in reducing the amount of scrums that are intentionally wheeled.

kronos47

Kronos yes well thank you and as BRB pointed out concern was in reference to the ref allowing play to carry on after a collapsed scrum if he deemed it safe - firstly it is hard for anyone to know if it is safe and secondly whilst it may be safe at first some movement or further pressure can mean it no longer is. Never had any issues with the wheeling part of the scrum and i can see the benefit of that change in reducing the amount of scrums that are intentionally wheeled.

Right got you, thanks for the clarification.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the Stars.
*Oscar Wilde 1895