$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Yorkshire Shield

Yorkshire Shield

This is a discussion for the topic Yorkshire Shield on the board Yorkshire 1.

Author Topic: Yorkshire Shield  (Read 15847 times)

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
on: October 12, 2017, 01:43:28 PM
See link: http://yorkshirerfu.pitchero.com/competitions-258/yorkshire-shield-17-18-c2950/

Little bit of a farce that 3 sides are already in the quarter finals without playing a match. (Looks like Keighley have a walkover so they are the third side before anyone asks)

Also without Juggernaut York in the Shield then its really wide open. The winner of Brod v Scarborough will travel away to Selby or Guisborough in quarters.

I hope the semi-finals will be subject to a draw Fredsbar and not just determined by the whether you are lucky enough to be top half or bottom half of the list?

Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

avinastella

Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 03:59:31 PM
No better in the other comps.
At least 2, poss 3, walkovers in the Trophy.

Rightly or wrongly, beginning to look like the County Comps are past their sell by date.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Lee_D

• Finding my feet
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 04:15:24 PM
If it is an end to the county Comps then it will be a real shame, I won the Yorkshire Cup when i was at Leeds many years ago, and was a great occasion, and i was also on the sidelines one of the years that York Beat Ponty at Ionians again, a few years ago now. but again a GREAT day out. it is a pity that most players these days think that a free weekend is a free pass to miss games and go on a sneaky holiday perhaps? times have changed. It is strange how alot of players seem to find Weddings to go to on free weekends? Free weekends are for Catch up League matches, Cup Comps and short training sessions with lots of beer after and nothing else September through May.  And yes this post goes to my players who read this as well as others.

Mink

• Forum old hand
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 04:38:29 PM
100% agree Lee

Dropkicker

• Forum old hand
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 05:52:00 PM
Back in season 2011/12   30 teams entered into the shield this year only 12, none of those teams have gone out of existence, some granted no longer eligible because of their senior status but other teams should have filled those gaps.
Tradition which is what the shield and cup are in Yorkshire is dieing out. Back in day when I used to play in shield and cup it was always the highlight of the season (pre league for some of that time). Tradition is dieing out in many sports maybe we should give in gracefully and let things take there course, in this case simply the league is more important than the cups and accept there isn't the commitment there to play every Saturday from September to May

heathen

• Forum old hand
  • DIGNI ESTE FAVORE
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 10:26:08 PM
Have always been a supporter of the yorkshire cup completions,I remember when they were the highlight of the season,before league rugby, I played in the shield final against Rodillians in the 67/68 season and remember the day well although we lost.however I have mixed feelings now.we plays bradford Salem this sat in the cup and the next week we play them in the league,if we win on sat we would then play beverley in the league Nov 11th and in the cup the week after.it just doesn't seem right to be playing against any club on successive weekends.

avinastella

Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 10:30:58 PM
Have always been a supporter of the yorkshire cup completions,I remember when they were the highlight of the season,before league rugby, I played in the shield final against Rodillians in the 67/68 season and remember the day well although we lost.however I have mixed feelings now.we plays bradford Salem this sat in the cup and the next week we play them in the league,if we win on sat we would then play beverley in the league Nov 11th and in the cup the week after.it just doesn't seem right to be playing against any club on successive weekends.
Unfortunately, the new format made it almost inevitable.
Don't think it's the best decision the blazers have made.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 06:51:56 AM
Fredsbar, I'm still hoping that you will confirm that the semi-final will be a genuine draw out of a hat and not just a continuation of the structural grid.
If it's the later, then should Scarborough's 'knocked together' side be lucky enough to overcome unbeaten Old Brods, then every game played in the shield will be away.

Thanks to clubs (not the YRFU) all the cups are a bit of a shambles this year. At least by making the semi a genuine draw the YRFU can say that they ran a fair and equitable competition, if clubs don't support it, then what can they do??

I also assume that all those that gave walkovers will be barred from entering next year. Even less clubs in next season's competition.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:58:42 AM by backrowbandit »

Sail By

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 10:45:03 AM
Another one bites the dust!!
We will take any type of win at the moment!!

Reg

• One of the boys
Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 10:49:40 AM
Very poor from Guisborough
I think they run 3 teams

heathen

• Forum old hand
  • DIGNI ESTE FAVORE
Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 11:08:14 AM
also if the four games i mentioned earlier are played,all four will be away.

Fredsbar

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 01:07:27 PM
Disappointed to read the comments about the cups, especially the draw. At no time is the draw made to suite us or clubs. The major issue is 14 team leagues, players require rest dates as the game is becoming much more physical. Just read the comments from Dan Cole.
Yorkshire Competitions main aim is to organise cup competitions, if any one has any clear ideas as to how we get round clubs not communicating, not having enough front row players for a cup weekend or not realising that tomorrow is a cup Saturday, then please let me know. We are organising these for clubs. If clubs don't want Cup competitions then please tell us.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 01:30:02 PM
Disappointed to read the comments about the cups, especially the draw. At no time is the draw made to suite us or clubs. The major issue is 14 team leagues, players require rest dates as the game is becoming much more physical. Just read the comments from Dan Cole.
Yorkshire Competitions main aim is to organise cup competitions, if any one has any clear ideas as to how we get round clubs not communicating, not having enough front row players for a cup weekend or not realising that tomorrow is a cup Saturday, then please let me know. We are organising these for clubs. If clubs don't want Cup competitions then please tell us.

Mine was a simple question - will the semi-final be drawn out of hat? I have been very clear if you read my posts that any problems this year are down to the clubs not the YRFU.

Victorm

• Legend
Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 04:16:00 PM
Freds Bar - I'm amazed at your post!
I cannot see any problem at all with 14 Team Leagues. There are plenty of free weeks during the season if you look carefully at the schedule.
I've said it before, 50% of teams are OUT of Cup/Shield competitions after the 1st Round and 75% after the 2nd Round.
As one or two others, I am very slightly 'long in the tooth' and clearly remember the hey-day of Cup/Shield rugby, it was brilliant for all those who
played/watched/took part in any way and very, very competitive. The Yorkshire Cup will always be the oldest (or one of the oldest) cup competitions in
World Rugby.
However, times change, and particularly the attitudes of 'some' players who are quite 'happy' to miss a few games despite rest-weeks already being
built into the League programme. I fully understand that the Leagues, be it Y.1 or Y.4, are the most important part of the majority of players/coaches/
spectators season these days, being an avid follower of Y.1 rugby myself. I am also convinced that most sensible and well run clubs will not want to lose
four games per season (what is this fascination for 12 Team Leagues!), it often seems short enough already - particularly the second half of the season
from a spectators point of view which is somewhat staccato with many gaps; it doesn't help if you are building up a goodly number of regular followers
then have two or three weeks without a home game!
So, that's it. I'm very supportive of keeping the Cup, Shield and Vase competitions. I'm very supportive of the present 14 Team League. I still enjoy my
Saturdays at rugby and I'm fortunate to belong to a very progressive and forward looking rugby club.

Sergeant Stomp

• Forum old hand
Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 05:16:30 PM
Although my team - Ilkley - are no longer allowed to enter, we have had some success in The Shield in recent years, the final is a grand day out and one to savour, thankfully we came out on top in both the most recent ones which helps I suppose?!!?

It does seem a shame that The Shield seems less of a priority?

Here's a thought to assist sides in fulfilling the Fixtures; I now manage our Second Team, coaches often ask about a number of players, so on Cup Weekends scrap the merit league!

That would enable the 4/6 players in the two's, who are pushing First XV Rugby to get a taste of it, factor those in and add the guys who bench a fair bit for the First XV and you have circa half of your starting side! I'm sure most Second XV's have a willy Old Prop who would love a chance to pull on a First Team Shirt again? Stick a couple of promising colts in the mix and your well on the way! The big guns can bench and to coin a phrase - Jobs a good un

Just a thought.