Author Topic: 12 YES 12 overseas players to Malton  (Read 5198 times)

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
12 YES 12 overseas players to Malton
« on: September 11, 2016, 07:15:58 AM »
I was informed yesterday that struggling Malton have arranged for up to 12 overseas players to travel to Malton. The exact numbers are fluctuating, with initially 9 eighteen years old Kiwis and 3 south Africans coming. Then another said the Kiwis had dropped to 7 and saffas to 2.

Either way they are in desperate need of something. They sit rooted to the bottom of the table having not won even a bonus point yet. However more worrying I understand that they were unable to field a 2nd XV yesterday.

Hopefully they will get themselves sorted and drop to a level that they can manage...
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level. Lucky to be involved in England's number one ranked level 7 league...Yorkshire One.

Offline Vernerial

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
Re: 12 YES 12 overseas players to Malton
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 04:49:24 PM »
I will have a look on Saturday, home to Driffield, big local derby.
I will see how many I recognise from last season.
I guess Brexit may have loosened up the immigrant situation  :)

Be a fun day either way, plenty of banter with the Driff lads.

I will try to keep the board updated at half time and full.
12-3 HT
12 -6 FT
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 04:58:39 PM by Vernerial »

Offline old style prop

• anyone seen me tabs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 06:58:57 PM »
If that is actually the case, and not just mischievous speculation, then they will be doing it tough if/when the ban on paying players at our level comes in (or if the money man goes away). Few seasons of 100-0 drubbings each week or the option of a parachute to Y5 like Halifax could be on the cards.

Offline avinastella

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 09:32:01 PM »
If that is actually the case, and not just mischievous speculation, then they will be doing it tough if/when the ban on paying players at our level comes in (or if the money man goes away). Few seasons of 100-0 drubbings each week or the option of a parachute to Y5 like Halifax could be on the cards.
Don't think there's any shortage of money men there.
That said, might depend on farming subsidies.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Offline Boothman03

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 04:14:05 PM »
As a Malton player i can confirm that no money is paid to any player(s) within the club.

Offline old style prop

• anyone seen me tabs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 08:29:29 PM »
Booth man I take it from your comment that the title of this post was incorrect then and you do not have any foreign players flying in.

Offline Fatlad

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 08:33:06 AM »
Who said anything about paying players?

Offline Boothman03

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 07:09:32 PM »
'If that is actually the case, and not just mischievous speculation, then they will be doing it tough if/when the ban on paying players at our level comes in (or if the money man goes away). Few seasons of 100-0 drubbings each week or the option of a parachute to Y5 like Halifax could be on the cards.'

The sentence above hints at payment of players.

I'm not saying we don't have any overseas players as a fact we do have  few, as do many clubs within this league.  One of Maltons strengths at the moment is the pack who are all local boys.

Offline Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 07:59:03 PM »
Good to see the Malton ban on forum participation has been lifted after several years. Huzzah!
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Offline old style prop

• anyone seen me tabs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 11:31:22 PM »
Bootman the ban on paying players will pretty much eliminate overseas players at your level. Assuming the overseas lads don't pay for their own flights then the money men pulling out would have the same effect. I think its fair to say that if any club relies on a dozen overseas players, to stay at the level they are at, then if they all get pulled out the club is likely to drop like a stone.  (hence the reason why my post was caveated with "if this is actually the case, and not just mischievous speculation"

For information in case you missed it the RFU class providing flights, accommodation or the offer of employment directly linked to playing rugby for a particular club as Payment. Any players concerned who this applies to, domestic or overseas, have to be registered with the RFU as a contracted players, with significant penalties being handed out when this is not the case.

Offline Vernerial

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 02:12:19 PM »
I understand BRB has no problem with an entire squad of imports representing his club, But what is an acceptable amount to the rest of the forum? I am in favour of having an exotic import or if some travelling lad or lass  staying in the area brings his boots to the training session and fancies a run out. We should welcome them.
But I do not want to see 5 imports in a community club. Is there any real difference between imports and 'some help with expenses' to attract a player from another club?
These are difficult areas to police as far as the RFU are concerned. But I believe it should set some guidelines, to establish some moral standards to which clubs should aspire?

Offline backrowbandit

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 03:01:40 PM »
In 2011, 7.5million people lived in the UK who were born outside of these shores. People of many nationalities.... do you count these as "imports", what about people with different colour skin?

Perhaps you could define your (UKIP) definition of "imports"?
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level. Lucky to be involved in England's number one ranked level 7 league...Yorkshire One.

Offline Vernerial

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 09:05:33 AM »
I believe the RFU have defined what contracted player should look like, Skin colour, gender,, nationality and cultural background were not an issue.
Although I have not noticed southern hemisphere ladies turning out for the Belles as yet.
Give it time.

Offline backrowbandit

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 09:33:11 AM »
True but you referred to imports not contracted players.....

Offline old style prop

• anyone seen me tabs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 10:26:51 AM »
I would have thought imports (who should be contracted players unless they are 100% self funding) are pretty self explanatory in that the person concerned moves to this country in order to play rugby - with to some extent their movement and/or living costs funded by the club or one of the clubs supporters - typically pay your flights, accommodation for the first few months and some local job sorted. 

This is clearly different to the situation were somebody from abroad moves to this country for a none rugby related reason but then takes up rugby with a local club. So if you happen to have a club next door to a Uni that takes in several quality rugby playing medical students from all over the world your quite lucky.

At the moment there are no issues providing people fill in the paperwork correctly. The only issues occur when people do not do the admin correctly, or when clubs become reliant on a decent number of imports who, for whatever reason, all disappear at once and are not replaced. Obviously these problems would be amplified if a club actually did rely on a dozen or more such lads. (This same conversation could be had for those situations were a club buys in a big name coach who brings a decent number of quality local players with him)