Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
Scores
« on: February 11, 2017, 04:11:20 PM »
Scarborough 15 - 13 salem
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level. Lucky to be involved in England's number one ranked level 7 league...Yorkshire One.

Offline Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
    • View Profile
Re: Scores
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 04:58:44 PM »
Bridlington   15 - 10   West Leeds
Heath   23 - 13   Beverley
North Ribblesdale      15 - 5   Hullensians
Old Brodleians      5 - 21   Keighley
Scarborough   15 - 13   Bradford Salem
Selby   29 - 11   Acklam
York      23 - 21   Yarnbury
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Offline porkies

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 05:48:18 PM »
Mucky win for York , Yarnbury were full of second team lads who did their club proud. Wet cold and greasy conditions didn't suit us but we'll take the win and move on. On this showing Yarnbury will remain in Y1.

Offline Oldandslow

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 06:56:08 PM »
Mucky win for York , Yarnbury were full of second team lads who did their club proud. Wet cold and greasy conditions didn't suit us but we'll take the win and move on. On this showing Yarnbury will remain in Y1.

It's easy to let games slip on wet cold February days played on heavy pitches. It's about grinding out a result, days like today make or break seasons.

York and Scarborough did what they had to do today they won. Also great results for North Ribb an Selby.

Offline Ribb Exile in Lancs

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 08:16:10 PM »
The relegation fight is becoming very interesting. I don't believe there are any poor teams
(when near to full strength) in  Yorkshire One so it will go down to the wire. Ribb are getting
stronger with a few more players set to return but of course for all I know the other teams
could also get stronger.

Offline omigidiant

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 10:08:03 PM »
Another good win for Heath today. They seem to have turned the corner and are fulfilling their pre-season expectations, all be it a bit late.
Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!

Offline kronos47

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 12:54:28 AM »
I think there is a lot of being polite here chaps, regards results in Y1.
North Ribblesdale must be chuffed to bits as should Keegley.
Selby won but won't do much more this season.
York to only just win at home to an under strength Yarnbury is not that convincing.
Not trying to be a naih sayer....but really?
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the Stars.
*Oscar Wilde 1895

Offline Sail By

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 06:57:19 AM »
I would tend to agree  but all 3 games are more important than the meaningless Sheffield 2nd team drivel (not a fan of merit leagues) that you comment on.

Yesterday I witnessed two bottom of the table teams slug it out for 70 mins with Selby moving away in the last ten minutes. It wasn't pretty but it was a great game to watch. This was followed by a packed clubhouse watching the international.

This is what rugby is about! Working bloody hard on the pitch but having a good old drink together in the bar.

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 08:15:26 AM »
Nice one Sail by! :) :)

Scabs fought hard for a win yesterday against a battling Bradford team. It was freezing cold, raining and windy so it was never going to be much of a spectacle but both teams gave it their all. A much depleted Scarborough side struggled to get momentum at times but everyone was very pleased with a win - the match could have easily gone either way.

Really enjoyed the company of the Bradford Salem officials for lunch, very nice bunch and looking forward to catching up again next season.

Its remains interesting at top and bottom. Having seen Acklam a couple of weeks ago I think they will go down but no idea who will join them.
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level. Lucky to be involved in England's number one ranked level 7 league...Yorkshire One.

Offline kronos47

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 09:19:10 AM »
I would tend to agree  but all 3 games are more important than the meaningless Sheffield 2nd team drivel (not a fan of merit leagues) that you comment on.

Yesterday I witnessed two bottom of the table teams slug it out for 70 mins with Selby moving away in the last ten minutes. It wasn't pretty but it was a great game to watch. This was followed by a packed clubhouse watching the international.

This is what rugby is about! Working bloody hard on the pitch but having a good old drink together in the bar.

Is that what qualifies as a bite?

Apologies for the drivel, it's kind of what Forums are about, people sharing thoughts on a common interest.

Like the idea of a full clubhouse and watching the game, excellent.

Have a nice day I am off to the space centre in Leicester with the kids x
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 09:48:32 AM by kronos47 »
*Oscar Wilde 1895

Offline avinastella

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 10:54:02 AM »
Nice one Sail by! :) :)

Scabs fought hard for a win yesterday against a battling Bradford team. It was freezing cold, raining and windy so it was never going to be much of a spectacle but both teams gave it their all. A much depleted Scarborough side struggled to get momentum at times but everyone was very pleased with a win - the match could have easily gone either way.

Really enjoyed the company of the Bradford Salem officials for lunch, very nice bunch and looking forward to catching up again next season.

Its remains interesting at top and bottom. Having seen Acklam a couple of weeks ago I think they will go down but no idea who will join them.
Thoroughly enjoyable day out yesterday. Thought both teams played well considering the conditions.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Offline Radio Gnome

• Legend
  • I, for one, like Roman numerals.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 12:16:38 PM »
A tenuous link to Yorkshire Rubgy but so what.

Refereed Middlesbrough v Barnard Castle yesterday in D&N I.

Middlesbrough were in buoyant mood after their pleasing (for them) Shield victory the weekend before against Hullensians.

Match was played on a pitch resembling the Somme and everyone look like Fran Cotton at the finish. Teams were indistinguishable by half time and numbers were long gone. Luckily for me everyone behaved.

Barnard Castle look like they're heading for at least a play off place after their promotion last season - 3 pts off top spot with 2 games in hand.

Back to proper Rugby.....

...a crack on the head is what you get for asking -  Morrissey and Marr 1985

Offline Lampiao

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 12:08:49 PM »

Meaningless to who Sail By.  Don't you think that 30 lads getting out on a Saturday for a game of rugby is meaningful? 

You may not like the merit leagues but the standard is better than Yorkshire 1.

Offline Sail By

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 09:58:14 PM »
As you can see I am not a fan of merit leagues.
30 lads playing in a merit league vs 1st, 2nd 3rd & 4th team all playing for Selby against York??
I know which I would rather play in or be associated with every day.

Ask yourself what do merit leagues bring to your club?
Ok they bring an easy cop out to arrange fixtures which are supposedly the same standard.

Do they aid in recruitment? See the other thread for Huddersfield and Ionians for that, but to be honest at Selby we do see a lot of player movement in the 4th and 5th team from other clubs as we treat all players equally.

At a club with 5 teams you could see little cliques forming because the 3rd team are doing well, whilst the second team are struggling. Luckily we don't see that too much but it has been widely discussed how X team has folded their 2nd team but still playing 3rd team merit.

Therefore I will return the question what is the point of Merit leagues?
Do you really think people commit more and play harder just to see where they are in a merit league?
I truly dont think that is the reason why players in lower teams cross that white line on a Saturday, for me it is because they love the game and they want to play with their mates!!

Offline kronos47

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 10:36:12 AM »
Sail By, morning.

I was indifferent to the Merit leagues myself at the outset.

Now I am of the opinion that whilst the league still has its obvious faults due to teams capitulating for a variety of reasons, (this could be avoided if more stringent penalties were enforced, Saying  that Sheffield Tigers were kicked out of our league and their results expunged), it is good for the fellas who want to play for something as well as each other, like a league title.

We are where we are and until the status quo changes, it will remain thus.
Just my opinion.
*Oscar Wilde 1895