Author Topic: Possible return of Ilkley to NE1  (Read 5126 times)

Offline Dan Nulty

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
Re: Possible return of Ilkley to NE1
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 01:34:39 PM »
Second rower these days.  He was playing back row for Bradford and Bingley as a 17/18 year old when they were in National One.  As I said, if he can stay fit he is in their squad comfortably.

Offline hobbo

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 08:32:10 AM »
Second rower these days.  He was playing back row for Bradford and Bingley as a 17/18 year old when they were in National One.  As I said, if he can stay fit he is in their squad comfortably.

gingerish haired lad?  Did he play against us at your place Dan?

Offline Dan Nulty

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 02:04:34 PM »
Yes he was bud, he was stand out that day as well (for me anyway!).

Offline hobbo

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 03:27:10 PM »
Yes he was bud, he was stand out that day as well (for me anyway!).

He was your best player that day, outshone Baines (who I also rate) and could defo make it crack in Nat 3. 

Offline Sycamore

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2016, 09:49:35 AM »
So just putting it out there but Ilkley have lost the services of
Chapman
Petchey
Pickersgill
Kimba
Johnson
To name a few of 7 players mentioned on there web site and have recruited many more but none it seems of the standard of some of the outgoing, several it appears from OGs.

How will it affect the Ilkley boys in what looks like a very tough Nat3N.

Went down to watch on saturday against Blackburn who they beat..Couple of new players on show looked ok. They will certainly miss Kimba (Australia) and Petchey (Otley), if Johnson has gone then they will certainly miss him as well. I think the biggest departure they suffered was the begining of last season when they lost their talismanic hooker Steve Graham back to Wharfedale due to apparent coaching ambitions according to the Ilkley Gazette (speaking to people sounds like he was butting heads with the coach) shame really considering he went straight into the full Yorkshire side.

They seem to survive though as they lost three stalwarts in Monks,Renton and the fullback in the promotion from NE1 I say that but they seem to coax back Renton for home games.

Offline Pristine Shorts

• A little respect please...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2016, 04:38:06 PM »
It's ( Declan ) Jackson that will be going, not ( J-H ) Johnson. Chapman was second team skipper. Petchey is having a go at Otley, Kimber has gone to Australia and Pickersgill has gone to Uni somewhere ( I think ) Spencer, the second row has retired.

The new faces come variously from Otley, Darlington MP and Harrogate, as well as Grovians.

Thirty + players were used in Saturday's trial match against Blackburn, so it was very difficult to ascertain exactly how strong the squad is, compared with, say, the 18 that beat Sheffield Tigers in the last match of last season.

Ilkley play Bridgnorth away this coming Saturday, then Doncaster Phoenix away in the Yorkshire Cup on the 27th. We will all have a good idea of how the season in N3 will progress by the time Billingham visit Stacks Field for the first League Match.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 04:42:34 PM by Pristine Shorts »

Offline Sergeant Stomp

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2016, 06:16:23 PM »
Evening all. Fair to say that a few have left Ilkley in the off season.

Paul Petchey, moved to Otley, wants to try his hand at a higher level.

Declan Jackson, moved to London.

Josh Kimba, off to Oz.

James Spencer, retired.

Chris Chapman, taking a sabbatical.

John Pickersgill joined the coaching set up at Skipton I think?

Of the six; Chapman played little first team rugby last season, Pickersgill was involved at the start of the season only.

It's no secret that Kimba was our captain last year and a quality player, he'll be missed but it's not the end of the world.

Petchey didn't play much First Team after Xmas. Good luck to him, top guy and a good club man.

Spencer has retired, a quality 2nd row but again not the end of the world.

Jackson is off to the smoke.

Players coming in have/are compensating for the departures.

Monks and Vincent retired at the end on the 2015/16 season. Renton never retired, he's getting his business off the ground, played a handful of games in the first and second team for us last year.

Think that's it?

Season nearly here😀

Offline kronos47

• A little respect please...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2016, 11:19:43 AM »
Seems a very even response from you two. Tbh I was just causing some mischief Ilkley will be fine.
We are in the same boat, losing a few and gaining a few.
One just hopes your gains are better than your losses.....
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the Stars.
*Oscar Wilde 1895

Offline Lampiao

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 01:50:49 PM »
On K's idea that Ilkley may return to NE1 I don't think it is likely - Stockport were clearly the weakest side to stay up last season - and we know they have lost a couple of regular players. Not heard much out of cleck - but they seem to be declining - I'm writing those two off. 

Kendal and Morley may be strong (if you believe rollingmaul) but no guarantees.  Pheonix - I have spoken with a referee who knows them well and thinks they will struggle but evidence from previous years is that they are confident to make every step up and Knights must be looking to support them into Nat 2 and within 'Loaning distance'. None the less one of these three may well struggle

Even without the promoted teams Ilkley would still only need to pick off one out of Billingham (who start the season with a load of away games due to having 3g installed which cant help), Firwood and Hull who all seem to have lost players.  I think Ilkley will probably be OK.