$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Quality of refereeing at Yorkshire 2

Quality of refereeing at Yorkshire 2

This is a discussion for the topic Quality of refereeing at Yorkshire 2 on the board Yorkshire 2 .

Author Topic: Quality of refereeing at Yorkshire 2  (Read 5457 times)

Tasker

• Forum old hand
on: March 12, 2017, 05:45:00 PM
I feel this is a topic in need of discussion.

I personally have felt the quality of refereeing this year has been as lack-luster as the new series of Top Gear. Yesterday was a perfect example, as it has often been this season: not interpreting the break-down correctly (allowing players to hold on the deck, then penalizing the competing player for eventually being off their feet), penalizing players for asking their captains to have a word, because it was 'about their authority on the pitch' even though nothing was directly said to them, and could not offer a reason for at least 2 penalties given when asked by players. Are Yorkshire RFU getting it wrong when training refs? Should they be assessed more often for the level they ref, not just when they wish to push on through the leagues?

Before anyone says, I will fully admit I am a bit sour about it, especially because I was the one penalised at the end for legally competing for the ball at the breakdown, being the second man in and being on my feet for at least 10 seconds, but this isn't a reason why we lost to Thorne yesterday because if they had kicked all their penalties, we would have lost by more than 1 point, which is on us. Thorne took their chances and deserved their victory. But it does beg the question how awful decisions can affect the game for both side, because that is exactly what the standard of refereeing did yesterday and has done quite a few times this season.

It would be good to get people's opinions on this as I feel a lot of referees at this level make it more about themselves rather than the game. The best ref for us in my opinion this year was a female referee who was brilliant and who was all about the game.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 06:35:29 PM by Tasker »
The artist formally known as Wath-Youngster

Ripit

• Forum old hand
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 06:06:27 PM
Without a ref you wouldnt have a game.

Try having a go at it yourself before criticizing the refs. It may give you a different view on refereeing.  Begs the question of if he was penalizing you at the breakdown then why continue to compete?  Just defend and let the attackers make the mistake.

Tasker

• Forum old hand
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 06:27:12 PM
I have had a go myself, I'm not saying it is an easy job to do, but if you are expected to ref, you are expected to to ref to a good standard. On the subject of myself, I was penalised after allowing to play to carry on for 2 - 3 phrases, before pulling it back. No mention during, no warning. Again, this was the same for both sides yesterday, hence my opinion on referees' ability to ref the break-down correctly at this level, because it seems to be an ongoing issue talking to many supporters and players from clubs.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 06:40:02 PM by Tasker »

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • A little respect please...
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 06:29:40 PM
Disgraceful thread.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Tasker

• Forum old hand
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 06:30:59 PM
Disgraceful thread.

All entitled to our own opinions, including me.

LighteningBoltProp

• Finding my feet
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 06:37:08 PM

Before anyone says, I will fully admit I am a bit sour about it, especially because I was the one penalised at the end for legally competing for the ball at the breakdown, being the second man in and being on my feet for at least 10 seconds

Having played with & against you I'd agree off your feet was probably the right call...
One day fat people will rule the world

Tasker

• Forum old hand
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 06:38:51 PM

Before anyone says, I will fully admit I am a bit sour about it, especially because I was the one penalised at the end for legally competing for the ball at the breakdown, being the second man in and being on my feet for at least 10 seconds

Having played with & against you I'd agree off your feet was probably the right call...

;D  ;) normally I wouldn't disagree but this time there is video evidence

LighteningBoltProp

• Finding my feet
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 06:42:22 PM

I hope you'd done your hair before getting on camera

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 06:48:28 PM
I don't see any problem with discussing refereeing as long as it is respectful and constructive.

For what it's worth, in two seasons i have only seen one game where I'd say the refereeing was bad. That's not to say refs don't make mistakes but it doesn't mean a bad game.
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

LighteningBoltProp

• Finding my feet
Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 06:50:36 PM
I think the quality this year is better than last year, refs still make mistakes they are apparently human like us after all. We did have a female ref Vs Ponte & she was probably the best we've had in a long time, controlled the game very well

Tasker

• Forum old hand
Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 06:53:48 PM

I hope you'd done your hair before getting on camera

Gave it a little flick. See you in 2 weeks, hope the family is well.

Edited the post to make it more overall; it wasn't a bad game, certainly not the best. If interpretations were correct then it would have been a whole lot better; Thorne may have won by more points, we could have edged it, who knows? But I just feel that because we are of a lower level, the standard sometimes isn't taken seriously as it should. Yes, reffing should be better the higher up you go, but that shouldn't mean the standard should drop lower down. Perhaps it should be easier to ref when the standard's lower?

thorne 123

• Forum old hand
Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 07:25:26 PM
Task I will say that the ref is a good bloke always referees fair think in yesterday's game he did miss a few things but for both sides . Is overall game was decent I do like how the refs have stopped players talking to them until they are ready to it shows authority on the pitch ???? Really enjoyed the game a little sore today , is there anywhere we can see the video evidence ????

Muted Response

• Calm on the surface, but paddling like crazy below
Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 07:36:14 PM
Guys, lets be honest here, the number of offenses committed by most teams at Yorkshire 2 level could give the referee the opportunity to blow his (or her) whistle 3 or 4 times a minute.  :-[
That is the level of the game at which we are playing.
If you go up one level, the quality of the players change and the offenses goes down.
A referee has to either stamp down on offenses early in a game, in the hope the players learn their lessons, or (and this happens more the lower down the leagues you go) let some things go to help with the flow of the game.

Lower league players don't tend to learn from being penalised, because they don't see what they did wrong, so repeat the same offense several times. High quality players might think they were in the right, but change the way they play to suit the referee . . . .
That is the difference in player skill level and attitude.

So, in summary, if you want a better referee, play at a higher level.
If you don't learn from your mistakes, expect to be 'pinged' every time you offend.

My opinion only  ;D
Cheers, MR  ;)

Tasker

• Forum old hand
Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 07:40:48 PM
Task I will say that the ref is a good bloke always referees fair think in yesterday's game he did miss a few things but for both sides . Is overall game was decent I do like how the refs have stopped players talking to them until they are ready to it shows authority on the pitch ???? Really enjoyed the game a little sore today , is there anywhere we can see the video evidence ????

The discussion is for overall experiences this season, not just yesterday mate. With regards to speaking to the ref directly, will always agree with that. However, penalising for general comments or speaking to the captain over calls disagreed with, and not directly to refs, is something again that has happened a lot this season in my opinion.

This isn't a bashing - rather general thoughts on the matter as a whole. Im not in charge of the video evidence - convenient I know  ::)

Tasker

• Forum old hand
Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 07:45:02 PM
Guys, lets be honest here, the number of offenses committed by most teams at Yorkshire 2 level could give the referee the opportunity to blow his (or her) whistle 3 or 4 times a minute.  :-[
That is the level of the game at which we are playing.
If you go up one level, the quality of the players change and the offenses goes down.
A referee has to either stamp down on offenses early in a game, in the hope the players learn their lessons, or (and this happens more the lower down the leagues you go) let some things go to help with the flow of the game.

Lower league players don't tend to learn from being penalised, because they don't see what they did wrong, so repeat the same offense several times. High quality players might think they were in the right, but change the way they play to suit the referee . . . .
That is the difference in player skill level and attitude.

So, in summary, if you want a better referee, play at a higher level.
If you don't learn from your mistakes, expect to be 'pinged' every time you offend.

My opinion only  ;D
Cheers, MR  ;)

I completely agree - the point I am trying to make is the inconsistency not just between refs, but actually within the same game - for example calling one decision, then not calling the same decision for the same offence: it just seems to be for me, that this season, the break down has been the main area for this. I apologise if the points I am making aren't well written to understand - I was generally interested in knowing people's views. If people's views are different to me own, then okay.