$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Yoda

Yoda

This is a discussion for the topic Yoda on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: Yoda  (Read 6073 times)

Relieved

on: March 17, 2018, 07:16:22 PM
Yoda says many of the English players who played today will have played their last game for England. What do you think Red, Stella, BRB and anyone else that has an opinion. Perhaps its Yoda who should be taking the taxi after finishing 5th
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 07:22:54 PM by Relieved »

avinastella

• A little respect please...
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 09:42:02 PM
Yoda says many of the English players who played today will have played their last game for England. What do you think Red, Stella, BRB and anyone else that has an opinion. Perhaps its Yoda who should be taking the taxi after finishing 5th
I'd say don't let your xenophobia cloud your judgement.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 08:04:11 AM
England have been very poor this 6 nations. Its a mystery as to why the forwards looked so weak and the backs so ineffective after being so good for two years?
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Sail By

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 09:08:19 AM
The Lions tour and then straight into a hard season rather than being looked after in the weaker Pro 14.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 09:19:44 AM
England back row is the root cause. No genuine open side. Opportunity to blood the next generation should have been taken to gain the experience necessary for RWC. Probably too late now. Horses and stable doors.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Shirt filler

Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 01:07:45 PM
I personally think that the injury list of England showed that the depth of quality isn't as big as people think. Bringing in the likes of Richard Wigglesworth baffles me 18 months out from a world cup. Blooding younger players would maybe have justified a poor showing with an eye on Japan.

avinastella

Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 01:22:04 PM
Many seemed to agree that the Rugby played against Argentina in the Summer was 'good stuff'.
Why not carry that on?
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

porkies

Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 03:14:30 PM
I endured one of my less than enjoyable days at hq yesterday, blimey was it cold ! The Irish outplayed us and certainly out sang us with Fields of Athenry drowning out chariots.
We are pedestrian and one dimensional, the backs haven’t played with any fluency at all Daly excepted. I agree that a lot of them will be jaded after the Lions but we do need to get a properly balanced back row.

Alf Hart

• Legend
Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 06:19:55 PM
????

I was at HQ and had a marvellous afternoon ... it’s nice if your own team wins but when you see a quality team , emphasis on team, playing well it’s a pleasure as a rugby affecianado surely ?? Ireland are and were on the day very good !!

England’s problem is simple . RH is spot on . A fast technically gifted openside is desperately required by England . The fancy dans were getting the ball virtually standing still at times ...England have some serious pace but it’s no good when you see someone like Johnny May coming in field to run into the opposition forwards as he never gets a ball in space .

Quick front foot ball makes any team  look better . England looked ponderous and one dimensional ie let’s play a power game round the corner ( wherever that is ).

In real time the CJ try was bewildering . I had to watch the replay several times to see what had actually happened .

Eddie jones is a good coach . Where is the mercurial 7 he needs ?

porkies

Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 06:39:32 PM
I had a good time socially Alf and yes Ireland are a fantastic team, I didn’t have high hopes of us beating them tbh...
I would guess that with the academy system of producing players of size and bulk that genuine open sides are becoming a rare breed in England; can’t think of any up and coming ones other than the Curry twins. I’m sure more informed posters could chuck more names into the hat .

Sail By

Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 07:16:48 PM
Porkies I think that you have just highlighted the real problem!!
Academies are taking young back row lads who will not grow above 6ft odd and "suggesting" that they move to hooker. I have seen loads of this happen at Carnegie and saw one lad in my sons age group who played 8 for North of England U16, only to be forced into trying out at hooker. After 9 months the kid told them where to go and happily went back to his club.

So why don't we have any good fetchers in the system....because we destroy them at age 16 in this late developing sport!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:10:07 PM by Sail By »

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 08:00:13 PM
That's disgraceful, but until they move back to hookers actually having to hook, it won't change.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

porkies

Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 08:24:56 PM
Porkies I think that you have just highlighted the real problem!!
Academies are taking young back row lads who will not grow above 6ft odd and "suggesting" that they move to hooker. I have seen loads of this happen at Carnegie and saw one lad in my sons age group who played 8 for North of England U16, only to be forced into trying out at hooker. After 9 months the kid told them where to go and happily went back to his club.

So why don't we have any good fetchers in the system....because we destroy them at age 16 in this late developing sport!

Praise indeed, I’m not used to posting anything useful....!
I do think that if you’re 5ft 10 it shouldn’t mean that you’ll never make it at the top level.

Alf Hart

• Legend
Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 09:45:17 PM
Sail by

You are 100 per cent accurate . I am aware of two tear away excellent young back row  players  one who is a big lad of 14 who  has been told by two RDO’s to switch to hooker . Both are outstanding at their age group at 7 .

In Australia , ( and I know before I cop flak ) young players are encouraged to gain general skills and to enjoy their sport . Here it seems to be a pigeon hole job of choosing players on physical appearance and coaching a skill set into them for a given position .

Number 7 s should be a bit maverick and crazy . England coach automatons !

Shirt filler

Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 09:52:41 PM
Tom Curry is likely to be Englands best option at 7 going forward, a proper 7 that should only get better if looked after properly.