$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Playoff System

Playoff System

This is a discussion for the topic Playoff System on the board Merit Leagues.

Author Topic: Playoff System  (Read 8999 times)

BR

• Finding my feet
on: February 08, 2017, 07:59:37 AM
Anyone know how the playoffs are going to work, we are in the Central and North League and our fixtures have dates for Quarter Finals, Semi Finals and a Final.  There are only 9 teams in our league now so top 8 teams to make 4 quarter finals seems unlikely could have top 6 with 2 teams getting a buy to Semis I guess... anyone actually know?

Bren

• Forum old hand
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 06:36:08 PM
Can't help I'm afraid mate. We're in championship south and fixtures end in March according to website - some still to be added though.

Not sure how promotion/relegation will work.
#lovesport

Ripit

• Forum old hand
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 08:36:42 PM
Ive heard in the Championship, Top 4 in the North will playoff against Top 4 in South

Shed

• Forum old hand
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 07:33:14 PM
be useful to know how this is going to work, i know we have tried to find out through other channels with our fix sec etc but just cant seem to get an answer! FredsBar can you shed any light??

Fredsbar

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 08:33:13 PM
Meeting tomorrow, all will be revealed.

Fredsbar

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 08:36:47 PM
Meeting tomorrow, all will be revealed.

UtilityBack

• Finding my feet
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 02:52:40 PM
Who is meeting who? Our club is in a playoff position potentially but we don't own our ground. Any additional fixtures at home haven't been factored in or put on players radars

Hopefully comms from this meeting will be issued sharpish

Shed

• Forum old hand
Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 03:17:38 PM
Received the email this morning, which league table do we use to judge possible opponents as the RFU and YRFU tables are different?!

It seems a pretty long winded way to use the play off system, absolutely no reward for a consistent season as so many teams are included, but creates more games etc etc I guess.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bren

• Forum old hand
Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 07:54:01 PM
Now that is a complicated format!! As you said a very long winded way to end the season, I thought it would be top 3 or 4. Looks like we (Sandal) still have something to play for and not mid table obscurity!!
#lovesport

BR

• Finding my feet
Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 07:55:32 AM
Just an email from our fixtures sec, in our league of 9 teams the top 8 going into playoffs and the top 4 teams all play away in 1st round... some "advantage":
1st round
1) 5th v 4th
2) 8th v 1st
3) 6th v 3rd
4) 7th v 2nd

Semi finals
5) 1 v  2
6) 3 v  4

Final and 3rd- 4th
6 v  5

UtilityBack

• Finding my feet
Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 08:13:10 AM
Useless - no benefit whatsoever for having a consistent season and finishing the regular league high up the table.  Can see a few of these games not happening.  Nothing at all to stop clubs padding out their squads (especially at home) to try to get a more respectable position.  As ever, no consultation with the clubs involved

Bren

• Forum old hand
Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 09:12:50 AM
The difference between first and eighth in each league is huge, that could be a blobbed game straight away.

I like the idea of a play off system but not where nearly all the teams qualify.
#lovesport

Shed

• Forum old hand
Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 01:09:11 PM
The difference between first and eighth in each league is huge, that could be a blobbed game straight away.

I like the idea of a play off system but not where nearly all the teams qualify.

we could end up away at YM, so our reward for finishing in the top 2 of our league after 14 games is to play away against a club from a higher division!

i would have though the top 4 from North/South would have given a better test and a truer reflection.

old style prop

• A little respect please...
  • anyone seen me tabs.
Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 12:11:31 AM
I do appreciate all the effort people put into this type of thing and i can see were they are comming from but i cant help feeling that if the team that finishes top at the end of the season in a league misses out on promotion over a side finishing below them that it would be an injustice. Personally i could see the benefit of a play off between the teams from second from top and second from bottom in an attempt to ensure the stronger team stays in the stronger league.

Just hope nobody plays silly buggers and strengthens a merit table team in the playoffs (god knows why the would want to go up to a harder league if they ain't good enough in the one they are in but you never know) and robs the top side or 2 of the chance to gain the promotion a full season deserves.

Could see a fair chance of WO's which is probable why they have put the weaker teams at home to limit chances of WO's being given.

Bren

• Forum old hand
Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 07:51:22 PM
Have been told that the play off system will go by the league standing by 18/3. If that's the case I'm a little annoyed that we will have played both fixtures against all the top 4 teams - we must plan our fixtures better next season!!! Should hopefully add some spice at the end of the season.
#lovesport