$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; The Battling 5?

The Battling 5?

This is a discussion for the topic The Battling 5? on the board Yorkshire 1.

Author Topic: The Battling 5?  (Read 14820 times)

Dark Arts Advocate

• A little respect please...
on: January 31, 2018, 09:40:48 PM
Hullensians down are the relegation candidates for me.
Hullensians May have done enough early season to escape the trap door!
Can’t see Selby getting much from Beverley, Salem at Heath or Hullensions from Wobbly Jug but NR and WH have very winnable home games!
So all to play for!
Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.”

Sail By

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 12:34:25 AM
The interesting thing with these five teams is that one of them will turn over a top four team in their fight for survival.

It happens every year!!
Unfortunately we have played Scabs twice this year so not sure it will be us who does it.

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 06:04:59 AM
The interesting thing with these five teams is that one of them will turn over a top four team in their fight for survival.

It happens every year!!
Unfortunately we have played Scabs twice this year so not sure it will be us who does it.

You've actually played Scarborough three times including the cup. Twice at Selby and once at Silver Royd. This resulted in two bonus point league wins for Scarborough and an away cup win - ner ner  :)

However we are delighted to see your return to form and hope you continue to beat teams at the top of the table...!!
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 06:16:57 PM

It happens every year!!
SB you have chance to prove your point on Saturday. Personally would like to see it. Problem with that though, is it will fill your boys with confidence for the home games to come, including York!

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 09:06:53 PM
Selby have a great opportunity to drag Hullensians closer to the trap door this weekend!

old style prop

• anyone seen me tabs.
Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 11:28:38 PM
As an outsider to Y1, looking in from the depths of Y2, that game at Selby on saturday looks like a possible season deciding game - if Hullensians take the win that should pretty much see them safe. If Selby take the spoils then they would be one big step closer to the great escape for another year with momentum on their side and my old friends over at Hull will be dragged right into the mix.

If im not needed for our 2s think ill travel over and watch that game - should be a belter.

Muted Response

• Calm on the surface, but paddling like crazy below
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 02:27:18 PM
As an outsider to Y1, looking in from the depths of Y2, that game at Selby on saturday looks like a possible season deciding game - if Hullensians take the win that should pretty much see them safe. If Selby take the spoils then they would be one big step closer to the great escape for another year with momentum on their side and my old friends over at Hull will be dragged right into the mix.

If im not needed for our 2s think ill travel over and watch that game - should be a belter.
If you do, seek me out and i'll buy you a beer  ;)
but only if i catch you cheering for Selby  ;D

Ribbflagman

Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 08:39:34 PM
The battle to escape the drop is very intetesting, all the bottom 5 have to play a minimum of 3 of their four rivals. IMO Hull have three hardest run in but have points in the bag. Our next two games at Selby and home against Salem will I feel be pivotal for us. Win this week at Selby and I think we will be safe with maybe 9 points margin. This coupled with our superior points difference should give us an unassailable buffer.
You never know but am looking forward to renewing rivalry with our friends at Selby on Saturday whatever the outcome.
Wheatley seem to be improving but I think they need at least 3 wins from last 7 games which seems unlikely.
For me it's Wheatley and either Selby or Salem but much depends on this week.

Chief Selector

• Forum old hand
Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 03:40:38 PM
I too am looking forward to Saturday my friend.....

See you before and during the game, i might even trip you up!!! I'll be pretty close this time around

Whatever happens we'll share a beer, that's what we do

Oldandslow

Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 04:43:09 PM

It happens every year!!

That does happen some seasons but there are also the wins against sides safe in mid table. They are often coasting to the seasons end, sometimes using the games in April to blood young players.

So I would be looking at fixtures in April against Old Brods, Moortown, Keighley or Old Rish. Think that might help you at Selby as you have Old Rish and Moortown at home in April.

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 05:35:38 PM
I think this thread can be narrowed down to the battling 4 now.  Hullensians dodged a bullet on Saturday and for me probably have enough points on the board to avoid the drop!
Not sure Wheatley can play a cup final every game and come out on top, so the question is who is going to join them in Yorkshire2?

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 05:57:08 PM
Don't know about any of these teams, but over a long season relegations and promotions frequently rely on overall squad strength. Any team relying on one or two key players is likely to suffer. So, who has the greatest depth of player base?
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Ribb Exile in Lancs

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 08:24:03 PM
The Selby  v Ribblesdale clash is pivotal, the winner will take a large step towards safety. Not sure about the strength of the other squads but we should be OK in the forwards, but could be a little fragile in the backs if  we pick up a few injuries. Running  up to the final Saturday there are realistic opportunities for all five to pick up points. If none have reached safety we have an interesting set of fixtures, Ribb ought to win at home to Hills, Salem v Hullensians could go either way & Selby may overcome mid-table Moortown at home. Salem & Hills to go down, but we may yet regret our terrible performance on the opening day at Hills.

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 08:51:20 PM
Don't know about any of these teams, but over a long season relegations and promotions frequently rely on overall squad strength. Any team relying on one or two key players is likely to suffer. So, who has the greatest depth of player base?

Agreed... although sometimes a clubs best 15 just isn't good enough. That's the basis of a league system.
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 09:38:06 PM
I agree with you entirely RH. But its the one or two payers who make a difference to a decent side. Sometimes it is disproportionate. The York tight five benefited massively early season from the return of White and the recruitment of Johnno. However White is out probably for the rest of the season and Johnno has not played every game recently. So the York tight five have struggled for parity on occasions instead of dominating all before them, which has impacted on other areas within the side.
This is particularly evident since Christmas.
Hopefully for York this situation will improve with the ground getting firmer and conditions becoming more favorable for expansive handling rugby, instead of the arm wrestle that January and February conditions usually produce.