Author Topic: Moderators are the backbone of the forum, right?  (Read 471 times)

Offline Dark Arts Advocate

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
Moderators are the backbone of the forum, right?
« on: December 10, 2017, 07:55:58 PM »
The question I ask is do we have an election process on this forum? Or do the moderators self elect?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 01:02:19 PM by Red Horseman »
In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of those we consider to be our allies.

Offline Shirt filler

• A little respect please...
    • View Profile
Re: Moderators are they self nominated? If they are is it right?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 01:16:05 AM »
I was asked by his Lordship if I wanted to be moderator on the Yorkshire 5 board whilst I was playing at that level and a regular user of the forum particularly the Yorkshire 5 board. Not sure how others became mods but assume similar circumstances.

Offline Dropkicker

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
Re: Moderators are they self nominated? If they are is it right?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 07:58:12 AM »
If that's the criteria DAA can't see you getting an invite any time soon 😂😂👎

Offline His Lordship

• God
  • No need to kneel...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Twitter
Re: Moderators are the backbone of the forum, right?
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 02:09:09 PM »
Interesting question....

In the early days, being both the founder of the forum and the person that paid the yearly costs, I looked at regular users of the different sections and reviewed their posts to determine who I thought would make a good moderator. Some people accepted the challenge, some declined, and some just faded away from the forum over time.

However, it's rare that I visit this forum nowadays and in fact we now have a new benefactor for the forum (so new that person has just this week paid to keep it going for the next 12 months), and therefore that person now has the power to decide who, where, what.

Offline Knock On

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 02:52:35 PM »
Interesting question....

In the early days, being both the founder of the forum and the person that paid the yearly costs, I looked at regular users of the different sections and reviewed their posts to determine who I thought would make a good moderator. Some people accepted the challenge, some declined, and some just faded away from the forum over time.

However, it's rare that I visit this forum nowadays and in fact we now have a new benefactor for the forum (so new that person has just this week paid to keep it going for the next 12 months), and therefore that person now has the power to decide who, where, what.

So as DAA now realises that he stands little chance of being elected to the high-falutin position of moderator due to his popularity. Has he now bought such power to usurp his arch rival BRB and the rest of the long standing moderators?

Offline Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 03:04:36 PM »
In his dreams, possibly... ;D

I do agree though that it may be time to review existing Mods, many of whom haven't been seen around for a long time?
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Offline Dropkicker

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 06:53:06 AM »
Used to be more of a "rocker" than a "mod" in my earlier days now I'm not quite sure😀😀😀