$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Thoughts on paying players

Thoughts on paying players

This is a discussion for the topic Thoughts on paying players on the board Yorkshire 1.

Author Topic: Thoughts on paying players  (Read 13554 times)

Driffield Bulldog

• Finding my feet
on: September 04, 2017, 01:36:09 PM
Just wanting to get everyone's thoughts on clubs paying people to play for them? I personally have nothing  to do with any clubs in Yorkshire 1 but from past experiences I believe you have to splash the cash to advance from this league.
From what I have been reading on here it sounds like there is a few teams paying out a fair bit to certain players

Be honest guys we all know them couple of lads who have turned up at your club who claim there not getting any financial backing even tho they could probably play at a much higher standard.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 01:42:29 PM by Driffield Bulldog »

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 02:48:24 PM
I genuinely don't think that there is anywhere near as much payment/payment in kind than a) people think or b) there used to be.

The only exception I think is Moortown who  have 5 players they are paying (in kind). One of our players knows one of theirs so there is no question that they are funding players which they are permitted to do this season...

Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 03:04:57 PM
My only thought is " so what if they do".
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 03:10:11 PM
Hence my "which they are permitted to do this season"....

Dan Gleibitz

• One of the boys
Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 03:12:00 PM
Quite a boring topic which unfortunately surfaces regularly.

For the Halifax teams it is my understanding that players from the US/NZ/SA will come over, often with flights paid for and through club connections they may be found jobs and/or accommodation. But no match fees or anything like that. Players use rugby as their way to spend time abroad and have a base for travelling Europe whilst playing the sport they enjoy.

I think at Brid for example it works the same way. Bees paid some of their players a decent wedge when they got promoted.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 03:17:43 PM
Quite a boring topic which unfortunately surfaces regularly.

Agreed... but...

Players use rugby as their way to spend time abroad and have a base for travelling Europe whilst playing the sport they enjoy.

It is because of what you say here (which I fully agree with) I think the RFU have got it pathetically wrong with their policy from next season.

Wagner

• One of the boys
Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 04:00:11 PM
I think it should only be done at National League Level.

Too many clubs splash cash to keep their 1st team playing at a higher level.
When the money runs out, they crumble.
Even if the money doesn't run out, 2nd team players become none existent as they look for rugby elsewhere.
Then the Juniors that were promising go elsewhere.

Mink

• Forum old hand
Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 05:05:09 PM
the club i am associated with do not play players for playing, but i am aware of clubs in Y1 that do.
and i think you have to look at the reasons why they do it. if paying one player who helps improve your team/club and means you keep hold of 4 or 5 other players is it worth it?

i think the big question is if paying any player(s) does it mean you loose players/supporters/club members/sponsors because of it...i think if you do its not worth it. if that player improves the team/moral/the league position or attracts other players which in term improve the club it is worth it.

a player picking up his money and not buying in to the club (however good he is on the pitch) isn't worth a penny

old style prop

• anyone seen me tabs.
Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 05:13:17 PM
Not a black and white issue as covered several times but personally i do not think they should be paid outside of top level leagues, somewhere around National league North and south feeling about the correct cut off level. I would much rather see any funds being directed at the club level, schools in the clubs catchment area, junior section etc and overall focus on strengthening the whole club for a long term future.

But i do recognize that it is not a straightforward case of £100 to a paid player would equal £100 invested in the club before you even get into the many grey areas like "paid player coaches" "paid club development officers - who play for you" "generous travel expenses" "flights accommodation" etc etc

I still very much standby my long held opinion that i would never knowingly play at a club were i was paying subs to play whilst anouther player at the same club was being paid to play - just would not sit well with me.

Sycamore

• Legend
Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 06:14:42 PM
If a club 'don't' pay players which a lot claim how many of clubs circumnavigate this by not enforcing subs on the 1xv and throw stash in for free along with other perks? To me you are as good as paying them if you do this as well....

Memory_Man

• Legend
Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 07:16:23 PM
I genuinely don't think that there is anywhere near as much payment/payment in kind than a) people think or b) there used to be.

The only exception I think is Moortown who  have 5 players they are paying (in kind). One of our players knows one of theirs so there is no question that they are funding players which they are permitted to do this season...

I suspect your fishing rod is working overtime but out of interest are all 7000 of your posts to date also complete dribble?

Here in LS17 our giros are barely keeping the lights on. The lasagne Selby got for players meals were our cleaners leftovers.

Goose

• Finding my feet
Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 07:21:33 PM
What is the problem with paying players?
The positives far outweigh  the negatives

Paying players

Will improve the playing standard of the club by attracting Better quality players

This will in turn Attract new players
Attract youngsters who will get better coaching
Encourage parents to take their kids
Attract more paying spectators
Raise the overall standard in the league
Attract new players from other sports
Enable older players to drop down a few levels and spread their knolwledge

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 07:34:05 PM

I suspect your fishing rod is working overtime but out of interest are all 7000 of your posts to date also complete dribble?

Here in LS17 our giros are barely keeping the lights on. The lasagne Selby got for players meals were our cleaners leftovers.

I honestly wasn't fishing and if you thought I was then I apologise. The days of me fishing are over.

I thought you were very open about it, you' were advertising on recruitment websites and with agents listing what you offered ... futhermore one of our players is friends with one of your players who.lives in a house full of overseas players. If I'm misinformed then again I'm sorry, I didn't think it was a secret (simply because you.posted it all the internet during summer??)

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 07:36:57 PM
What is the problem with paying players?
The positives far outweigh  the negatives

Paying players

Will improve the playing standard of the club by attracting Better quality players

This will in turn Attract new players
Attract youngsters who will get better coaching
Encourage parents to take their kids
Attract more paying spectators
Raise the overall standard in the league
Attract new players from other sports
Enable older players to drop down a few levels and spread their knolwledge

Indeed there is truth in what you say... I have always argued that clubs can do what they like as long as it is legal, sustainable and not to the detriment of other rugby at the club. The best arbiter of whether that is happening should always be the club members.

Memory_Man

• Legend
Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 08:49:09 PM

I honestly wasn't fishing and if you thought I was then I apologise. The days of me fishing are over.

I thought you were very open about it, you' were advertising on recruitment websites and with agents listing what you offered ... futhermore one of our players is friends with one of your players who.lives in a house full of overseas players. If I'm misinformed then again I'm sorry, I didn't think it was a secret (simply because you.posted it all the internet during summer??)

Tell Jimmy to concentrate on his coaching ;) and we will look forward to hosting you guys in December. We will save up for an extra special finger buffet :)