Author Topic: Next Season - Yorks 5 / 4  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Hollis Hero

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
Next Season - Yorks 5 / 4
« on: March 15, 2017, 02:06:50 PM »
Any news on the make up of Yorks 5 next season?

With Rotherham Clifton pulling out of Yorks 4 I guess just one club down, with still 2 coming up to maintain 12 teams in Yorks 4.

However, this would only leave 7 teams in Yorks 5, added to this I believe Withernsea are reverting back to the Merit League next season so that would potentially only leave 6 teams in Yorks 5?

Thoughts? Or anyone in the know about next season?

Offline old style prop

• A little respect please...
  • anyone seen me tabs.
    • View Profile
Re: Next Season - Yorks 5 / 4
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 09:51:02 PM »
might be even worse than that as things stand at the moment to me it looks like it will only be on team down from Y1 to Y2, assuming Acklam revert back to NE leagues, so that would drop the number of teams going down to only 1 - would that mean 0 teams down from Y4 ?

As always hard to say anthing for certain untill all play off games are sorted for leagues above Y1, hopefully once there out of the way the powers that be will have it sorted ASAP.

Offline avinastella

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 11:56:37 PM »
might be even worse than that as things stand at the moment to me it looks like it will only be on team down from Y1 to Y2, assuming Acklam revert back to NE leagues, so that would drop the number of teams going down to only 1 - would that mean 0 teams down from Y4 ?

As always hard to say anthing for certain untill all play off games are sorted for leagues above Y1, hopefully once there out of the way the powers that be will have it sorted ASAP.
Depends how much of a protest the Northumbs/Durham clubs put up. I'm hearing at least one club are willing to withdraw (from the leagues) rather than level transfer.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Offline Murdock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 01:00:56 PM »
Teams in Yorkshire 1 and 2 might not like it but they maybe need to drop down to 12 teams and drop sides down so 4 relegated 2 promoted to filter extra teams into Yorkshire 5 (won't help my club in Yorkshire 4 as that would relegate us) or do like they did a few years ago with the Yorkshire 5 north west and 5 south east, it would just have to be Yorkshire 4 north west and 4 south east. less games for teams currently in Yorkshire 4 but more games for the lads in Yorkshire 5.
bazinga

Offline Shirt filler

• The lord of the Manor...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 12:35:02 PM »
or better still, YFRU and RFU spend some time with 1st XV's playing in the merit leagues and see what needs to be done to convince them to join into the Yorkshire Leagues. I believe there are enough 1st XV teams in the merits to fill Yorkshire 5 and maybe even add a Yorkshire 6 again. If that means relaxing some of the admin rules in Yorkshire 5 and even maybe regionalising the league to cut down on travelling then why not try it to get more sides playing again.

Offline Murdock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 01:07:32 PM »
the lads at hallam wouldn't come back I don't think they got penalised for stupid stuff like putting jon smith on a team sheet instead of john smith (from my understanding). it could be the same case with other clubs you look back through the leagues for the last 10 years nearly 20 clubs have been and gone (or just gone) both wakefield clubs included (and yes I know the big wakefield was in the nationals but it's still a Yorkshire team gone)
bazinga

Offline TJ

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 01:41:15 PM »
Having played in Yorkshire 4/5 and merit leagues I would agree starting point for Yorkshire five would be to approach the 1st xv merit teams and try get them back into league and if possible have Yorkshire 5 play to merit league rules with increased numbers allowed to play for each team to get more people a game such as 22 per game rather than 18.

Offline Rob13

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 03:48:27 PM »
The cups a joke get rid of it no one really buys into it.

If they could move those 1XV's hiding in the Merit leagues they would have done it by now I think they realise they cannot be forced. The only realistic solution is the sides in Y5 being put into Y4 to form a single league or split the league into two.

Offline Shirt filler

• The lord of the Manor...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 09:02:32 PM »
Its not about forcing any teams, more a case of what would entice them back into the league and what made them leave etc. and work from that. It wouldn't take much to find that out and see what, if anything, can be put into place to start strengthening the numbers back in the Yorkshire leagues before more teams decide to drop out due to lack of games.

Offline Used To Be Fast Once

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 10:16:04 AM »
Single club sides should not be allowed in the merit leagues thus encouraging them to join Y5 the merit leagues are an easy alternative Y5. Maybe relaxing rules for Y5 if possible. if something isn't done there wil be no Y5. The simple solution is make Y1 Y2 Y3 Y4 12 teams and the rest go into Y5. However clubs in Y1 etc wouldn't agree to this.

Offline avinastella

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 12:57:37 PM »
Nothing to do with Y1 not liking it.
Regulation 13 states 14 teams at L7 in the North.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Offline Murdock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 01:02:17 PM »
Sheffield Engineers
B P Chemicals
Marist
Hull & York Medics
Sheffield History Society
Hallamshire
Nestle Rowntrees
Keighley Academy
Hull University
Barton on Humber
I think that's about it for first teams in the merit leagues some of those played 20+ games which is more than a Yorkshire 5 season
must admit some I know nothing about but we've 10 teams there (potentially double the number of teams in Yorkshire 5)
bazinga

Offline UtilityBack

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 01:47:43 PM »
20+ games in a very well run and organised league with zero penalties for games not being played due to 'no front row' or 'lack of players'  Also the travel is a lot easier meaning less struggles raising a side away from home, plus the rugby is a good standard and very competitive giving some lads the opportunity to test themselves against Y1 and Y2 standard players most weeks - whats not to like about merit leagues? where is the incentive to join Y5 from those competitions?

Offline Murdock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 03:20:15 PM »
What we’re saying is the reasons your in the merits is it something Yorkshire could change/do to tempt you back into the league structure. Never said you shouldn’t be like it
bazinga

Offline Dan Nulty

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 04:37:08 PM »
The big thing is dialogue needs to be opened with these clubs by the Yorkshire RFU.  Is it being?