$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Frozen

Frozen

This is a discussion for the topic Frozen on the board Yorkshire 2 .

Author Topic: Frozen  (Read 10907 times)

schming

• One of the boys
Reply #30 on: December 09, 2017, 07:28:34 PM
Post of the day  :)

Dropped It

• Forum old hand
  • Can't catch, won't kick.
Reply #31 on: December 10, 2017, 12:06:21 AM
Haha Rib Flag that pic is of the wrong pitch and the ref was happy to play the game on the pitch we sorted out. Stop being a crank and accept the refs decision like we did. We’re missing lots of players and still put a team out in adverse conditions.

Alot of effort went in to making a game happen and Leos didn’t want to play. After the ref signed it off. Boys on the forum you know the game. Why would we lie?

Ribbflagman

• A little respect please...
Reply #32 on: December 10, 2017, 10:34:19 AM
Only saying from the picture posted. Calm down.

EwokWarrior

• Forum old hand
Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 01:35:43 PM
It doesn't matter how much snow there is, its about how hard the ground underneath is. We played at Brods last year or the year before and they got bored halfway through clearing th pitch so half was still covered in snow. The pitch underneath was still soft though with no hard areas.

Rugby Convert

• Finding my feet
Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 05:48:47 PM
Ponte Spectators View - for what its worth as I know you all love Ponte

Ripon confirmed game was ON shortly after a pitch inspection at 1130am.  Was a little surprised given the weather forecast and knowing how sheltered the Ripon pitch is. Travelled up from Ponte - 40miles by the way.
After arriving, the game was called off due to a frozen/unplayable pitch. I understand that both captains have to agree to play. Ripon said yes, Ponte said no.  Here endeth the conspiracy theories.  Ponte are the in form team visiting with a full strength side.  Ripon a bit hit and miss and as I understand had a few players out.  Why would they decide to travel and not play.  QUITE SIMPLE THE PITCH WAS LIKE CONCRETE IN PLACES.  I went onto the pitch and agree it was not safe to play.  Or do we wait for someone to break an arm or leg.
Selby 2nds also travelled up. SURPRISE SURPRISE. They also did not want to play.
I have some sympathy with the home team as they had a lunch function and a full clubhouse would have been a real bonus.  However, the game should have been called off at 1130.  You only have to look at the games that went ahead. Count them on 2 fingers. Sorry but thats how I feel.
A WASTED 80 MILE ROUND TRIP WHICH COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED

Ribbflagman

• A little respect please...
Reply #35 on: December 10, 2017, 06:31:54 PM
I would like to bet (if I had any money) that the pitch was frozen underneath given the altitude and all games called off down the valley at Heath etc. maybe 200 feet lower towards sea level.

Ripit

• Forum old hand
Reply #36 on: December 11, 2017, 09:11:52 AM
Ponte Spectators View - for what its worth as I know you all love Ponte

Ripon confirmed game was ON shortly after a pitch inspection at 1130am.  Was a little surprised given the weather forecast and knowing how sheltered the Ripon pitch is. Travelled up from Ponte - 40miles by the way.
After arriving, the game was called off due to a frozen/unplayable pitch. I understand that both captains have to agree to play. Ripon said yes, Ponte said no.  Here endeth the conspiracy theories.  Ponte are the in form team visiting with a full strength side.  Ripon a bit hit and miss and as I understand had a few players out.  Why would they decide to travel and not play.  QUITE SIMPLE THE PITCH WAS LIKE CONCRETE IN PLACES.  I went onto the pitch and agree it was not safe to play.  Or do we wait for someone to break an arm or leg.
Selby 2nds also travelled up. SURPRISE SURPRISE. They also did not want to play.
I have some sympathy with the home team as they had a lunch function and a full clubhouse would have been a real bonus.  However, the game should have been called off at 1130.  You only have to look at the games that went ahead. Count them on 2 fingers. Sorry but thats how I feel.
A WASTED 80 MILE ROUND TRIP WHICH COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED

Get over it!

By the way, Ripon had no players missing this week.

Jimmy85

• Forum old hand
Reply #37 on: December 11, 2017, 09:15:35 AM
I would like to bet (if I had any money) that the pitch was frozen underneath given the altitude and all games called off down the valley at Heath etc. maybe 200 feet lower towards sea level.

You'd be a few quid down then.

We had 3 lads unavailable who can play hooker so our captain (prop) was hooking. We were missing our other usual starting prop, both 2nd rowers and 2 back rowers. Would have been an easy option for us to call the game off but their was no good reason to! There wasn't a single hard patch on the 2nd team pitch. Even the 1st team pitch wasn't that bad, we trained on it for an hour and a half after the snowflakes from Leos had scarpered and amazingly, nobody got hurt! It simply comes down to that we wanted a game of rugby, the ref did too, but Leo's didn't fancy it!

If that pitch was dangerous then it's time to give up playing. Pitches are much more dangerous at the start and end of the season when the suns been on them and the ground is firm!

Alf Hart

• Legend
Reply #38 on: December 12, 2017, 02:06:42 PM
I attended Ice bound Ripon last Saturday having been informed from the club  at 12 the game was definitely On . I was a tad surprised but fancied seeing these fancy Dan Pont backs in real time so put my arctic hat on and trudged through the snow .  I was not the least surprised on arriving that the game was off . A brief walk on the pitch made that decision fairly obvious, soft where grass covered and iced mud where it wasn’t . As previously alluded to the game should have been called off mid morning - No argument . Keeping it on because the club was full of lunch mongers is a bit thin, unlike said mongers .
I note big blue 45 and others passing silly comment . I assume those wanting to play were the portly chumps who never get past the speed of a slug or make high speed high impact tackles . There is a very real risk when playing on such inconsistent ground of a very serious lower limb injury- including fractures ( note the ground when hard and dry is not as dangerous because it is consistent)  Why do so many  get their pants in a bunch over obvious decisions when the game will be replayed anyway ? Ponty have moral high ground here , sorry RIP .
I watched ripon training by the way and by eck they looked poor ... best get training lads cos pontefracts devilishly handsome standoff’s moustache could give you the run around !

Locked Out

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
  • Life is serious enough...
Reply #39 on: December 12, 2017, 11:28:32 PM
We're over it now, so roll on February for the rematch. For the record Al, Big Blue 45 is by no means portly, has the speed of a cheetah and leaps like a gazelle. Oh and as far as the training performance was concerned, were you the bloke in the woolly hat watching our 2nd XV playing touch?

Alf Hart

• Legend
Reply #40 on: December 13, 2017, 07:56:26 AM
Lockdoubt

I don’t know what a woolly hat is ?? I was in my best tweed and titfer .
It was the first team I watched on the main pitch as the seconds claimed to be playing Selby ... who then unsurprisingly also refused to play on the frozen tundra .

I had a superior beverage in the club before going carol singing in  Wath ( not S Yorks) .

You confirm my assertion that big blue 45 is one of the front five gormless chumptons then ?

Locked Out

Reply #41 on: December 13, 2017, 10:42:01 AM
Sorry about the mistaken identity Alf, dressed like that you would have blended in with the other farmers. Glad to know you enjoyed some hospitality, presumably in the Ripon clubhouse. Sorry also however, that I won't be drawn into any disparaging comments about our fine pack members. Happy Christmas etc.

Alf Hart

• Legend
Reply #42 on: December 13, 2017, 02:57:54 PM
Lock doubt

I will presume also you are a chubclub member then .( I haven’t referred to Ripon if you notice I was talking generically about the fullsome fivesome)
Compliments of the season to you also.

Locked Out

Reply #43 on: December 13, 2017, 07:40:20 PM
Not exactly the sylph like figure of my youth, nor a fee paying member of the Chubclub (Like it), but as my nickname suggests, have done my time in the "boiler house" in days gone by. Looking forward to a chat over a mutually agreeable beverage at some point.

Alf Hart

• Legend
Reply #44 on: December 13, 2017, 08:56:18 PM
Excellent I’ll provide port you provide Pies . Let you know when I’m your way again  .