$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Leaving and joining Y1

Leaving and joining Y1

This is a discussion for the topic Leaving and joining Y1 on the board Yorkshire 1.

Author Topic: Leaving and joining Y1  (Read 6142 times)

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
on: March 08, 2017, 06:29:54 AM
So what we can be certain of is that Wheatley Hills will be coming down into Y1 and Moortown will be coming up.

Likewise Brid will almost certainly be going up as will Acklam be going down (or across).

The other team to come up will be Old Rish or Ponte.....

As for coming down, the other spot could go to Dinnington or it may end up being a transfer across by Middlesbrough again.... Depending on whether whoever finishes 2nd in Y1 wins their playoff.

The 2nd relegation spot is far too close to call.

Y1 is going to have a grittier feel to it next year.

Another Leeds based club with a huge player base (the city!) to call on, Moortown, has walked through Y2 and will already be expected to do well in Y1 like WL have. Over the years city based clubs that get on a roll act as a draw to good players who are within spitting distance from the club, or ex-players who return when the going gets good. When we played WL just after Christmas they had two new players playing for them who were playing their first game and both had arrived from several leagues higher. Obviously great for WL but harder for this to happen in smaller towns away from large industrial areas.
My point is, I believe Moortown will in all likelihood attract even more players over summer and I suspect that they will be challenging for the top in Y1 next season.

Already the bar is being set, which players / clubs will be up for the challenge??

For what it's worth, I think Brid will do well at L6, they won't go up (they will seriously miss their 10) but I'd expect them to be comfortably top half ....
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 06:32:39 AM by backrowbandit »
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Oldandslow

Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 09:15:07 AM
Remember BRB may only be 2 down from NE1 due to the demise of London Welsh, that could cause further complications.

Have seem some Y2 this year Moortown are a good side with some outstanding overseas imports. There imports have traditionally only stayed 1 season which may cause them some disruption. See them as top half of Y1 not a West Leeds I think.

Think the other side will be Old Rishworthians they are a workmanlike side and difficult to beat at home I've always think the layout of their pitches gives them a head start. See them as lower half of Y1 unless they recruit well

I agree Brid will go well in NE1 even without their 10.

At the bottom I do fear for Selby they are not a bad side but having seem them last Saturday don't think they have the nouse to survive. Sorry Selby hope I'm wrong.

singapore slinger

• One of the boys
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 12:03:30 PM
I think Moortown could push for promotion from Y1, they have a monster centre who is ex-rhinos who is going to eat people for breakfast and from all reports is as good as his hype. they also bring in good players from overseas, which is probably the only question mark, as they dont tend to see out the whole season and either arrive late, leave early or both. we tend to be able to attract students from the uni's which is a massive bonus, but we are also competing with other teams in the area like Moortown, as well as other teams in the higher leages like morley and otley (who we lost players to this season).

the scrum half we had when we played scarbs is an ex-junior player who has come back to join us and his brother is a coach and ex-player as well but him and calderwood are the only ones to play at a significantly higher level. The 10 who i think you are referring to is a student at beckett, and plays for their 2nds. Definately doesnt hurt to be near Leeds but the majority of the current playing group have been stalwarts for a long time, (2 front row, all of the back row, 10(breakwell), 11, 12, 13, 15) more than the last 2 years, who grew up with the club.
Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 06:59:14 PM
I was impressed with both you're new players.

Ribb Exile in Lancs

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 10:42:04 PM
You make a good point BRB, once clubs in an urban area get on a winning roll
they are in an excellent position to attract useful players. We have our problems
recruiting in our rural area, Wharfedale being just up the road doesn't help. But
like other clubs we make the best of our circumstances and are proud to be able
to compete in probably the countries strongest level 7 league.

heathen

• Forum old hand
  • DIGNI ESTE FAVORE
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 11:51:06 AM
it can have its down sides being in an urban area,halifax could have 3 Y1 sides next year along with three lower league sides.not to mention huddersfield,huddersfield YMCA and cleckeaton being within 5 miles.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 01:04:52 PM
Although that does mean lots of rugby players sloshing around.

omigidiant

• Legend
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 11:06:05 PM
Halifax, as a relatively small town, boxes well above it's weight in rugby terms with 6 Yorkshire league teams all competing for a finite number of players. Rugby League is still the premier game in the area which takes even more players out of the equation, although to be fair some do play both codes. Brods and Rish seem to corner the junior market as far as Union is concerned but there are also a number of local League teams with excellent junior set ups so the juniors are well catered for. All this has to bode well for rugby in Halifax, lets hope we can convince all those juniors that Union is the way to go, but either way it is good for the town and for kids playing rugby, no matter which code, which is better than standing on street corners causing trouble.
Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 06:56:31 AM
Although in fairness you are only 8 miles from Bradford and 12 miles from Leeds - so hardly na backwater.

If you drew a 12 miles circumference around any Halifax club you probably have a population to go at of millions.

If you did the same around rural/outlying clubs their population probably doesn't change from the 10,000 to 50,000 range.

I accept both scenarios bring problems and benefits but i do think on balance it's easier to be in a hugely populated area (albeit with several clubs) because the overall player base is such bigger and more fluid. If you have no tighthead prop at a Halifax club, you know that one way or another there are probably 50 odd other ones within 12 miles at other clubs 1st, 2nd or 3rd team. If you have no tighthead prop at a rural club you have a choice of fish or sheep for a replacement.

kronos47

Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 07:03:24 PM
So who will be leaving Y1.
Acklam for sure
But who will join them from Yarnbury or Selby or perhaps Ribb?
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the Stars.
*Oscar Wilde 1895

Ribb Exile in Lancs

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 11:56:39 PM
Well that was the same question BRB asked 5 days ago & so after Saturday's results we
are no nearer. On the 25th Yarnbury will probably get at least 4 points against Acklam,
Ribb having got many players back after injury ought to win at Selby, although our away
record is sketchy. Can't see Acklam or Selby picking up any points during April. So I think
Ribb & The Anglers will survive. Probably signed our death warrant!!!

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 06:31:18 AM
At the other end of the table, whilst i fully expect Brid to be promoted with ease.....They're not exactly storming to the title. A relatively narrow victory at home to lowly Acklam then losing away to Salem. They have Beverley, Keighley and Brods to play in three of their last four matches.....

Would a loss to Beverley in their next match set off a bout of squeaky bum time!!??

For the record, just to reiterate, i have no doubt that they will get promoted...They just might make hard work of it...

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 06:32:43 AM
None of the three clubs fighting to avoid relegation have easy run-ins but maybe Yarnbury have the hardest...Perhaps??

Oldandslow

Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 07:28:00 AM
At the other end of the table, whilst i fully expect Brid to be promoted with ease.....They're not exactly storming to the title. A relatively narrow victory at home to lowly Acklam then losing away to Salem. They have Beverley, Keighley and Brods to play in three of their last four matches.....

Would a loss to Beverley in their next match set off a bout of squeaky bum time!!??

For the record, just to reiterate, i have no doubt that they will get promoted...They just might make hard work of it...

Both the top two have games this Saturday West Leeds play Aspatria in the national cup and Brid travel to Ponte in the shield.

At this stage in the season what's best a week off or keeping playing?

Also second in the league face a playoff game for promotion and if it's West Leeds they could also be looking @ a trip to Twickenham.

Good luck to West Leeds, Aspatria have always been a good side.

I still expect Brid to go up as champions.

avinastella

Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 11:58:05 AM
I think Moortown could push for promotion from Y1, they have a monster centre who is ex-rhinos who is going to eat people for breakfast and from all reports is as good as his hype. they also bring in good players from overseas, which is probably the only question mark, as they dont tend to see out the whole season and either arrive late, leave early or both.
They might have some explaining to do next season then if they are to comply with the new rules (I think it's next season they kick in).
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.