$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Cup Format

Cup Format

This is a discussion for the topic Cup Format on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: Cup Format  (Read 2720 times)

Shirt filler

• A little respect please...
on: October 12, 2017, 12:18:27 AM
What are peoples thoughts on the new cup formats this year, cup, shield, silver trophy and vase?

From what I've seen so far, York cup has 2 walk-overs, shield has 1 walk-over, Silver trophy has 2 walk-overs and York vase 2 walk-overs from the 1st round

new format but same old story?

Oldandslow

Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 02:03:58 PM
Don't like the new format, think it was done so the three lower competitions mapped onto the RFU's cup format.

I liked the shield with both Level 7 (Y1) and level 8 (Y2).

One of the best games I watched last season was the semi between Ponte and Brid. Ponte played well and made Brid really have to work for the victory. The game was a great advert for cup rugby.

However I think for many clubs and players the only think that matters is the league and maybe the time has come end the cup competitions.

Dan Nulty

• Legend
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 03:20:03 PM
My personal opinion is that I thought there would be more fixtures fulfilled given when sides towards the bottom of Yorks 2 are drawn against Yorks 1 sides there was more likely to be a cancellation.  I also thought the idea of a bus trip up north or south to fulfil fixtures against more Northerly sides would also be appealing.

Genuinely think the only way to keep the cups alive is to reduce league numbers which has a negative effect on income and meets resistance.

Players don't want to be available every weekend now.

Rob13

• Forum old hand
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 03:28:55 PM
[/quote]

The exact problem with the game now.

Mink

• Forum old hand
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 03:32:21 PM
why don't we just have one cup competition with the chances of some 'giant killing'
we a fine system that if you enter the competition and then fail to to play your game you are fined £1000?

avinastella

Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 04:05:14 PM
My personal opinion is that I thought there would be more fixtures fulfilled given when sides towards the bottom of Yorks 2 are drawn against Yorks 1 sides there was more likely to be a cancellation.  I also thought the idea of a bus trip up north or south to fulfil fixtures against more Northerly sides would also be appealing.

Genuinely think the only way to keep the cups alive is to reduce league numbers which has a negative effect on income and meets resistance.

The Cup comps have little value to some clubs, some deliberately don't enter, fair play to them for being honourable and declining the invite.Others though, are often serial offenders at crying off having accepted the invite to enter.
The possibility of a trip to Twickers isn't attractive to them - so Lord knows why the RFU keep trying to push for 12 team leagues and padding the season out with cup matches.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

avinastella

Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 04:07:23 PM
why don't we just have one cup competition with the chances of some 'giant killing'
we a fine system that if you enter the competition and then fail to to play your game you are fined £1000?
Are we to assume you're not also on the finance committee???
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Shirt filler

Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 11:37:38 PM
I'd personally like to see it go back to the old national cups with a chance to play teams outside our own counties leagues and maybe do away with these cups.